• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sound deadening and insultaion.

I wish I could afford that.

X2.

I just got done with doing this same project to my DD.
Between a couple of rolls of Fatmat, new carpet with mass backing and lining the front wheel wells with the asphalt flashing from Home Depot i can say it made a big differance in the road noise, road vibrations and heat into AND out of the cab.

I lined the whole interior body minus the front firewall b/c i didnt feel like pulling the whole dash off for just that.

Id say i would compare this to doing something like a throttle body spacer..alone its pretty much worthless but when u add up all the small things its a noticable difference.

Just my input on the asphalt flashing...it has very little tack imo. if the surface your putting it to isnt really clean...ie dust..dirt..maybe rubberizer or hurc..it dont like to stick well. i used the hose then brake cleaner and my air hose to do the front wheel wells.

The asphalt flashing likes to dry up, crack, and then fall off too. I used it on the outside of the trunk and in the fenderwells of my nova a few years ago. This was years ago but I doubt it's changed all that much.

I used 2nd skin audio

100sq ft Damplifier Pro. - Double layer in cargo area single layer on the floor everywhere else.

Heat Wave pro maybe 18-24sq ft replaced all front carpet.

36sq ft Luxury Liner Pro - for all of floor. (This stuff is heavy and works great for sound damplifier)

1 sheet of Thermal Block and I made a double layer injector insulator with the stock insulator. (Is quite cool now and have seen no ill effects. Though this stuff does have an adhesive backing if that matters)

It ain't a caddy hahaha, far from it. But at highway speed I can hold conversations instead of yelling competitions.

im a tight wad, and sprayed undercoating from autozone and then layed down water heater insulation ($9 for a 4x8') sheet with headliner adhesive holding it down. but did have some stinger tar mat laying around and used some of that too

im am bumping this thread because id love to hear more about these products

im removing my door panels next week and wanted to get something to spray inside the doors to help with sound. i was hoping to find a product that i could also use under my xj. i suppose an undercoating is what is going to be suggested eh...?

anyone have experience with the duplicolor stuff? it seems readily available at quite a few places in town and if it works id be willing to try it out.

FWIW,

I've applied sound deadening to the entire inside of my rig, and it was worth every penny and every hour it took. I sprayed the majority of sheetmetal with the Duplicolor spray on undercoating/sound deadening, let it dry, and then covered with their foil backed rubber deadener. The rubberized coating was put down primarily to seal the floor to prevent rust, while the thick rubber strips do most of the sound absorbtion. Works great, and I think I paid around $300 and took about 10hrs.

I used 3M Body Schutz for my undercoating. I didn't notice much of a difference. One problem I found with rubberized undercoating is transmission fluid destroys it. Most undercoating is designed to reduce corrosion and offer protection against flying rocks with some sound deadening. If used under your vehicle find something that is more specifically designed for sound deadening and is resistant to oil. Leaks happen.

I just recently recovered my headliner and while it was out I added some Dynamat Extreme to the roof. With the liner out, I noticed that the flimsy sheet metal of the woof would vibrate noticably. It wouldn't cause a buzzing noise or anything like that, but pressing on the roof to stop the vibrations would reduce the low boomy noise it was making. I did not use full coverage on the roof, probably 25-30% in the center of the panels (which is actually a recommended amount) and it made a small, but noticeable difference. After reinstalling my headliner, I can say that it is a little quieter inside. This was the first step for me, next I plan on putting some inside the doors and then on the floors. I'll probably switch to FatMat or Second Skin to save a few bucks and also use a thin sound absorbtion material over it.

I think it's worth it. A couple hundred bucks and some time will make your Jeep much more comfortable.

Just ordered 80 sqft of Regular Damp, 40 mils w/black 6.5 mil foil. 20 sqft of Alpha Damp which is 60 mils thick inluding a 10 mil foil. Gonna put the Alpha damp at my feet and cover as much as possible everywhere else. What areas should I start to yield the best results?

I'd like to see some pics of peoples Damp installs for some encouragement to give it hell.

The front kick panels can really use the dampening since that is where a lot of the tire noise gets transmitted.

Keep the ideas coming! When I have my dash out to replace the heater core/evaporator I'm definitely gonna look into some serious sound deadening.

Keep the ideas coming! When I have my dash out to replace the heater core/evaporator I'm definitely gonna look into some serious sound deadening.

Not sure on yours, but mine has some noise blocking treatment on the firewall from the factory.

The best way to block noise is through mass. Some companies came out with materials just for that: Second Skin's Luxury Liner Pro and Sounddeadenershowdown with MLV. From the factory the XJ has a similar material ('dense' vinyl and some foam under it) on the whole firewall.

IMO the standard treatment will be effective, the gains may be too small to justify the work needed to get to metal and deaden it. If you were to add a denser vinyl, that would be better.

I just laid down some of the noisekiller material i mentioned earlier in this thread on the trunk skin of my DD car, and man what a difference. it took longer to dry than it did to get it apart and back together, and all vibration is gone from the stereo system... I even put some on the back side of the lic plate for good measure :D no more rattles whatsoever.

How I did mine
P1310045.jpg

P2110057.jpg

Back