• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Selling my JK, going for an XJ - am I crazy?

I would keep the JK.

Robert 771 said:
A little more diggin revealed:

The JK's wheelbase is 15" longer.
Overall, the JK is 18" longer, 12" wider, and 7" taller.

The approach angle is even, breakover is 4* better for the XJ, and departure is 6* for the JK.

I know these don't really address the OP's questions, but I was surprised to see the JK is actually that big...

Robert

Wow.. didn't realize it was a foot wider!! 7" taller too.. Jeez.

I'd rather have the XJ any day. Our engine is better too

Robert 771 said:
A little more diggin revealed:

The JK's wheelbase is 15" longer.
Overall, the JK is 18" longer, 12" wider, and 7" taller.

The approach angle is even, breakover is 4* better for the XJ, and departure is 6* for the JK.

I know these don't really address the OP's questions, but I was surprised to see the JK is actually that big...

Robert

The JK is bigger. But I think the width number is in misleading because it includes the JK's HUGE plastic "flenders". I drove an XJ yesterday and the interior width is very similar. The XJ might be wider (definitely more hatch width). As long as the unibody holds together, I'll welcome the extra ground clearance. Oh, 116" wheelbase = very smooth ride!

XJDP96 said:
i have owned my xj for almost two years and have had no problems. just keep up on it and it will be good to you. i would look at a 99 and older because i don't trust the newer heads, other than that i don't think you could go wrong with an xj.

The Header issue comes on every model XJ. I just replaced mine on a 95 it only had about 115,000 miles on it. If you have to replace yours get a header with flex joints on it.

xjs are great DDs. find one thats has minimum/no rust (find me a 20 year old vehicle where rust isn't a problem lol) build one a budget and have fun. I have had 3 xjs I DD'd and wheeled, only got stranded once and that's cuz I was dumb and sunk the poor thing, once i drained the water outta the block it ran like a charm again :D Best part about xjs is there are cheap to fix. parts are dirt cheap

kinlawk said:
The Header issue comes on every model XJ. I just replaced mine on a 95 it only had about 115,000 miles on it. If you have to replace yours get a header with flex joints on it.
Head and header are completely different parts

winkosmosis said:
Wait, did anyone say to look for the Chrysler 8.25 rear diff and Dana 30 high pinion front? Because that is what you should do

X2 if you will go with 33's or even 35's. Stay with a '98 or '99 model.

I drove mine for a year and put 25,000 miles on it before I parked it in favor of a new Civic. I loved it as a DD and miss it terribly on the weekdays, but it is always waiting for me when I get home. My XJ is like man's best friend.

Last edited:
If you are wanting an SUV that you can drive to the grocery store via the nearest local trail :D buy an XJ. yeah those JK's are the shit but I love my XJ. Plus its about 25k less than one too. i am sitting at 124k w/ 235s and a RE BB. Mainly because i don't have the funds to run 4.5 and 32s what with the extra cost of the SYE and larger tires and re-gearing

I love the unibody way better then a frame imo, and I have had both. I weel my '01 hard and it holds up great, one of my friends has a '01 tj 4.5 rubicon express lift and 33's, other friend has a 4 door JK rubicon, with 3 inches of lift and 35's I sit stock with fender triming and 31's and I go everywhere they do. And we get into some real rocky canyons. My XJ flexes wa better then either of there jeeps, I wouldnt trade them for the world, and the price you cant beat it.

hagermanfolley said:
I love the unibody way better then a frame imo, and I have had both. I weel my '01 hard and it holds up great, one of my friends has a '01 tj 4.5 rubicon express lift and 33's, other friend has a 4 door JK rubicon, with 3 inches of lift and 35's I sit stock with fender triming and 31's and I go everywhere they do. And we get into some real rocky canyons. My XJ flexes wa better then either of there jeeps, I wouldnt trade them for the world, and the price you cant beat it.

For the cost of a JK, I'd rather have like 5 XJs, enough to last a lifetime.

poorboy_616 said:
I am using a 21 year old XJ as my DD. Only minor issues with brake lines and floor pan rust (very minor).

www.cardomain.com/id/poorboy_616

Click on the XJ of course......

most likely thats a government xj with full skids and a d44 rear.......lucky

kidcahtah said:
anyone have a link where to buy those hood vents from the first two pics in this thread? They look mint

They're hood vents out of a Chrysler Lebaron. I got them on ebay. Back on topic, I still say(and so did the girl) that my XJ with 4.5" lift and 33s rode better than her stock 4dr JK. The AT in hers coupled with that V6 was pretty crappy too. Got worse mileage than mine, and felt like it had less oomph. It was also nothing but blind spots, the rear view mirror was almost useless. Go drive around some XJs and see what you think. That alone may make up your mind if 3 pages of fans haven't.

mizedog said:
Is it possible for an XJ to hold together as a daily driver, and do weekend warrior trips (I'm hoping for 33's, or at most 35's)?

Remember, I like XJs, but I know the doors can literally fall off the unibodies

Back to your original questions (I admit I was one of the guys who sent the thread spiralling... sorry.)

It really depends on how you treat it.

I bought my 89 in 02, with an ORFW Member 1991 sticker on it. It had been wheeled (gently) for eleven years, and was still in very respectable shape.

I, however, have built it bigger and beat it harder, and to the untrained eye it probably looks like it's ready for the scrap heap. That's why you see many getting cut up or tubed: We use them harder than you can imagine...

Take care of an XJ, and it'll last forever.

Treat it like I treat mine, and it'll look like it already has been around forever!

Robert

It won't be as big or posh, but if the size and then niceness isn't a big deal, you can pick one up for cheap for sure and don't look back.

Dunno much about rough country, but most people LOVE Rubicon Express Mfgr. Probably will cost more then RC, but you get what you pay for I think :D.

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/

I've had my '91 XJ since 1998. I have been DDing it ever since and currently have 206,000 on the original running gear (except for the voluntary axle swap:). I have a 3" lift, JKS disco's, 31's and gears, among other things. It's a work in progress. My buddy has a '08 4 door Rubicon with 4" and 35's. Occasionally he gets stuck on obstacles after I have already cleared them...go figure. It must be the 1000+ lb. weight difference? Either that or the crappy driving.

I can't say enough good things about the XJ, it's reliability, and it's off-road capabilities. You can daily drive this thing for a LONG time. I also get 19+ mpg on the highway. You can't do that with a JK!

Find one with minimal rust, like the other guys have said. Rust sucks when it comes time to remove bolts...argh.

Here's a picture of my mild "constant work in progress" XJ...not as $hardcore$ as the other guys on this site, but sure is fun!
492-9243_IMG.jpg

XJ AV8R said:
I've had my '91 XJ since 1998. I have been DDing it ever since and currently have 206,000 on the original running gear (except for the voluntary axle swap:). I have a 3" lift, JKS disco's, 31's and gears, among other things. It's a work in progress. My buddy has a '08 4 door Rubicon with 4" and 35's. Occasionally he gets stuck on obstacles after I have already cleared them...go figure. It must be the 1000+ lb. weight difference? Either that or the crappy driving.

I can't say enough good things about the XJ, it's reliability, and it's off-road capabilities. You can daily drive this thing for a LONG time. I also get 19+ mpg on the highway. You can't do that with a JK!

Find one with minimal rust, like the other guys have said. Rust sucks when it comes time to remove bolts...argh.

Here's a picture of my mild "constant work in progress" XJ...not as $hardcore$ as the other guys on this site, but sure is fun!
492-9243_IMG.jpg

I love the narrow tall look

Lots of good points made here. Most importantly: 99 with a 8.25 rear is a great base to start with. IMO any lift over 4-4.5" long arms are the way to go if you plan to DD it.

XJ AV8R said:
I also get 19+ mpg on the highway. You can't do that with a JK!

Great points and nice rig. Thanks.

But, I'm consistently getting between 19.5 and 22 mpg in the JK (with stock 32" tires)! My last tank was 21.5 (calculated, not by the trip computer) and that included a full day on the trail in low range at Twin Cone). But, I expect to get less out of an XJ with bigger tires. That's ok with me because I'll be getting rid of a car payment, and getting cash in pocket from selling the JK.

Back