• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

truggy just ate your biscuit

Re: Jd's Buggy Build

So on a whim I decided to skip the turn to my work this morning an ride my motorcycle to Cokedale, CO which is just west of Trinidad on HWY-12. There was a tag down there (motorcycle forum game) and I had been itching to get it so southward bound I was at 6:30 this morning. What do you care? Well when freezing your arse off on a motorcycle for nearly 500 miles you have a lot of time to think about things. One of the things I started thinking about was your rig and how I would do it based of what you've said thus far.

Body: Cut the back off just after the c-pillar and weld the hatch to the remnants to cap it. Box in the remaining parts of the rear wheel well and use them for storage, hint hint batteries might fit there if you were to narrow the front. Everything after the "hatch" needs to be tube. Make a little bed area, put the fuel cell right behind the hatch with the filler neck attached to the c-pillar tubing from the cage. Lay the spare tire down behind the fuel cell. Mount a cargo basket on top of the spare so you can still carry crap somewhere other than the roof. I would also cut out the floor under the rear seat and make a deeper, more useable, storage area for spare parts, tools, fluids, etc.

Cage: Mostly an exo cage with just the b-pillar on the inside so it doesn't interfere with opening the back doors. The c-pillar will come straight down after the hatch, I'd do a full on X and cross bar after the hatch. I would run the "dash" bar for the a-pillar through the cowl and run a windshield bar down to it. No angry eye brow either, its played out and does no real good. If you want to intimidate others just park on their hood. After building a little bed area out of tube I would run a bar from the top of the c-pillar to the very back at an angle, giving it the fast back look. Along the roof line I would use 1" tubing to create a cargo basket around the top of the cage. This way I have a good place to put a lot of gear if using it for an extended camping trip. Obviously you need to have an LED light bar both front and rear to light up the world with.

Suspension: 3-link front (maybe use the skid and main arms off the TNT setup as a base) and a single triangulated rear. The lower arms would be angled in from the outsides of the axle towards the center of the rig. The uppers would be mostly straight. This helps keep the lowers out of the rocks and leaves more room above the center of the axle for up travel. I would either go coilover or ORI, the ORI's cost more but negate the need for air bumps and sway bars so it sort of evens out. I'm actually not a big fan of regular air shocks but that's only because I've seen people have issues with them sticking extended or compressed. Not sure of the cause there but its something I've always noticed and not liked. I also think they're more suited to slow speed stuff and I want to go a little fast. Again, around a 105-107" WB at around 5" of lift.

Anywho, those are the quick ideas I came up with. I also built a few motorcycles, ran the TAT on 3 different dual sports, built a VW track car, built a replica TransAm series Camaro, changed my entire military career, and a bunch of other things to keep my mind off the cold and occupied while blazing down I-25 with the cruise set on 85mph.

Last edited:
Jd's Buggy Build

Yes that's about what I had in mind originally except I was planning on eliminating the hatch all together! But after thing more and more I think I want the can sealed if I decide to run doors! That's exactly what I had envisioned in my head for the cage! Have even thought about making several little boxes in the bed area for storage! And also some latch points for all the women stuff tags is needed for camping with 3 females! Also plan to moon ate the rear seat and get some kid seats from PRP tk match my existing suspension seat! That in combo with lowering the floor would make room for a cooler and or tools and part inside as well! While I'm at it I gotta take out the windshield and try to get the a pillar straighter so I quit cracking the damn thing!

As far as suspension some is going to have to wait! Gotta use at least the air shocks for now! For budget reasons but really leaning towards COs in the front

I'm not real ear on the windshield bar through the cowl! You mean inside the cowl under the wiper mounts?

If I could figure out a real clean way of making the hatch come off easily i might give that some thought! I like the idea of a open back in the summer, but not the winter! Thanks for the thoughts!

I'm trying to just really think this thing out so it can be the last time I build THIS one!

With a single triangulated 4 link, wouldn't need a pan hard?

Jd's Buggy Build

And BRRRRRRR MAN. That don't sound like much fun at all!

Re: Jd's Buggy Build

Single triangulated has no need of a panhard bar.

Yes, the "dash" bar would go through the fenders and into the cowl area (under the little plastic cover) where the wiper motor and linkages sit. Then the vertical windshield bar would drop through the plastic cowl cover and connect to the "dash" bar.

I actually enjoyed the ride for the most part. There was one point as I came into Colorado Springs that I wanted to give up, so I went into a store and walked around for a good 40min to warm up. Then I bought warmer socks, hand warmers, and heated insoles (same stuff as the little hand warmers but for your feet). After that I was good to go. Lesson learned however, I'm not doing that again until I get some proper heated gear. Gloves and socks for sure, maybe a vest too. I've ridden in colder, but never for that length of time or distance. There is just no way for you to stay warm (talking core temperature) for that long w/o some kind of a heat source. Needless to say once I got home I immediately drank a cup of coffee and took a long shower.

Wendy's, I'm a cry baby, buggy build

Well played, ya short little beaner!

Re: E is just jelly 'cuz he won't be able to reach the doors buggy build

Settle down kids, or I'll turn this bus around

Re: Jd's UglyBuggy Build

If you're doing that much work up front then I would ditch the coils.

Somebody just mentioned ORI's and those really appeal to me but I have no personal experience with them.

A lot of people dislike Radius arms as they tend to bind at the axle and can limit flex or start tearing mounts off when flexing them hard. I myself am not against them, but I do feel a 3-link or triangulated 4-link is better.

Radius arms are also more prone to unloading on a steel climb under power.

If you're happy with them keep them, you can always change it later. It wouldn't be hard to take the upper links off the main arms and run a separate upper control arm back to the frame as a way to convert it to a 3-link either.

Just for the folks who love to say Radius arms bind and do not flex...this is not even maxed out ...
DSC_0459640x480.jpg
DSC_0457640x480.jpg

Re: yet another, I'm never gonna wheel it, build thread

Coilovers sure do look fancy ,but I highly doubt you'll see any real benefit to cost ratio making them worth the money spent if just running one basic type of terrain . Find a good set of coils that offer enough rate to be stable but still flex well and run a decent set of shock and call it good . I did see someone mention the PUSH OFF that coils can exhibit , but coilover shocks exhibit the same trait . If you need the mult rate set up of a coilover then by all means run them ,but I highly doubt you will so you'll just be spending cash on the packaging of having you coil over your shock in one unit ...lol...what's next advocating $3,000 per corner tripple bypass shocks for a slow speed rock crawler primarily running the trails here in colorado ?

LOL! Somebody keeps messing with the titles of this thread...... Bringing the phunnay....:roflmao:

yet another, I'm never gonna wheel it, build thread

LOL! Somebody keeps messing with the titles of this thread...... Bringing the phunnay....:roflmao:

OMG like you have any room to talk, last time you hit the trail, mullets where in style!

Just for the folks who love to say Radius arms bind and do not flex...this is not even maxed out ...
DSC_0459640x480.jpg
DSC_0457640x480.jpg

Agreed, everyone always says how the bind and don't flex and sheet yet I. The next sentence their talking about how my jeep flexes so much my kids can stand under it! Haha! Coil overs just aren't gonna happen right away, I might go with air shock to match the rear but! Money is getting right so probley gonna stay with the coils and WE remote Res shocks!

DSC_0459640x480.jpg
DSC_0457640x480.jpg

Not to be a dick cause your xj is a lot more built than mine... But it does look like the rear is working a lot more on that flex then the front is... This meaning something is un balanced...

For the build that is being discussed would "I" put coilovers in.. Yes. Can you get away with coils? Of course.. Tried and true.. Though even my expo rig at 5" lift on 33's I look at the cost/benefit of coilovers and will be upgrading ASAP just to bypass the camber/bucket/pinion bs and the tune ability. If you have the opportunity to build your xj accordingly to run coilovers and have the time to pinch the pennies I would skip the coil idea and go straight to 2.5 CO's.

I am confused why you would be running a 44 in front, that's kind of digressing in the overall potential of this build... And the coils would only highlight the fact. Understandably funds are always the problem but with what is available and how "buggies" are now being built it seems that what you are thinking is not up to the times and all these questions have been asked... My $0.02 and will be looking forward to the build!

Last edited:

Running the 44 cause I just honestly don't want to or think that I need anything bigger/heavier! I ran 35s in a stock 30 for yrs and hardly ever broke! So I don't see the 37's on a built 44 a problem, I'm a light foot driver so I just don't see it being a issue!

I get it, but what if...

What if you want to bump up the exit of carnage and not pull line..
What if you want to hit 21 and dump the throttle...

It seems like if your dropping the coin just go big, your not going to loose much if any ground clearance bumping to a 60..

With all you will be putting in to it, would you really want to run at the end of the convoy of the other built rigs for the possible what ifs a 44 will bring?

Last edited:

Not to be a dick cause your xj is a lot more built than mine... But it does look like the rear is working a lot more on that flex then the front is... This meaning something is un balanced...

QUOTE]

really depernds on what end you lift a vehicle from as to where the weigh transfers and what flexes most first ...I've not seen anymore balance in XJ with 3 link...4 link...and double tri link front that this .balance comes not just from suspension type but ...weigh distribution...shock location...coil rates...suspension geometry ,which perfect geometry is a pipe dream in most cases since you have limits where you will place your links ...

But if you're looking to lift a front tire and see the front and work exactly identical in all situations ...lol...GOOD LUCK...as i stated weight transfer will dictate what flexes first and how much , so here it is lift from transfering weight to front ...I'm pretty sure it works about same as rear ....
DSC_0461640x480.jpg

Well, that's a fair point but just not gonna happen I already have ALL the parts for the 44. If I decide I need a 60 I can always do that and keep the 44 for my daughters rig I'll be building next!

Don't want to hi jack so this is it... but even with weight transfer your rear is absorbing some of that flex when it is being lifted, when your front was lifted it just absorbed in the rear. The angle of your axle to body details what I am describing.

The reason I'll say to go air shock or coilover in the front is because of all the work you're talking about doing in the front with the cage, axle swap, truss, and suspension it'll be a lot simpler, cleaner, and easier to just add some tabs and run air shocks or coilovers than run the coil springs and shocks.

I get the money aspect, but air shocks are fairly cheap.

Back