• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The official Xota build thread

wow...after reading 22 pages, and drooling over the work (of which I could not have done 1/100th of) there is nothing good that can be said that has not been said already.... except out-f'ning-standing!

Beast

Thanks for the compliments! Stay tuned, big changes planned this winter.
Dsc00049.jpg

Full widths, rear 9" with 4-link coil over. Should have just done this from the start, i'll be buying my 5th locker for the 9"and my 5th & 6th gear sets, since I first started wheeling the 87XJ in 2004

dfreeman616 said:
perhaps i just missed it as i was re-going through it, but what size tube did you use for the roll bar and bed?

1.75"

MG2000XJ said:
so how exactly do you say "xota"? haha

I say x - ota, but zota is good to

Last edited:
87xjco said:
Finally put in the vinyl carpet. It fits pretty good but my modified trans. tunnel is different then the stock Toyota so it's not perfect. I also have the XJ console in place, pass. seat is out temporarily for more room on the trip.
Dsc02499.jpg
How'd that dash end up fitting? This is the only pic I've seen of the interior at all.

Vanquish said:
You couldnt just buy a commanche?!?!
I think he's waiting for you to spell Comanche. ;)

RockControlXJ said:
Why swap another 44 in?? Just go to 1 ton and stop the constant axle swaping.

Good point, I keep telling myself i'm never going larger then 37's and I won't buy a truck and trailer.

So A HP44 and a 9" should be all I need, but who knows?

feerocknok said:
How'd that dash end up fitting? This is the only pic I've seen of the interior at all.

It's still pretty rough, it's bolted up and works fine, but it could use a filler panel up by the windshield and some other cosmetic work.

I'll post up a couple pic's, but it's no priority to me, it's a "one of these days" project!

This thread has gotten so big it's hard for people to follow, so I usually just post my latest projects in new threads.

Nothing new on the interior.

HP44 install is almost done, thread here

DSC04221.JPG

Tri-link upper arm has been built but not tested yet thread here

The Ford 9" install is also almost done thread here

DSC04223.JPG

Latest specs are

Front Diff.
HP44 with Detroit and 5.13 gears
Knuckle rotation and shortened left side to Waggy width
Homebuilt Truss
BTF Hi-steer arms
Redneck Ram Hydro Assist
RE 7.5" coils
Yukon 4130 Alloy Shafts
Home built Tri-link UCA (that probably won't work:sad1:)

Rear Diff.
Ford 9" with large pinion bearing upgrade
Detroit Locker and 5.13 gears
Homebuilt trussed and shaved housing
31 spline factory axle shafts
Alcan 7 leaf springs

Any updates on this project? its been a while.

I thought this project hit a wall at high speed... ? :eyes:

Terry was on his way with us to Moab when his newly fabricated wishbone suspension came apart. When the upper wishbone broke it cause the Xota to shoot towards the guard rail where it hit pretty violantly forcing the front axle to push and roll under the truck till it basically was 90 degrees from where it was originally mounted. Terry was lucky that he was not hurt, the vehicle did not roll, and that he did not hurt or kill anyone else. It is a great learning experience for allot of people. Fabricating your suspension, especially a new design, has risks.

Dsc04395.jpg

Dsc04396.jpg

Dsc04397.jpg

Dsc04400.jpg

Dsc00437.jpg

The Xota will live again!!

I'm in no hurry to rebuild it, but it will get rebuilt, I'll start a thread whenever I get started. Frame and body are O/k but the Exo needs a couple tubes replaced. The vehicle did end up on it's right side after hitting the guard rail.

Surprisingly the front diff. housing was o/k (the pinion snapped off so I had to throw some gears in it) and it's in my XJ now. The 9" center section from the Xota is also in my XJ. I knew I'd need 1 ton axles because I want to build it to run 40's or bigger this time, so I stole the axles, and the tires, and a few other things from it, for the XJ.

I picked up a 14 bolt just a few days ago that could become the new rear axle for it,
DSC02169.JPG

I'm just waiting for the day when a HP60 comes along for a few hundred dollars :looney: Then I'll be set!!

Back