• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project FSJ diesel

altrocker1

NAXJA Forum User
Well...since Tyler suggested it, imma gonna do it. That way I don't have to cloud up the "IMPORTANT" thread with un important business :nono:

SO...here is the back story. I have daily driven an xj for the last 10 years and my current rig for 8. Recently, I've become very aware that a lifted xj isn't the most stable/efficient towing vehicle out there. I tow a boat a lot in fall and summer for fishing and duck hunting, and an enclosed 12 ft aluminum enclosed trailer in the winter and spring for goose hunting. On rare occasions I will tow a vehicle and I would love to start doing wheeling trips where I don't have to worry about having to drive my xj home at the end of the trip, so I decided that i need a truck of some sort. So my options with my budget were 1.) buy a used pickup gasser or 2.) build a truck to my liking. Personally, I LOVE j trucks so I had been looking for an okay one for a while.

Sometime this winter Collin (bigslvrxj) rescued a J10 from the scrapper...and I tried to get him to give it to me, but he didn't go for it :) However I knew he really wanted a waggy or a full size cherokee...and it just so happened that I knew where I could get one fairly cheap. so here is the J10 when Collin picked it up...

402266_2746187771953_1175280454_32621492_2123502404_n.jpg

IMG_20120103_163958.jpg

IMG_20120103_164042.jpg

the truck is a 1983 j10 LONG box (which i found out is rare) with a 258 6cyl, tf999 tranny and an NP208 t case. the truck has about 149k on the clock and the pictures make it look a little better than it is. box has a good amount of cancer, but its definitely salvageable. the floorpans are bad, BUT the truck came with a replacement passenger side and i just picked up a cheap one from a guy on IFSJA. There is also damage on the front drivers fender and front clip that needs to be repaired. The frame is rusty, but super solid. Just as you would expect for any 30 year old rust belt truck...

I knew the gasser wouldn't be enough, so I quickly decided to turn this truck into a full restore/diesel conversion. Its going to be a slow build, but I am beyond pumped about it. I'll explain some things as I go along and why I chose to do them the way I did...

Here is the "unofficial" build plan...subject to changes at the drop of a hat.

BODY:
I made buddies with a guy who works at a body shop repairing trucks and buses and he was actually excited about helping out on the project...I offered to trade him some xj wrench time for some body work, so it will hopefully all balance out in the end. here is the short list of body work:

-repair box with new bed side panels
-fix/fill small dents on top and sides of the box
-repair cab floors
-replace hood, front fender and clip
-add either a 60's or 70's wagoneer or cherokee grille (front grille is toast)
-fill/fix dents on cab and front
-sand and repaint all body parts (color will be the dark xj 97+ purple color and black)
-bedline box interior, cab under body, inner fenders, and bottom of the box
-new door seals/window seals

FRAME
should be simple enough...
-strip and sandblast (im buying a sandblaster next week :)
-reinforce any thin spots with new steel
-i may do some frame strengthening in spots to make it better suited for towing
-re-coat frame with chassis saver or similar product...possibly paint on top as well

AXLES:
the current axles are strong enough to take the additional torque of the small diesel motor. currently the truck has an amc 20 rear and d44 front with lockouts. fsj amc 20's are A LOT stronger than CJ amc 20's so i've been told it will be fine still will have to:

-regear axles to 3.73 (though j20 axles were 3.73 factory so part of me wants to upgrade. there is currently a set at a local pick n pull)
-re seal, clean and paint axles
-eventually install auto locker in front and rear for pulling a trailer in and out of snow covered/chisel plowed corn fields

TIRES/WHEELS:
-I bought a set of outlaw 2's for it, but i've already changed my mind...will probably do 15x8 black steels of some sort and 33" at's of some variety

DRIVETRAIN:
I knew i wanted to go diesel...but after searching a while for a cummins motor, i decided to do the Isuzu instead. Both motors are 3.9L, and have similar output ratings...the cummins has more aftermarket support and can be turned up a lot farther with some of the "p-pump" inline pumps, but the isuzu will be PLENTY of motor for me and ultimately should make about 225 hp and well over 400 ft/lb torque with an upgraded turbo and a small pump tweak. i just so happened to find a complete drivetrain that was already previously installed in a 1970's cherokee which has the exact same frame as a j truck...so it will be mostly a bolt in operation....here is what i have coming to me:

-isuzu 4bd1t motor, chevy nv3500 5 speed tranny, np241 transfer case along with this list of goodies

1989 Isuzu 4BD1T in running condition.
Holset HE341 turbo
Isuzu accessories (alt & ac compressor)
409 stainless steel downpipe, partially fabricated.
Home made Isuzu to GM adapter
New GM flywheel
New GM clutch (2001 4.8L)
NV3500 used w/ Hurst Shifter
Clutch master & slave cylinders, used (slave: '89 Chevy truck, master: '90 Corvette)
Modified Jeep clutch pedal to match
Isuzu Starter
NP241C, driver's drop
PS/Brake booster hard lines
PS reservoir (BMW)

here are some pics of the motor and drivetrain:

custom BOLT IN motor mounts for fsj:

IMG_0747.jpg

installed motor in his cherokee

image3.jpg

with turbo installed

image1.jpg

so that is the current plan...so far for the drivetrain, i will be paying $2500 (most used 4bds sell for around 2k with no accessories, or tranny)...for that money with the fab done, i will spend most of my cash on new accessories for the motor and a some other tubing and goodies...this also comes with a custom bolt on crossmember for an fsj frame :) im excited to get started, and im going to post pics as i go...more are shown below of what i've done so far.

so project 1 was to get the stock drivetrain running well so i could sell it. when i got it, you could barely start it and it would not stay running. it was undriveable because as soon as you tried to put it in gear it would stall. so, i started by deleting a bunch of the unnecessary emissions gear. since im not keeping this motor, and since the po had hacked most of it out, it was removing a whole rats nest of vacuum lines.

here is the stock carb and the unbelievable rats nest of vac lines that would soon be in the trash.

0209121234.jpg

it even had cobwebs on it from sitting

0209121307.jpg

anyone who has owned one of these motors knows that carters that come on them are finicky beasts...not to mention this one was dirty as heck and gummed up on the inside. so i picked up this from the jy:

0210121243-1.jpg

Motorcraft 2150...dirty as well so it went into the solvent tank and got a rebuild. for my first carb rebuild, it was pretty successful. after a vac leak repair and a little grinding on the carb adapter...i fabbed up new throttle and return spring linkage. and slapped it on...also put a new valve cover gasket on. valves look good for a 30 yr old motor! you can see the finished carb in the pic...notice no more rats nest :) also changed the oil, gave her a tune up and sure enough she purred like a kitten after a few mild carb adjusmtents

0327121920.jpg

so i checked the brakes out checked all the other fluids. tranny fluid and antifreeze looked brand new. brakes worked well...major power steering leak :( but still safe to drive out on the back roads...so i registered her up and went for the maiden voyage...

0315121338.jpg

she was running and starting well, but something wasn't quite right...put a timing light on it and it was set to 45 degrees :doh: im amazed it ran...reset the timing to 8 degrees and it ran a ton better...since then ive put about 300 miles on it...all at about 16 mpg. not too shabby, but the 2.72 gears and the 258 arent exactly a powerhouse. i also found this

0222121531.jpg

plus a different hood. i tried to pull the fender and clip from that brown truck, but didn't have the right tools and the yard was closing. hopefully its still there when i go back!

heres my super sweet drivers shot after about 2 weeks of running around i finally brought her home for the wife to see :)

0315121238.jpg

needless to say she was less than thrilled...but she trusts me, so she said she would wait for the finished product to be judgmental. silly wife...jeeps are never finished :)

so now i am pulling the tranny when i get home since i have a buyer...basically i decided to drive it and fix what i could on the motor/drivetrain until someone bought parts of it. that time has come...so thats why i put the money down for the diesel drivetrain that i found. the next few months shall be filled with bondo, sheet metal, sand blasting and paint overspray...i cant wait!

i havent seen that one...this one is sort of my inspiration, although with the isuzu motor instead of the cummins

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?29-j10-project

im using a different grille, and paint color. but it do plan on doing some custom bumpers front and back. this year im going to do a front receiver bumper on the xj and get a winch mounted on a receiver plate. so i plan on wiring up the j10 as well for the winch. i've been dangerously close to being buried in muddy cornfields with the xj...im going to guess traction won't be as easy with the j10, especially if its strapped to a 6x12 trailer full of goose decoys :)

ive seen a couple pictures of a FSJ fitted with a 6bt, there is enough room in there for it to look like it is home. i think you had posted about finding this motor at a good deal, is that why your using the 4bdwhatever instead of a 6bt?

ive also read claim that these trucks dont have that stout of a frame, any concern with the extra torque from the diesel? as long as its in good shape and you dont treat it like a one ton itll probably be just fine though.

PS - ever get those bushings installed?

ha...no the bushings are still sitting in the garage with about 50 other things that need to go in. i pulled my arms to install my drop brackets and the bushings are still in perfect condition so i figure i have them when i need to...

the reasons i chose a 4cyl diesel over a 6bt are pretty numerous. first of all, the 4cyls get better mileage and are capable of more torque and hp than i'll ever need. while the 6bt is a pretty good fit, its not that simple. you do have to reinforce the frame A LOT when you put that motor in there because of the weight and torque. im going to do just a little up front, but my numbers arent going to be astronomically higher than a 401 gasser so the frame will hold up just fine. basically because of the amount of fab you have to do for the 6bt just seemed like a pain to me. the original plan was to buy a set of motor mounts that are bolt in for the isuzu motor, strap a dodge manual in it and use my current transfer case with the set up. it turns out that the guy who makes the motor mounts actually was the one with the complete drivetrain for sale. basically im getting a motor, tranny, tcase and cross member that all bolt in for $2500...that was the no brainer. hopefully when its done this truck will make a trek out to winterfest. its certainly not a tow rig, but i don't need it to be :)

plans they are a changin...

found a 14bolt and a 44 matched axles with the right gears for $100 on clist...might have to do a different tcase, and ill have to weld perches..though there is actually a TINY chance that at least the 14 bolt will be bolt in...whatever happens, since i will probably be putting in new perches, it will save me from going spring over later.

i know the 14 bolts are bigguns, but i won't be wheeling this truck so its no biggie

Gladiator grille and lights.

if they didn't go for $300-600 id be all in man...it really boils down to cheap and solid. i think i would love to have what they call a boobie grille...if for no other reason than getting to tell everyone that my truck had boobies. this is the grille im talking about...notice the fog lights have little nipple like things on them...thus the "boobie" name

DSCN1752Medium.jpg

PROGRESS TODAY:

started with this:

IMG_20120103_163958-1.jpg

after a lot of swearing, a grinder, a hammer one smashed finger, a whole lotta broken bolts and 3 hours of sweat...i only got to here...

0424121558.jpg

but the bumper was off, which on these trucks is in the way of EVERYTHING...who knew a 30 year old bumper would be so hard to get off :dunno:

finished the day here:

0424121646.jpg

i swear there are 3.7 million bolts holding the body pieces together on these suckers. motor should come out tomorrow with the tranny...both of which were spoken for weeks ago. silly cj owners...i pulled the carb and some more accessories after i took this pick...then i went to pick up the new axles for the truck. the d44 will be BOLT IN...but now i will be spring over axle which is going to leave me having to do some sort of high steer conversion. the stupid 44 only has one flat top knuckle on it...which actually has a high steer arm bolted to it, but its on the wrong side:looney: oh well...the axles cost me all of $100 and the 14 bolt is in excellent shape...holy schmidt that sucker is heavy though. the guy i bought it from had a hunting accident this winter and shot himself in the abdomen :eek: so he couldn't really help me lift it much. i think i pulled a muscle in my arm trying to load it...but they are in the shop now while i decide what to do with them. im also kind of thinking im going to keep my 44 and amc 20 around from this truck. they are 65" wide and with a few minor upgrades can hold some pretty beefy tires on an xj.

thats all for now folks...

I think you can do the grille and lights for cheaper than that. I'll have to do some searching.

if anyone can find me a set for cheap i will gladly take them off your hands...its going to be a while before i'll be slapping a grille back on this girl so you've got some time...

been reading a lot today about 14 bolt axles...i can either move the perches WAAAY out (leaf spring centers on this truck are stupid far apart) or i can move the springs inboard and put them on the bottom of the frame rails after putting some new spring mounts on the frame. if i do that, it will net me about the same amount of lift as going spring over in the front...i will probably pirate some extra leaves from the jy to build up the packs a little to support the weight of the 3.9 diesel...i've also thought about just buying the j20 leafs at the yard (they only charge $25 a pack) and they are already beefier than the j10 springs. im going to pull my knuckles off completely on the 44 and see what they look like...I would LOVE to buy dans knuckles, but it would have to be after the motor is fully paid for (june ish). back at it gettin dirty tomorrow

Back