• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yes officer, my bumpers ARE legal....

I hear ya guys, it's a seemingly goofy law - but don't blame the officer for enforcing it - that's what he gets paid to do at the demand of YOU the voters and taxpayers. Don't like the law, get it repealed.

Mr. Hulk, I hope you didn't pay the ticket yet. Seriously, take your jeep and these photos in for your scheduled court date - and the receipts for the materials and show him that you've taken the law seriously. What you've done is a whole lot more than what 99% of the general public would have done. Most just pay the ticket and hope they don't get caught again. I'm betting that the Judge would see your efforts and expense and forgive the ticket - or at the least drop the fines to something more reasonable.

Yours is a great idea for solving the problem! :thumbup:

Good luck!

Without going into my anarchist tendancies... The excuse "I was only doing what I was getting paid to do" and "I was only following orders" has been used to explain atrocities throughout history. Any cop implicitly agrees with the laws they enforce when they put on a badge.

I do not need the government to protect me from myself. If I am concerned about my safety, I'll buy a large vehicle with big bumpers, seatbelts and airbags. I don't need legislation to force me to do so. I ride a motorcycle - does that mean that every other vehicle on the road should be made of nerf?

(Just my opinion. I know not everybody agrees.)

-Mike

I just got pulled over last week for the same thing, only a warning though. In Ill. bumper height for a car is 24", for a truck it is 26". My front is 26" and the rear is 28. The cop told me it is a fix-it-ticket. He also told me he did not like my exposed gas tank, even though the skid is alot more protection than the stock bumper. JIM.

YELLAHEEP said:
I hear ya guys, it's a seemingly goofy law - but don't blame the officer for enforcing it - that's what he gets paid to do at the demand of YOU the voters and taxpayers. Don't like the law, get it repealed.

Mr. Hulk, I hope you didn't pay the ticket yet. Seriously, take your jeep and these photos in for your scheduled court date - and the receipts for the materials and show him that you've taken the law seriously. What you've done is a whole lot more than what 99% of the general public would have done. Most just pay the ticket and hope they don't get caught again. I'm betting that the Judge would see your efforts and expense and forgive the ticket - or at the least drop the fines to something more reasonable.

Yours is a great idea for solving the problem! :thumbup:

Good luck!

As long as his state allows for extended bumpers, a lot of states changed their laws to frame height back in the 80's when all the bigfoot wannabe guys in P/U trucks with triple stacked lift blocks and 44 Hawgs were using those big wide chrome kenworth bumpers to try and get around the laws. If his state is frame height instead of bumper the judge is liable to know and then he'll really have problems.
Mike B.

Re: Only in America!

XJWheelie said:
Got any pictures?

Robert
Northwest Territories

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAPITAL: Yellowknife

WORLD LOCATION: Arctic North America

FIRST LICENSE PLATES IN USE: 1941

MOTOR VEHICLES CURRENTLY REGISTERED: Approx. 40,000

CURRENT SLOGAN: "Explore Canada's Arctic"

FORMER SLOGANS: "Canada's Northland" (1954 to 1969), "Centennial 1970" (1970), "RCMP Centennial 1973" (1973), "Canada" (1971-72, 1974-83).

GRAPHICS USED: Territorial crest was used from 1966 to 1969.

http://www.pl8s.com/n/nwte.htm

I do not think I am allowed to post pictures, however here is the link to the world's most distinctive licence plate!!!

GQ

Re: Only in America!

96inprogress said:
Yeah, but I doubt you have to worry about high-impact collisions either cuz the roads aren't paved. ;)

Don't count on Canada as being snowy and cold and deserted, here in Ontario we are more economically powerful then most states in the US, we are the economic engine of Canada, and are the largest trading partner with the US, ahead of Mexico and Japan. As far as collisions, we have more paved roads then most states, and have the highest tech toll roads (thanks for nothing PC government) and to a lesser degree, traffic issues that are becoming terrible....

As for the N.W.T, well you are right there are not much "paved" roads, but who needs them anyways when you drive an XJ!!! YA!!

lol, its all in good fun.....GQ

Very nice install/ fabrication.

I'm glad we don't have that one to worry about! But we have a maximum frame height mesured at the mid point, front to rear lowest portion of the frame 26" for an XJ, But that goes by the gross vehicle weight rating.

And mud flaps if the area behind your tires are more than 17" from the ground you have to have them. It's a $230 fine for that one.

I didnt pay the ticket. I brought in pictures to the courthouse yesterday and showed that I had fixed it so the hearing clerk dismissed it and removed all my charges, including the ones for being late. Oops.
So, I guess it payed off.

mgolden said:
Without going into my anarchist tendancies... The excuse "I was only doing what I was getting paid to do" and "I was only following orders" has been used to explain atrocities throughout history. Any cop implicitly agrees with the laws they enforce when they put on a badge.

I do not need the government to protect me from myself. If I am concerned about my safety, I'll buy a large vehicle with big bumpers, seatbelts and airbags. I don't need legislation to force me to do so. I ride a motorcycle - does that mean that every other vehicle on the road should be made of nerf?

(Just my opinion. I know not everybody agrees.)

-Mike

Incredible Hulk quote:
"I didnt pay the ticket. I brought in pictures to the courthouse yesterday and showed that I had fixed it so the hearing clerk dismissed it and removed all my charges, including the ones for being late. Oops.
So, I guess it payed off."

.....How do ya like them apples Mr. mgolden????? :looser: So, why do you pay taxes? Why did you bother to get a driver's license in your State and pay your vehicle registration? Because you're "following orders"..... Jeezus, by obtaining your driver's license and registering your vehicle, you've entered into a civil contract with your State to abide by the laws set forth that regulate everyone's use and access to the roads - So, I guess you also "implicitly agree with the laws they enforce" by having done so. Just because you choose to live recklessly doesn't mean EVERYONE else has to.....

Sheesh! Quityerbitchin, leave your "anarchist" views behind and feel free to come back when you're ready to talk XJ's!!!!

Incredible Hulk,

Sorry to kinda hi-jack yer thread, but I'm really glad things worked out for ya!!! :thumbup:

lurk2.gif

i like the fix...of the bumper and the ticket. good going!
as for the cop...we all have a job to do and by enforcing the law he is attempting to make the roads safe for all of us. as for repealing a law...does anybody have an idea how hard it is to repeal a law once it is passed?

In reference to what 86XJ said about some states not allowing for drop bumpers and measuring to the frame instead. In Maryland they measure to the bottom of the bumper or the bottom of the frame whichever is higher. If I ever get hassled I plan to remind the court that an XJ is a unibody vehicle so technicly it does not have a frame. I don't know how well an argument like that would hold up but it would be worth a shot.

Well you see cops only can charge you, its up to the courts to make the conviction, so I recommed fighting a charge if you truly beleive that the cop made an error, or is abusing his/her authority. Ya life is not fair and knowing the law helps out, I myself do not have too much faith in police officers, and thats too bad....

Jeff

mark268 said:
law is the law no matter what it is.

{cut illogical comparison}

How would you feel if one of your loved ones rear ended a vehicle with a high bumper and was killed where a lower bumpr could have saved their lives?

I donno, I guess it's the Law Enforcement officer comming out in me :patriot:

Bumper laws might be ok if they were logical.

Guess which of these two vehicles is illegal in MO?
Image4R-vi.jpg

My Jeep's bumpers are 4" over the limit here, that's on 6.5" and 33" tires. The big red truck does not have bumper limits because of his higher GWV.

Which would you rather have hit you at 40 MPH?

Stupid laws suck :peace: .

Bones :skull1:

.....How do ya like them apples Mr. mgolden????? :looser: So, why do you pay taxes? Why did you bother to get a driver's license in your State and pay your vehicle registration? Because you're "following orders"..... Jeezus, by obtaining your driver's license and registering your vehicle, you've entered into a civil contract with your State to abide by the laws set forth that regulate everyone's use and access to the roads - So, I guess you also "implicitly agree with the laws they enforce" by having done so. Just because you choose to live recklessly doesn't mean EVERYONE else has to.....

Sheesh! Quityerbitchin, leave your "anarchist" views behind and feel free to come back when you're ready to talk XJ's!!!!

Well, looks like I touched a nerve here! :roflmao:

Just because I have a license and vehicle registration doesn't mean I agree with the laws. It just means that I don't have a choice but to pay for those because the government mandated it. People DO have a choice as to their chosen career, though. People also have a moral obligation to think for themselves and not blindly follow what the "authority" say they should do - otherwise how are we different from Nazi Germany?

I love people who are so narrow minded that they mere thought of a dissenting opinion drives them over the edge. :bawl:

Anyway, whatever. I'm not going to change your opinion on politics by a message on NAXJA, and you're not going to change mine. Nice bumper - sucks that you had to build that extension on it though. :)

-Mike

mgolden said:
People also have a moral obligation to think for themselves and not blindly follow what the "authority" say they should do - otherwise how are we different from Nazi Germany?

-Mike

WOW :shocked: !!!!

Comparing Cops who enforce a traffic law that was enacted with the intention to save lives to the Nazis who's sole purpose was to extinguish as many lives as they could.....

You sir, need serious therapy.

Last edited:
YELLAHEEP said:
WOW :shocked: !!!!

Comparing Cops who enforce a traffic law that was enacted with the intention to save lives to the Nazis who's sole purpose was to extinguish as many lives as they could.....

You sir, need serious therapy.

Um, try actually reading what I wrote. Whatever. Name calling really helps your case there. :rolleyes:

It's true what they say... arguing over the internet is like the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded. :moon:

-Mike

Back