• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Triangulated 4 Link

Caged94XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at putting a triangulated 4 link in my XJ in the rear. I wanted to find out from some of you guys who have done this, what worked, what didn't, and how you did the math for where to place the cross member and link length? If you are going to ask what I have, it is a 94 2 door with extended wheel wells and I am trying to put 37s with a trussed 9 in. When all said and done I want a 107" wheel base and 9" of lift and 16" of suspention travel. I am doing research on my own as well, but there is a lot out there. I know there are a few of you out there who have done this. I want to know what you guys did that you like and what you would do different.

I would cut the back half of the jeep off and start from there.

Then you can get to here.
17.jpg

David is just a damn web wheeler!
Look at all those posts he's made in the last...what....five years?
He can't drive, or fabricate.....I'm sure someone else did all the work
on his junk anyway...

:D

Rick

I am looking at trying to keep the body on the Jeep.

Even though I left most of the body on mine, I did end up going through the floor for the upper links. Here are some pics that show my basic setup.

DSC01562.JPG

DSC01558.JPG

DSC01603.JPG

rear4.JPG

upper2.JPG

Before cutting...

upper3.JPG

4link.JPG

i was asking the same questions. no one around really new what they were talking about. so i did research on my own CHASSIS ENGINEERING by HERB ADAMS was a huge help

madmax said:
i was asking the same questions. no one around really new what they were talking about. so i did research on my own CHASSIS ENGINEERING by HERB ADAMS was a huge help

They know what they are talking about, but no one listens anyways:dunno:

Thanks for the info. I was hoping more people would put input in, however looks like the four link guys can't type. :rof:

Caged94XJ said:
Thanks for the info. I was hoping more people would put input in, however looks like the four link guys can't type. :rof:

:bawl:

:rolleyes:

No one answered because you asked a vague generic question that has been asked dozens of times. We're not going to sit and type out another basics-of-a-4-link thread when the same thing exists in plenty of places around this forum and others.

Everything you need to know about my rear suspension is in that diagram. If you can't understand it, then you need to do more research and figure out what all the terms mean and what characteristics cause what behavior. I'm not saying you have to teach yourself - I'm more than willing to help out here - but at least get to the point where you can ask specific questions and be able to understand the concept of what you're asking about.

Or, get some string and spend some time under your jeep, set something up, post pictures, and then ask about it. The chances of someone else having precisely your setup, your center of gravity, and your set of requirements for its performance are virtually nil. You have to approach this with a very specific idea of what you want to accomplish, how you want it to behave, and exactly what modifications to the vehicle you're willing to make to let that happen.

vetteboy said:
:bawl:

:rolleyes:

No one answered because you asked a vague generic question that has been asked dozens of times. We're not going to sit and type out another basics-of-a-4-link thread when the same thing exists in plenty of places around this forum and others.

Everything you need to know about my rear suspension is in that diagram. If you can't understand it, then you need to do more research and figure out what all the terms mean and what characteristics cause what behavior. I'm not saying you have to teach yourself - I'm more than willing to help out here - but at least get to the point where you can ask specific questions and be able to understand the concept of what you're asking about.

Or, get some string and spend some time under your jeep, set something up, post pictures, and then ask about it. The chances of someone else having precisely your setup, your center of gravity, and your set of requirements for its performance are virtually nil. You have to approach this with a very specific idea of what you want to accomplish, how you want it to behave, and exactly what modifications to the vehicle you're willing to make to let that happen.

x2

I appreciate the information you guys have given me. I found the program that vetteboy used to generate that data. Guess I will take some picture and get very specific with my question.

Why compromise when you can get to here WITH the full body.

2.5" X 16" travel Fox AirShox

ID1137199100.jpg

ID1137199099.jpg

Copyofantiroc1.jpg

Okieline2.jpg

Okieline3.jpg

David Taylor said:
Then just stick with leafs. A good set will work just as well as a 4-link.
That's just a rediculous statement.
Yes, a good set of leafs will work fine.

As good as a well designed 4 link?
Not even close. Deavers or not.

Last edited:
kid4lyf said:
That's just a rediculous statement.
Yes, a good set of leafs will work fine.

As good as a well designed 4 link?
Not even close. Deavers or not.

Well Lets look at last weekend. Cracker made a fall that Farmer Matt and Goatman didn't. Now cracker is on 42's, but Matt is running 40 stickies.
Goatman has water in his front 37 stickies.

Paul has leafs on the back of his rig and has not been held back by them at all. Plus there is no need for a swaybar with leafs. With the full body trying to
make the shocks fit it looks like you had to mount them way to close at the top. This is the kind of thing you could without if you keep leafs.

I would tend to concur. I'm not seeing anyone with links having any significantly better performance than a well set up set of leaves has, everything else being equal.

I've found myself tuning more towards leaf pack type parameters, verses maximizing on the openings a link set up gives you.

--ron

Back