• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

M416 Trailer

IH8RDS said:
Ouch!! Was that Smith and Edwards? You can get them on E-Bay for allot cheaper.

As a matter of fact it was. I'm not as gung-ho about building one anymore since I don't do much exploring or wheeling but if I wanted to, I'd probably go your route.

I plan to do more modifications this spring so I wanted to give you all that have not seen it a little history.

The day I brought it home. Saturday 23 Apr 2005

HPIM0461.jpg

I quickly got to work the first day

HPIM0468.jpg

HPIM0470.jpg

HPIM0471.jpg

HPIM0476.Jpg

After I dismantled it, I first started on the frame

HPIM0480.jpg

HPIM0481.jpg

HPIM0485.jpg

HPIM0486.jpg

With the frame out of the way, it was time to start on the tub.

HPIM0503.jpg

HPIM0504.jpg

HPIM0528.jpg

HPIM0529.jpg

floor.jpg

The trailer finally started to take shape

HPIM0537.jpg

HPIM0539.jpg

HPIM0540.jpg

HPIM0541.jpg

The front of the tub had to most rust and had to be cut out

frontcut.jpg

insidecut.jpg

frontpatch.jpg

welds.jpg

Then I put my welding skills to the test an learned allot along the way

primer.jpg

primer2.jpg

primer3.jpg

Arter the welding was done I started on the paint and reinforcing the frame

finalcoat.jpg

finalcoat2.jpg

reinfocement.jpg

firstcoat3.jpg

I reassembled it and had to reinstall all the reflectors and fenders

almostdone.jpg

almostdone2.jpg

almostdone3.jpg

almostdone4.jpg

The only thing left to do was the bed liner

done.jpg

underside.jpg

I have done a few things to Jeep to help level it out. I installed new 4" leaf packs. It leveled out the trailer quite a bit. I also plan to put new hubs on the trailer this spring so it will have 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. This will allow the use of the rims I already have on the jeep and I will only need to carry only one spare. This will also reduce the weight of the trailer by at least 100lbs.

This trailer was a blast to build. I would highly recommend a build for any one that just wants an easy project. The result is rewarding. I have used this trailer to haul wood and plan to use it on the trails this summer. I have taken it to the beach and minor off road, but nothing to challenging yet. Hopefully that will change this summer.

Nice project, way to go. :) Helluva trailer too. Pintle is the way to go.
Glenn

The M416 is a Vietnam era trailer - most of them will be rust buckets.

As an alternative, look for a M101 - the Canadian version which where made into the '90s. They are more rugged too:

Here's one place that sells them:
http://www.futurelogistics.ca/AftermarketSales.html

1-4TonTrailerRow+.jpg

1-4TonTrailerRear+.jpg

1-4TonTrailerFront+.jpg

JeepwithTrailer_Slope+.jpg

XJEEPER said:
Those are Hummer wide......better have trailer brakes on them too. Beefy.

They are???

Oh, the ones in the link above. Yeah, they are big ones... Duece and a Half towed usually. ;)

RTicUL8 said:
The M416 is a Vietnam era trailer - most of them will be rust buckets.

As an alternative, look for a M101 - the Canadian version ....

No thanks on the canadian thing. Cute and all, but I prefer the real ones. ;)

IH8RDS said:
Mines a 1963. I like te M100's as well because of the round fenders. The only thing I dont like about the M100 is the frame and tub are one piece. Are you customising it or going for the military look?

Bought it with my 52 M38...came from the same collection and it was/is 100% original.

Both, i will be customizing it such as Henry's (white one with the Mare tent-top) but painting OD to match the XJ.

I wasnt aware the tub and frame were one...are they welded together?

Here's the differences:

How the M416 is different from the M100;

:arrowr: The traditional rounded fenders were replaced by straight 3 sided fenders.
New longer Safety chains and a larger hook were updated from the earlier designed types.
:arrowr: The cast Receiver design was changed from a single socket to one having 2 sockets. This allowed 2 different heights for the lunette eye. The lower socket was for the smaller 1/4 ton jeep series vehicles, and the upper socket was for larger 3/4 ton towing vehicles. The sockets both had grease fittings on them to lubricated the lunette eye and allow it to rotate under extreme conditions.
:arrowr: The wheel track was widened to match and follow the wider M-151 Military Jeeps.
The cargo body dimensions were enlarged.
:arrowr: The previous 'Welded Cargo Body' construction was replaced by a 'bolt-on' body design. This allowed new bodies to be bolted to undercarriages when replacement was needed.

I just picked one up. Im getting it ready for a long trip in July that will take me over 150 miles OFF-ROAD round trip. I will post pics of my trailer when I get it geared up.

Back