• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Luxury camping

97xjdawg said:
Couldnt you move that 400lbs with a load leveling hitch set up ? Nice rig buy the way
I was just thinking the same thing. We use one on a trailer at my work that hauls a bobcat and without it the rear axel was about 500# over and with it is about 100# under. Im not sure how it would help the situation for moving weight around thats actually on the truck though

97xjdawg said:
Couldnt you move that 400lbs with a load leveling hitch set up ? Nice rig buy the way

Gerr said:
I was just thinking the same thing. We use one on a trailer at my work that hauls a bobcat and without it the rear axel was about 500# over and with it is about 100# under. Im not sure how it would help the situation for moving weight around thats actually on the truck though

Yep...I considered doing that if I needed to shift some weight. But honestly....400 lbs ? I really don't give an eff :D I figure that the air bags that I added (rated for a couple thousand pounds) are good enought to cover my extra 400? So that just leaves the tires. I would really love to be under on all counts...but if my only worry is that the rear tires are a few hundred over????

Anyway, there are a few more options for the next trip.

1. Don't bring as much crap!!!!!
2. Reload some of the extra stuff into the Jeep or on the trailer.
3. Drain the water tank...fill it at the last good location before my destination.
4. Load trailer with less tongue weight and add a sway control bar to it.
5. Cry about it and quit jeeping.
6. Buy a bigger truck (yeah thats about as likely as number 5)

I had tires rated at 3000# per tire on the trip out to truckhaven. I lost 2 of them. Now I run tires rated at 3750#. they are good.

Rawbrown said:
I had tires rated at 3000# per tire on the trip out to truckhaven. I lost 2 of them. Now I run tires rated at 3750#. they are good.

Due to weight only? Old tires? worn out maybe? road debris?

Do tell.

move the jeep back about 6 inches on the trailer that should move some weight off the rear axle too. I know when I tow my YJ theres a sweet spot on the trailer where it is balanced and a inch or two in either direction lets me shift the weight around easily

JohnX said:
Due to weight only? Old tires? worn out maybe? road debris?

Do tell.
My rigs fawking heavy with the camper on it and the jeep on the trailer. I think a combo of both older tires of questionable condition. I bought them used thinking they would be ok... I was wrong. lost the front tire in borrego springs and I felt it going, then lost the rear in oceanside. The tires i have now... not a question. awsome. Hancook mud terrains. #3750 per tire. I have a Dana 70 rear and its good for 7500# as well. I am redesigning my hitch for the rear. As it was, I had a big heavy hitch extension. Even modified it to hold more stable. But it still put the tongue way out from the rear axle. load equalizing and sway control were strugling. I'm redoing it for the summer though. I found that there is enough clearance under the camper for the trailer. so I'm going to take down the side rails in the front of the trailer and basically eliminate the hitch extension. only place I will have to watch it is driveways and deep dips. jackknifing isn't the worry but smacking the blackwater tank on the trailer deck is.
Tomorrow however I am going to check out a pair of heavy duty axles. can't pass up $100 each. I'm just gonna make my own damn trailer.
Then I'll have to go get either a non commercial class A license or endorsments for my class C that let me tow over 10k

There are some regs about how long tongues and stuff can be on trailers so before you start your build look in to it, my work got nailed for a illegal trailer by dot a couple weeks ago

FishPOET said:
If you plan on pulling a 6000# trailer behind that rig to NAXJA events PLEASE be sure to post your routes and dates so that the rest of us can be sure to stay as far away from your nightmare as possible.
215701800100.gif

nice rig.
icon_thumleft.gif

i'd love one of those! (but only if i could still tow the XJ!)

Gerr said:
There are some regs about how long tongues and stuff can be on trailers so before you start your build look in to it, my work got nailed for a illegal trailer by dot a couple weeks ago
Not changing the tongue. just moving the hitch closer to the rear axle. right now, its a bit out there and I don't like it. Just sucking it under the camper.

Rawbrown said:
Not changing the tongue. just moving the hitch closer to the rear axle. right now, its a bit out there and I don't like it. Just sucking it under the camper.
Do you have any pics of the current set up ?

Rawbrown said:
when i get to work monday Ill get a pic of the hitches we are installing on the new chevy 3500's it mounts about a inch in front of the axle and has a built in extender to get to the rear of the bumper kinda like a 5th wheel or goose neck but under the bed

Back