• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need alternator,01 xj, meen green?

I don't recall for sure. The original pulley was a different size than what came on the new unit and the new one had 1 more groove, IIRC.

I can go look, but I think I left the pulley on the new unit that came on it and just run it with 1 empty groove. No problem...

I wonder if the pulley on the new unit matched the pulley size of the OEM. Did you need a longer belt or did your stock belt work fine?

I wonder if the pulley on the new unit matched the pulley size of the OEM. Did you need a longer belt or did your stock belt work fine?

I think the 2 pulleys were different diameters and had a different number of grooves. I'm thinking the stock belt was OK though.

Have you not seen the write-up(s) on this?

I think the 2 pulleys were different diameters and had a different number of grooves. I'm thinking the stock belt was OK though.

Have you not seen the write-up(s) on this?

Yes, and what I have read, it's important to keep the stock sized pulley. Here's a copy and paste from an earlier post, "Running the alternator with a smaller than stock pulley will spin the alternator faster allowing the alternator to load earlier, but if the pulley is larger than the stock pulley then the alternator will spin slower delaying the load and requiring the engine RPMs to be higher to charge the system."

I think the 2 pulleys were different diameters and had a different number of grooves.

Here's another cut and paste, "They pulley on the '98 ZJ alternator was larger and the pulley on the '98 XJ pulley was smaller... and on my Jeep the alternator would turn slower. The pulley size is figured into the other pulley sizes for the waterpump, power steering etc... If the situations were different; where the XJ pulley were larger and the ZJ pulley were smaller, then I could use the ZJ pulley to have the alternator load at an earlier RPM."

The 120A (optional HD, probably PD) for the 6-242 1997-1998 is the #13746 (this is the "Cham/Lestr" number, which should either be directly useful or easy to cross-reference.) This should still use the two M4-0.7 studs for the field coil connections.

For 136A units:
#13790 - ND, 1999-2000 WJ V8-287 (standard)
#13742 - ND, 1998 ZJ LA360 (standard)
#13742 - ND, 1997-1998 ZJ LA318 (optional)
#13873 - ND, 2001-2004 WJ V8-287 (standard)

I'd have to pillage around and codify the fuller list of donors (up through 160A from OEM/COTS,) but I'm not highly inclined to do that right now. I do eventually plan to do just that and encode it into HTML for my Tech section, tho.

Yes, and what I have read, it's important to keep the stock sized pulley. Here's a copy and paste from an earlier post, "Running the alternator with a smaller than stock pulley will spin the alternator faster allowing the alternator to load earlier, but if the pulley is larger than the stock pulley then the alternator will spin slower delaying the load and requiring the engine RPMs to be higher to charge the system."

Hmmm... Now I'll have to take a look and see what I did. I turned the old alternator in for the core charge though, so I can't compare the pulleys. I just can't remember right now which way I went on that.

I drive mine like I stole it though, so maybe that's a good thing if my pulley is larger. I have no electrical or charging issues...

Maybe someone will post the 2 pulley diameters... or maybe they did and now I need to go back and look!

Update:
My swap was working fine until about 5 months ago. The Autozone alternator failed.

It was the Duralast "Gold" unit with the lifetime warranty, so they replaced it.

Now, it is out again. That's #3 in a couple of years or so...:eek:.

I called Autozone and they are refunding my money. A buddy of mine that owns a shop said he's had plenty of trouble with AZ's alternators too. I won't be buying another one...

Update:
My swap was working fine until about 5 months ago. The Autozone alternator failed.

It was the Duralast "Gold" unit with the lifetime warranty, so they replaced it.

Now, it is out again. That's #3 in a couple of years or so...:eek:.

I called Autozone and they are refunding my money. A buddy of mine that owns a shop said he's had plenty of trouble with AZ's alternators too. I won't be buying another one...

That is unfortunate for you. Not just the replacement of the alternator multiple times but the inconvenience that it have caused you.

I never buy electrical or electronics items from Auto Zone. I had a friend that worked at Auto Zone in CT. He said when a customer returned a bad item they put it back on the shelf and give it to the next customer that walk in hoping that one day that item is gone for good.

Sure, I love the lifetime warranty and all but what good is it to you when you are in the middle of nowhere and cannot get back to civilization?

On the bright side, I got 2 Optima batteries warranty replaced with them in a 2 year period. :yelclap: That is what happens when one leave the XJ un-attended for long periods in the driveway.

I did this mod this past weekend using a 136Amp 98 Grand Cherokee 5.2L Alternator in my 92 XJ 4.0L.

For those who wanted to know the amount to trim off the stock bracket here are some pictures for you.

Bolt holes dont quite line up.
DSC03849.JPG

This is why they dont line up. Its a snug fit.
DSC03851.JPG

Here is what I marked with the Alternator on the Jeep. Hint...Take the bracketry off for a much easier time.
DSC03852.JPG

Grind...test fit...grind....test fit...grind sum more...it FITS..
DSC03853.JPG

Pic from the bottom
DSC03854.JPG

Material removed from the other bracket on the front of the engine.
DSC03856.JPG

DONE and DONE
DSC03855.JPG

It was as straight forward as everyone said.

BTW I upgraded the POS wire to a 2Gauge battery cable. Now with everything on(dual electric fans, radio blazing and my 100/130 H4 headlight swap) the volt meter stays at 14v solid.

:UPDATE: 4-5 Years later still going strong. I am just updating pics because I have a PM to do so.

hello, i"m looking to do this upgrade myself. I was looking on Rock Auto and there is at least a half dozen different alternators to choose from. any idea which one I should get?

Back