• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project FSJ diesel

Nice! Welds are definitely improving. This thing is gonna be beautiful!

started cutting the square tubing for the new spring hangers for the 14 bolt

0110131616_zpsabdeaf72.jpg

i need to figure out how to get the old bushings out of the leaf springs. last time i did a set of leaves i had a good ole bushing bbq, but i know thats not too enviro friendly. ill probably have to pay money to get them out again this time :( i also need 1-2 sets of stock xj shackles. the shackles on this truck were toast, so i need to get some new ones and the xj stockers are actually the exact same thing. i took two sets to the scrapyard before i bought the truck...go figure.

how much does sheet metal go for these days? i think i have a dumb idea that i might try to fix my box sides first myself to see how it goes. i know sheet metal is tough, but my welder seems to do a great job with it. they sell full replacement sides for the j10 boxes, but mine isn't to bad so im thinking i can do a little sheet metal work to fix it. i want to try one small part on my own to see how it goes, if i flub it up a little it should be able to be fixed...if i flub it up a lot, then i'll be able to just buy a full replacement side...seems like a good enough reason for me to try it at least!

the plan for now is to get the axles under the truck...front is already there...back should be done next week. then i am going to drop the engine on the frame, hook up the radiator, change the oil, prime the fuel system and start that baby up...at that point i'll have a lot more peace of mind that this motor will run once the whole thing is back together...let the fun begin

Man, if I were you I would do the bed sides now. You're putting so much effort into this why not do it right the first time. I hate redoing projects. Bondo is not a permanent fix, its a fix to sell option.

Fore 'my 2 cents' Wheeler

Man, if I were you I would do the bed sides now. You're putting so much effort into this why not do it right the first time. I hate redoing projects. Bondo is not a permanent fix, its a fix to sell option.

Fore 'my 2 cents' Wheeler

you're probably right...the company that makes the box sides is in maumee oh. they run $180 per side. i almost had them ordered when they told me it would be $150 to ship...but what they meant was $150 a side. so for new bedsides shipped it would be $660. im really not in a hurry...but you are right. i would hate to get 80% done with one side, only to f-it up and have to do it over again with the real bedsides. i will probably just hold off until i am either making a trip to new york again, or if i can find someone who is coming through that way and heading west...

who knows, maybe someone will be passing close to maumee on the way to wf 13...

anyone :wave1:

How far from ft Wayne?

Or Manche?

I bet we could get them to Attica...

mac 'Midwest freight train' gyvr

Pretty sure this is on hold, since he moved back to NYC.

JIM.

less than 2 weeks...im excited to have a place to work in it when it gets here!

i also found this about 20 miles away from where my shop will be located...it has all the fenders i will need and a gladiator grille...

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/3831145235.html

i also think i will be selling the motor for the truck before i leave. I'm worried about it riding well in the back of the 24' truck because of the size and weight of it. i've located several running trucks with the same motor out here. so i offered to sell it to a guy in iowa and keep the motor mounts, adapter, flywheel and my upgraded turbo. then i can use the money to buy a complete truck, pull the motor and sell the rest of the truck for scrap. they bring a good chunk of change at yards because of the aluminum box and the weight of the axles and frame...could sell my motor for 1k, buy a truck for 1k and make 500-600 in scrap/parts...and i have a motor that already runs that wouldn't need any mechanical work. delivery trucks are certainly a lot more frequent out here!

If you do I think I might know someone who would buy the rest of the gladiator donor truck in a few months... :eyes: maybe.

it will live again!

gettin ready to put the truck...inside the truck :)

0608132026a_zpse1af634c.jpg

who says you cant fit a pickup in the back of a budget truck???

0608132026_zps5732262f.jpg

at this point...i am pretty much married to this project. i sold my isuzu motor before leaving to save some space in the truck (kept the motor mounts, gm tranny adapter, upgraded turbo and the hydro plumbing) and i've already found some more potential donors that are currently running. the new shop space is great...way more room. fully stocked with tools and it has a 60 gallon compressor and a woodstove. he didn't have a welder, so i held onto my little miller for now. i will be going up there this weekend to do some more arranging (as you may have seen the trip did not go very smoothly) but i hope to actually get it rolling soon so i can rust proof and paint the frame...i'm excited to get going again! i missed out on the old gladiator pickup though. so i'm back in the market for a rhino grille if anyone comes across one.

also on a side note if you are EVER in maumee ohio...you have to stop by the Z M Jeeps shop there. very cool collection of jeeps and parts for all makes and models. i got brand new bedsides there for the j10 for $360 for both sides! unfortunately the owner wasnt around or i probably would have spent some more money :) it was actually on the way back to i80 from mac's house so it at least that part of the trip worked out!

Holy crap, 360 for BOTH?!

That settles it, next time I go to WF I am grabbing a set on the way home. Because I know I am going to get a J10/J20 project eventually.

yes sir...180 per side.

i was very jealous. he has a 4bt converted j20 in his shop that was a finished frame off restore. it was good motivation knowing what it could look like. i would have died to get a ride in it

Back