• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

M416 Trailer

Well I think it is time to start moving onto phase two of the project. I really like this this idea, and I want to make it convertable so I can remove the top so I can just use it as a regular ole' trailer

trailer.JPG

trailer2.JPG

trailer3.JPG

trailer4.JPG

trailer5.JPG

trailer6.JPG

IH8RDS said:
Well I think it is time to start moving onto phase two of the project. I really like this this idea, and I want to make it convertable so I can remove the top so I can just use it as a regular ole' trailer

trailer.JPG

trailer2.JPG

trailer3.JPG

trailer4.JPG

trailer5.JPG

trailer6.JPG

That there is a civilian Bantam T3C, like the one I just got, but with a lot less rust.

IH8RDS said:
Depending on how much of a purist you are...

Thats why i recently sold my M100, it was so complete and original not to mention good shape, i couldnt bring myself to modify it. Sold it to a collector.

Theres a guy across the river who imported the CDN M101's, i plan to get one of those eventually. I wouldnt be timid to mod one of those.

I'm digging that Flatty and trailer. You plan to mod your trailer similar?

Yes. I'll try to get it done this summer. Doesnt look to hard.... 1X1 steel boxed frame with stainless steel riveted to the top. Then it comes down to the custom wood cabinets. I might do mine in aluminum to save weight. It all depends on what I can get my hands on.

I really like how clean the manufacture is. I hope mine turns out half as good

Well mine is now complete. I just picked up a proper Lunette, landing leg with casting, and used (slightly rough) canvas tarp for it.

It's ready for Big Bear!

So much more civilized than an overloaded XJ...
20070429-mostlyloaded.JPG

Well I got the Lunette, Landing leg & casting, and a teriffic deal on a used (and a bit rough) canvas tarp. All I need now is a spare wheel.

Here it is loaded up and ready to pull up the mountain on Thursday.
IMG_0012.JPG

The cool thing is with the extra towed length the full lunette and my receiver pintle hook has I just might be able to open my tire carrier with it loaded up, we'll see tomorrow when I test the lighting. (I was too lazy to move the Chief and back the red Jeep into place tonight since I"m operating on about 3.5 hours of sleep today ;))

IH8RDS said:
I cant open my tire swing unless I jackknife the trailer. With a pintle hook though, it is easy enough to disconnect.

Your trailer looks like it is in better condition then mine was when I bought it. How is the tub?

Complete. Some dents from hard useage and a bit of surface rust on the bottom, nothing that'll poke through through.

I'll get some pictures of it in use after this weekend :D

My M416 in action....

...as opposed to it's usual state of inaction. :D

Also, before anyone asks all that stuff in the back is trash that we picked up for trail maintenance. Some people seem to think that hte national forests are the place to get rid of their used tires, dead plywood, and other stuff...

DSC05461.jpg

DSC05463.jpg

DSC05470.jpg

And just for fun a shot of it as I was getting out of Big Bear.

IMG_0090.jpg

So, the verdict?

Pros:
More cargo capacity!
Narrower than an XJ and short so it tracks behind PERFECTLY even in the sharpest turns.
Excellent off road articulation with rotating lunette.
Looks f'n cool behind an XJ ;)

Cons:
Pintle makes a lot of noise (oh well ;))
Since the trailer is so short and narrow you can't see it from the mirrors and with a big spare tire on the rear bumper of a Cherokee you can't see it by looking back. You just kinda have to take it on faith that you still have a trailer ;)
Because you can't see it it's damn hard to back. Especially at night!

Sequoia

Last edited:
GSequoia said:
My M416 in action....

...as opposed to it's usual state of inaction. :D

Also, before anyone asks all that stuff in the back is trash that we picked up for trail maintenance. Some people seem to think that hte national forests are the place to get rid of their used tires, dead plywood, and other stuff...

DSC05461.jpg

DSC05463.jpg

DSC05470.jpg

And just for fun a shot of it as I was getting out of Big Bear.

IMG_0090.jpg

So, the verdict?

Pros:
More cargo capacity!
Narrower than an XJ and short so it tracks behind PERFECTLY even in the sharpest turns.
Excellent off road articulation with rotating lunette.
Looks f'n cool behind an XJ ;)

Cons:
Pintle makes a lot of noise (oh well ;))
Since the trailer is so short and narrow you can't see it from the mirrors and with a big spare tire on the rear bumper of a Cherokee you can't see it by looking back. You just kinda have to take it on faith that you still have a trailer ;)
Because you can't see it it's damn hard to back. Especially at night!

Sequoia

Get a short ATV flag/whip and mount it on the back of the trailer.

I'm assuming your on the Yahoo list Geoff? Ask those guys about the pintle, i remember there being one readily available that was larger (receiver end) reducing the noise you experienced.

John B said:
I'm assuming your on the Yahoo list Geoff? Ask those guys about the pintle, i remember there being one readily available that was larger (receiver end) reducing the noise you experienced.

The noise isn't too bad, just when stopping or starting on the fast side... The 416's Lunette fits into the pintle hook I have... ANd I have too much money in the pintle hook (receiver style and all one piece - meaning no rock magnets here!) to change it ;)

The pros far outweigh the cons ;)

IH8RDS said:
I cant open my tire swing unless I jackknife the trailer.

Same here (tested it on Thursday) so I just jackknifed the trailer to the left to test (Did it to the left so I could watch it out my window instead of mirror).

Knowing I may want to jackknife I make my IV cable extra long and zip tie it ot hte pintle retainer:

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IH8RDS said:
I finnially got around to it and built the 2" box tube axle. I built it to 77 WMS to WMS. Turned out pretty good and now I have the 5 on 4.5 hub pattern to match the Jeep. I also did a SOA on it and now it is level again!! I just have to swap the 31" tires onto the rims and it is done. I'll get some pictures up in the AM.

I'm very interested in what you did. I need to completely redo/rebuild/replace the axle under my trailer, I want the 5 on 4.5 pattern and good e-brakes and I've decided that it might just be easier to start from scratch with a new axle.

My trailer is a bit larger than the M416 and can be seen in the Adventure forum.

I bought everything to do this a Northern Tools except for the 2 x2 box tube. I had some left over from another project I was doing.

I used a Northern Tool/ Reliable square tube spindle. I think it was 1700 to 1800 lb rating each. I welded it to the 2" box tube and also bought the hubs a Northern too. I attached it with 6" square u bolts. I just remembered I still have to fab up a shock mount. Should be pretty easy though.

attachment.php

It went from this to this. I just need to mount the 31" tires on these rims and the shock mounts.

attachment.php

attachment.php

What wall thickness is the 2" square tubing? Does the spindle slide into the tubing?

I've thought of doing this for my civy Bantam, so I have a bolt pattern that matches the XJ.

Back