• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Luxury camping

"And Gerr, I am proud to not have you like my self righteous ass. That puts me in good company with many others here on NAXJA"

You sure like to speak for the others here on NAXJA a lot.

Calamity said:
"And Gerr, I am proud to not have you like my self righteous ass. That puts me in good company with many others here on NAXJA"

You sure like to speak for the others here on NAXJA a lot.

I thought Karstic made it clear........please drop all the "non-thread" related BS.

My apologies....I was just trying to stick up for Dan.

P.S. Leep: (This is Mrs. JohnX) from one alcoholic with a jeeping problem to another, I am super excited about some good wheeling and camping in the new camper...andf some good drinking. We should definitely make some plans!

Calamity said:

P.S. Leep: (This is Mrs. JohnX) from one alcoholic with a jeeping problem to another, I am super excited about some good wheeling and camping in the new camper...and some good drinking. We should definitely make some plans!

Will do, hey PM LADY_LEEP, she is excited that I just her YJ done. If you are a horse lover then you two will get along good.

Leep

FishPOET said:
And Gerr, I am proud to not have you like my self righteous ass. That puts me in good company with many others here on NAXJA.
Now thats funny right there theres what 3 people on her I can say I don't like but still wheel with and am cordial to and then theres maybe 2 others who I just don't like wont deal with at all, how ever there are a few other people whom Ive had arguments and disagreements with but that doesn't mean I don't like them it's part of being friends...........your not in a boat with many others on Naxja or any other group for that matter

Calamity said:

P.S. Leep: (This is Mrs. JohnX) from one alcoholic with a jeeping problem to another, I am super excited about some good wheeling and camping in the new camper...andf some good drinking. We should definitely make some plans!

Hey whats with all the wives getting on here next thing you know we will have doilies on the picnic tables LOL Thanks for sticking up for me Im a big boy with my big boy pants on and I kinda like causing a ruckus once in a while keeps me on my toes, and makes for some fun reading once in a while. Any one that truly knows me and my wife knows I can be a asshole but I know how to take care of my friends and if your one of them you know it.

Well I ended up getting our TC home today. I checked out the price of the tork-lift mounting and said to hell with it. Made my own. I only got the fronts done now, I'll get the rears done in a week or two. Definitely before I take it out.

I went through everything and everything works (stove, oven, water pump, water heater, heater, shower, toilet, lights. The fridge took forever to get the freezer part cold running off of propane, the fridge portion didn't get that cold at all. However, it does get cold off of AC. So I might need to get the fridge serviced or replaced.

DSC06038.JPG

DSC06039.JPG

DSC06040.JPG

Does anyone know what the hell this thing is for? My only guess if for light @ night so you don't drain the batteries??
DSC06043.JPG

I can't wait to take this thing out and camp in comfort for a change. Perhaps we'll see you around JohnX.

Yah not much heat comes from it, but I can see the light being useful.

The trailer is a 1979 Lance, so it makes sense that it is there.

Thanks

waxer said:
Does anyone know what the hell this thing is for? My only guess if for light @ night so you don't drain the batteries??
DSC06043.JPG

I can't wait to take this thing out and camp in comfort for a change. Perhaps we'll see you around JohnX.

Old Skool, baby

love it john...
I have probably the scariest setup. so bag on me fishpoet...
I have a 96' ram lb 4x4 extracab.
I have a lance that weights in at around 2500# empty.
my jeep weights 3100# and I load it onto my 1800# trailer..
I have the 12v CTD pushing about 311hp.
airbrakes and a manual lockup for my TC clutch.

Its not my tires that I'm worried about, its my wheels. But how i load the camper and trailer is the real key.
load the heaviest items on the floor at the front of the camper and go up from there. load stuff onto the bed. put your trashcan in the bathroom and leave the back end of the camper empty. The best is to just pile everything on the floor against the cab. use those two cabinets to load stuff inside the bed in front of the wheel wells.
for the trailer, use a weight distribution hitch and load the jeep heavy on the trailer and light on the tongue. with the camper you have enough presence on the rear axle to do the job and you are not going to get pushed around by the trailer.
Make your own hitch for the trailer. I used sections of 2" .187" wall tube. my problem is, that there isn't enough vertical separation between the center main hitch tube and the two side tubes. So for added strength I am going to use a pair of turnbuckles coming from the bed of the truck to help pull up on hitch. I load the jeep at the back of the trailer with the tail hanging off to keep weight off the tongue. thats at about 500# and the truck and trailer stay pretty level. I've had to jump on the brakes hard and I have not ever felt myself out of control.
exhaust brakes are very helpful. I can hold a 10% grade at 45mph while being loaded in exess of 17k total weight.
on those torque mounts you made. I suggest doubling up that piece of angled tube.

oh and don't every tell me I don't know what the hell I'm doing.
you can call my crazy but leave it at that.
my truck weights 7000#'s. with the camper its over 11k. I have a dana 70 axle thats rated for 7500#. I have airbags that do an awsome job of pushing it level.

Rawbrown said:
oh and don't every tell me I don't know what the hell I'm doing.
you can call my crazy but leave it at that.
my truck weights 7000#'s. with the camper its over 11k. I have a dana 70 axle thats rated for 7500#. I have airbags that do an awsome job of pushing it level.
holy crap man I would have never guessed your setup weighed in at that much. your truck looks to handle it very well

wait, now that its morning time I have to look up my notes... I think I am of by 1000#'s. crap where did I put them... I first weighted it with the truck camper and trailer empty and it was I think around 11700 or something. then I pulled forward and weighted just the trailer that was 1800 ish. and I've weighted the truck empty before when recycling steel. which was right about 7k. and I've weighted the jeep seperate which was 3100# with only 1100# on the rear axle.
then when I load all the supplies, welder, generator, beer, beer, beer, beer...

I keep telling people this, I want a super cheap 5th wheel trailer with a 26' deck so that I can mount the camper up front and have a flatbed for the jeep on back.

Wow, YOu Calihomos are a danger to yourselves and everyone else on the roads. Do us southern folk a favor and stay over there on the wrong coast!

Just playing fellas, nice rig John!

For all of you who were just dying to know...

Gross combined weight fully loaded for Calico with all tanks full (water and fuel) ready to roll.....drumroll please....

16,340 lbs.

FYI Gross vehicle combined weight rating for my truck is 18K.

I am 400 lbs heavy on the rear axle, and a few hundred over on the total truck weight, but all other numbers are good. Someone better call the cops on me :D

Drove it to the scales and she handles pretty nice. The airbags provide the stable, level ride I hoped they would. The new injectors bring me to around 330 horse and 750 lb ft and seem to move the beast along faster than I want to go. No trouble doing 60mph in overdrive at a leasurely 1800 rpm on level ground. Going up cajon should be a breeze, coming down I think I'll keep it around 45 just to be safe. Truck brakes and trailer brakes work well....but why risk it.

waxerDoes anyone know what the hell this thing is for? My only guess if for light @ night so you don't drain the batteries?? [IMG said:
http://www.thesocalbigdawgs.com/vb/gallery2/main.php/d/8405-2/DSC06043.JPG[/IMG]

You need the white bag that ties too the lamp, just like the one's in the lantern's Just make sure you have fresh air coming in when you use the light..... It will heat you rig up nice.... ( mantles ) i think thats what you call them

JohnX said:

Gross combined weight fully loaded for Calico with all tanks full (water and fuel) ready to roll.....drumroll please....

16,340 lbs.

I am 400 lbs heavy on the rear axle, and a few hundred over on the total truck weight, but all other numbers are good. Someone better call the cops on me :D

Drove it to the scales and she handles pretty nice. The airbags provide the stable, level ride I hoped they would. The new injectors bring me to around 330 horse and 750 lb ft and seem to move the beast along faster than I want to go. No trouble doing 60mph in overdrive at a leasurely 1800 rpm on level ground. Going up cajon should be a breeze, coming down I think I'll keep it around 45 just to be safe. Truck brakes and trailer brakes work well....but why risk it.

John,

:lecture: I heard that they've been cracking down on "over-weight" vehicles up there in Calico. They weigh you before they let you "unload" your stuff.. You may want to fill your tires with helium or don't eat b-fast.... :gag:

:D

E

JohnX said:

16,340 lbs.

Couldnt you move that 400lbs with a load leveling hitch set up ? Nice rig buy the way

Back