• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My getting ready for JV thread...

GSequoia said:
Well there has been a setback...

151663732101_3300.jpg

You're supposed to wear that thong around your waist.....

GSequoia said:
Well there has been a setback...

Not sure how axle swaps and a transfer case swap will work after I sliced my finger today.

151663732101_3300.jpg

Caution, bloody picture here.

Five stitches in an area that will get knocked around a lot wrenching...damnit...

With all that professional help and all you should be fine in about.. Oh... 20min?

I mean hell even with some duct tape and Mcdonalds napkins that should only take maybe 1 day to heal... :greensmok

IntrepidXJ said:
how the hell did you manage that?

I was singlehandedly saving the world from a plot to overthrow all the world's governments by the flying monkey ninjas of Orange County, I kicked all their asses and took them to a secret CIA prison in eastern Europe, saved the super secret world seader's life and rescued the beautiful woman in distress when I sliced my finger open while taking apart a laptop battery casing so I could repair it.

GSequoia said:
Why would I want to work?

It was a great ploy to get out of work early!

Out of work early? When you called on your way to the hospital, I was sitting at home drinking beer and watching invader zim?

cal said:
Out of work early? When you called on your way to the hospital, I was sitting at home drinking beer and watching invader zim?
shouldn't you have been out getting a jeep done?

Front end's still at the gear guys. There was drama with the ARB, it's getting corrected tomorrow.

Finger is doing real well so I got some work in today.

I started out by dropping the belly pan and removing the transfer case so I can do a partial rebuild (new shift pads) and install the Tom Woods SYE. I'll actually be doing the work to another transfer case I have in the garage but I will have to swap input gears over.
IMG_0001.jpg

I hate those damn bolts they use for hte front driveshaft, this is the second time that I've had a head round off on me. I'll have to grind it off carefully (don't want to damage the yoke or shaft) and replace it.
IMG_0002.jpg

Since it was so dirty I decided it was the perfect thing to test the recently repaired pressure washer.
IMG_0009.jpg

Next I did a bit of spontanious fender trimming (didn't feel like wrestling with axles quite yet), got the front right trimmed, maybe I"ll do the front left eventually?
IMG_0003.jpg

(I forgot to take a picture when I was done.)

Speaking of axles...

IMG_0007.jpg

Yanked the front so I could put my "new" axle in and complete the TNT Y-Link installed.

Spent awhile taking the OEM lower control arm mounts off.
IMG_0011.jpg

Then put it in!
IMG_0013.jpg

I didn't adjust the control arms and did not hook up the frame end of the track bar. Once I get the rear end up to snuff I'll start taking my wheelbase measurements (right now it's probably an inch or two forward and I'm liking it! Gotta check for steering, etc though) and set the castor.

So now it sits a bit nose high...
IMG_0015.jpg

We'll see what terror comes this week...

WOW :shocked:

I can transfer now!

PART I

Today I got in on the transfer case partial rebuild and SYE...

Started out die grinding that pesky rounded off bolt so I could remove the front driveshaft.
IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Now the inital plan was to take the input gear out of my old case and put it in a case I have in the garage that has a lot less miles (it's a 23 spline case and I have 21 spline junk). So I split my case and pulled the input.
IMG_0006.jpg

Started in on tearing down the "new" case...

Hmmm, that output shaft bearing looks like it got hot...
IMG_0007.jpg

Yup, this case was cooked.
IMG_0008.jpg

Look familiar Ron?
IMG_0009.jpg

Hey, cool! (Once I saw the cooked inside I was expecting this)
IMG_0011.jpg

ABORT!
IMG_0013.jpg

Yup, that's a nice healty crack in the front case half. So much for that idea... Anyboyd want a cheap, slightly used, 231?

PART II

So back to my original case, gonna have to run it (using it's internals as well, while I know I've cooked it some in the past it wasn't near as bad as the "new" one)
IMG_0015.jpg

Put the input gear back in place.
IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

Found all this crap underneth my oil pickup screen. Yummy!
IMG_0019.jpg

Cleaned both halves off so I could have a nice mating surface (and no crap inside)
IMG_0020.jpg

Put new pads on both shift forks (this is the partial rebuild part ;) )
IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

Put the new output shaft in (that's the SYE part ;) ) and started to button it up.
IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

PART III

Got that pesky oil pickup tube in it's place in the oil pump and centered the pump so I can put the output shaft housing back on.
IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

Dropped the spacer on the shaft and put the Tom Woods tail cone on and then the flange.
IMG_0033.jpg

Done!
IMG_0034.jpg

Now I just have to put it in.

Sequoia

GSequoia said:
Now I just have to put it in.

Sequoia

And get a drive line ;)

Back