• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Luxury camping

Leep said:
Again, nice digs John. We should all get together and go camping when the weather clears up a bit.

Nothing like being out in the middle of no where sucking on some suds knowing that you have a comfy place to lay your head.
I'm there guys.

We need to do a trial run soon anyway. Hopefully before Calico. I was thinking a weekend trip to Mitchell caverns?

JohnX said:
Thanks for your careful consideration of YOUR wellbeing, but I have done some checking....the COG is 3 inches in front of my wheels. I think you really should research what you're talking about before you tell me about MY rig. You really think i would tow something unsafe to a naxja event (or any other place)? This camper is well within the capacity of my truck and I will be under the rated capacity for total (including trailer) vehicle weight. I tried to be polite earlier....but you're being a prick about a camper and a truck based solely on a picture. You don't know the weight, the cog, the upgrades on the truck or anything else about it.

Thanks again ;)

Actually a few of us were trying to be kind earlier in letting you know that you didn't due your due diligence in searching for a truck camper. You made a huge mistake. You are putting peoples lives at risk and I am the prick?

Your picture speaks volumes about the mistake you made. Others may not see it, but those of us with experience with truck campers pulling Jeeps on trailers can see it right away. You have TOO MUCH WEIGHT behind the rear axle. This overloads your rear tires while underloading your front end which affects braking and steering.

Without getting into the weight police debate about whether exceeding GVWR or GCVWR or RAWR is or is not a citeable offense, I will tell you that the weight rating that EVERYONE universally agrees upon is the maximum weight load for tires. Tires are your weak link in your ability to safely carry heavy loads in the bed of your truck. I don't care what other upgrades you have done that you think may have increased your trucks capabilities.

From your picture and from your description of all the amenities you have inside your new TC I know that your TC will weigh in at least 3000 lbs once it is loaded. From your picture I can tell that your single rear wheels and tires are at best "E" rated tires. Once you hitch up your Jeep trailer and add in 800 lbs of tongue weight some 36" behind your hitch you will be at least 1000 lbs overweight on your rear tires no matter what other upgrades you think may have increased your trucks capabilities. You will also be severely underloaded on your front axle. Even the best WD hitch made connot correct this situation.

JohnX said:
the COG is 3 inches in front of my wheels

Knowing quite a bit about TCs and their design I know that LB TCs are designed to have their COG a few inches in front of the centerline of the rear axle. That part you got right. The part you are having trouble understanding is that you put this LB TC on a shortbed truck. This mistake moves the COG behind the rear axle. Why are you having so much trouble understanding simple physics? Maybe the salesman told you that the COG was in front of the rear axle and you believed him?

Whatever your reasons for choosing the combination you did...I stand by the fact that I do not want to be anywhere near you on the highway. I, as well as many others on this site, have done our due diligence in selecting safe combinations to get our families back and forth to the NAXJA events.

Last edited:
FishPOET said:
Actually a few of us were trying to be kind earlier in letting you know that you didn't due your due diligence in searching for a truck camper. You made a huge mistake. You are putting peoples lives at risk and I am the prick?

Your picture speaks volumes about the mistake you made. Others may not see it, but those of us with experience with truck campers pulling Jeeps on trailers can see it right away. You have TOO MUCH WEIGHT behind the rear axle. This overloads your rear tires while underloading your front end which affects braking and steering.

Without getting into the weight police debate about whether exceeding GVWR or GCVWR or RAWR is or is not a citeable offense, I will tell you that the weight rating that EVERYONE universally agrees upon is the maximum weight load for tires. Tires are your weak link in your ability to safely carry heavy loads in the bed of your truck. I don't care what other upgrades you have done that you think may have increased your trucks capabilities.

From your picture and from your description of all the amenities you have inside your new TC I know that your TC will weigh in at least 3000 lbs once it is loaded. From your picture I can tell that your single rear wheels and tires are at best "E" rated tires. Once you hitch up your Jeep trailer and add in 800 lbs of tongue weight some 36" behind your hitch you will be at least 1000 lbs overweight on your rear tires no matter what other upgrades you think may have increased your trucks capabilities. You will also be severely underloaded on your front axle. Even the best WD hitch made connot correct this situation.

Knowing quite a bit about TCs and their design I know that LB TCs are designed to have their COG a few inches in front of the centerline of the rear axle. That part you got right. The part you are having trouble understanding is that you put this LB TC on a shortbed truck. This mistake moves the COG behind the rear axle. Why are you having so much trouble understanding simple physics? Maybe the salesman told you that the COG was in front of the rear axle and you believed him?

Whatever your reasons for choosing the combination you did...I stand by the fact that I do not want to be anywhere near you on the highway. I, as well as many others on this site, have done our due diligence in selecting safe combinations to get our families back and forth to the NAXJA events.

Wow....I had no idea. I guess I should have thought about it a little. I think you're still missing something here. I am the one with the camper, the weight ratings, the cog in inches (which doesn't change from a lb to a sb, on a lb the cog would be 18 inches in front of the axle, an inch is an inch), the weight of the camper (which you clearly don't know), my gear, and my tow setup. I also actually remembered to check the weight rating on my tires (which are brand new). I even used the website YOU provided to double check my numbers.

Apparently this isn't good enough for you...because you can see from a picture taken on uneven that I didn't check any of this.

If it would give you some sort or peace of mind....I will post my results after weighing the whole setup.

BTW....your first "warning" was sufficient...I was being an asshole because your second post was just too much.

JohnX said:
If it would give you some sort or peace of mind....I will post my results after weighing the whole setup.
Post up your known numbers now. Post up all the specs on the truck and tires. What type of hitch do you have? What type of extension will you be using?

JohnX said:
BTW....your first "warning" was sufficient...I was being an asshole because your second post was just too much.
You failed to mention in your first post you were planning on putting your Jeep on a trailer and towing it behind the TC. That changed your setup from stupid to dangerous.

JohnX said:
Coool! Maybe around the end of febtober?

Also we can take powerline road toward kelso junction. There are also roads that head to cima, need to get the maps out.

At the top of the pass on powerline there are a ton of mine and building foundations. It is really fun in the wet weather.

Lets chat later and maybe come up with somthing

Leep

gcurtis said:
You ought to see this thing... built like a brick... Let's say it is stout. I use it with my camper and truck. Pulls straight and solid.

How much did that puppy run?

This weekend when I pick up my TC, I will be building my own version of the Torklift tie downs front and back to support the TC.

My OEM hitch on the Duramax pulls my trailer just fine, but I was curious as to how much the torklift one ran.

Thanks

waxer said:
How much did that puppy run?

This weekend when I pick up my TC, I will be building my own version of the Torklift tie downs front and back to support the TC.

My OEM hitch on the Duramax pulls my trailer just fine, but I was curious as to how much the torklift one ran.

Thanks

IIRC, it was $235-ish.

FishPOET said:

holy crap dude I didnt like you before because of your attitude now I really don't like your self righteous ass. I trust John's judgment having known him a while and seeing his care and consideration in how he builds drives and camps.

Gerr said:
holy crap dude I didnt like you before because of your attitude now I really don't like your self righteous ass. I trust John's judgment having known him a while and seeing his care and consideration in how he builds drives and camps.

I agree he did come off a little arrogant, but he does have some merit with some of his statements regarding the truck camper.

I'd atleast take it somewhere to be looked at. Better to be safe than sorry.

I would take a guess that the excess weight in the back would lighten up the front end of the truck. Not sure on how much, I'm not a mathmatical genius, but it's easy enough to check. Load things up as you would for a run and go get the stuff weighed.

In any event. I like the TC and can't wait to use mine out there. Perhaps we will meet up for a run one day. That'd be great to relax in front of the camp fire with some cold brews... knowing we get to sleep in a comfy, heated camper. Oh the excitement!! :)

waxer said:
I'd atleast take it somewhere to be looked at. Better to be safe than sorry.

I would take a guess that the excess weight in the back would lighten up the front end of the truck. Not sure on how much, I'm not a mathmatical genius, but it's easy enough to check. Load things up as you would for a run and go get the stuff weighed.

Thats exactly what I said I will do, and I will not comment further on the matter until I have. The truck is 4x4 and diesel, so I bet the front is already a little portly....but I will post details after te weigh in :D

I never imagined a picture of a truck and camper would make for so much entertaining reading ;) Thanks for all the posts everyone.

Gerr said:

Ok, I Just did the dilligance on my RV, It is a 1994 Tioga Class C measuring 29'7" from end to end. It Unlaiden GVW is 11700 and from center of rear axle to end point of coach is 11'7" so that leaves me 18' from center of rear axle to front most point of coach. I would guess that 35% of the total coach is setting behind the rear wheels. I also pull a 21' enclosed trailer with a 2100 lb racecar and gear. I would say the entire weight of the thailer is close to 7k. So putting me at a total weight of around 19.5k for the coach and the trailer.

Ohh, my coach has loadrange E tires and the recomendation for that is "D".

Oh yes, I do have a weight distribution hitch for the trailer and supplemental braking for the trailer. Am I weight legal, prob not. Is my coach setup to to pull the weight, yes. Am I safely setup to pull the trailer, yes. Do I speed when towing, no!. Do I pay attention to others around me when towing, YES.

See, we do the research before we would adversely put anyone else much less ourselvs in danger.

I beleive that JohnX has done the same, or he prob not have done it. I have only known him a very short time but others that I have known a while and know john trust his judgement.

So, wheel on John and we'll see you at the trails...

Leep :peace:

I'll say it one more time and then I am done with this thread. I know a bit about the design and engineering of TCs. The TCs are designed not only to be used on the truck, but off the truck as well. If what John believes to be true about his TC is in fact true....that the CoG is in front of his rear wheels..then GRAVITY would dictate that when the camper was on 4 corner jacks it would lean forward and fall over due to the weight and height and distance of the front overhang. The CoG is engineered and built into all TCs to be both stable on the ground and on the truck. They SPECIFICALLY design and engineer TCs to fit shortbeds and longbeds. By putting a LB TC on a SB truck you are putting the CoG of the TC behind the rear axle, no matter what the salesman says.

What happens when he hitches up his 6000 lbs trailer (800 lbs tongue weight) some 60" behind his rear axle and then has to stop suddenly? The brakes on the trailer will magnify the 800 lbs pushing down on the fulcrum point 60" behind his rear axle and it will unload the front axle...where 75% of the trucks braking and 100% of the trucks steering occurs. Shouldn't be all that difficult to understand for most of you gearheads. Add that in to the already overloaded rear axle and underloaded front axle and you have a recipe for disaster.

And Gerr, I am proud to not have you like my self righteous ass. That puts me in good company with many others here on NAXJA.

FishPOET and Gerr

Talk your personal flaming bullshit backchannel.

Back