• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just wonderin how people make their dough.

May be the only one here, but I'll chime in. I am an ordained minister and work for a church in south central OK. Grew up in a mechanic shop, used to build houses and even put in my time selling tools at Sears. Like my job much better now.

While I do make pretty good money at it, it gets too political at times. I am not in it cause I am on a power trip. I really enjoy helping people, but sometimes it is not worth it. That's when I consider going back to building.

I am not in it cause I am on a power trip. I really enjoy helping people, but sometimes it is not worth it.

I know what you mean. To be honest with you, in my line of work we don't make very good money. And very rarely do we get any respect. I like to help people too but it seems to me, at times, that most people out there think we are here to kiss their @$$ and not save it.

But I will tell you that when people do thank us for what we do... its makes up for the past 20 people that treated us like dogs.

While I am on this subject... when you guys see the red flashy lights coming... PLEASE MOVE OUT OF THE WAY AND STOP. Don't try and race the ambulance or try and get through the intersection that we are coming up on. I almost hit 3 people on Monday cuz they were trying to cut me off and turning into my lane. We can't stop that fast and it's not just for your safety or ours... its also about the patients safety too, I mean you never know.. that ambulance you are not yeilding too might be carrying your loved one.

What's funny is that I got into the legal field because I wanted to help people. Then I meet clients like the one we got today. She left her husband and kids for another guy. She EXPECTS her husband to keep paying her bills (gas, food, cell, etc.). She doesn't see why she has to pay child support cuz she's not working. And DEMANDS proof that her husband is maintaining all the bills for the house so that her credit doesn't get screwed up. My desire to help people is dwindling. I find myself hoping that this one gets to take a ride with someone like Kurt.

But Kurt is right, the one person who truly appreciates the amount of work that we do for them (and we don't charge for most of what we do unlike many law firms)...and truly needs help out of a bad situation....and is thankful for it, makes dealing with the selfish gits MUCH easier.

hehe...I meant that I don't do anything with it that would make money, so literally, I make NO money at it.
I gotcha. I was just wining for a minute. In all honesty, I really like my job. I work with kids and so I play for a living. This afternoon I will fill waterballoons for a hour and then watch kids pummel each other with them for an hour. Then I will take off early and go drive an hour for my camping/ jeeping trip this weekend.
Life is good!

I know what you mean. To be honest with you, in my line of work we don't make very good money. And very rarely do we get any respect. I like to help people too but it seems to me, at times, that most people out there think we are here to kiss their @$$ and not save it.

But I will tell you that when people do thank us for what we do... its makes up for the past 20 people that treated us like dogs.

While I am on this subject... when you guys see the red flashy lights coming... PLEASE MOVE OUT OF THE WAY AND STOP. Don't try and race the ambulance or try and get through the intersection that we are coming up on. I almost hit 3 people on Monday cuz they were trying to cut me off and turning into my lane. We can't stop that fast and it's not just for your safety or ours... its also about the patients safety too, I mean you never know.. that ambulance you are not yeilding too might be carrying your loved one.
Ya, lotta @$$ ki$$in' goin' on here too. Sucks how some jobs can be sooooo political. I used to work for a non-profit building houses. Ultimately I stopped cause I got tired of rich people easing there conscious and undeserving people getting a house. Not trying to judge, it is just that the people I was building for drove nicer rides than me and made more than me. Some of them had rims that were worth more than the truck I drove. Go figure.
But anyway, thanks for doing what you do xxmidianxx and I will ALWAYS clear out for ya.

Last edited:
I know what you guys mean about getting no repsect. I was in law enforcement for 6 and a half years before I started my current job, and I know how it feels to be underpaid, and underappreciated. Its just important to realize this, MOST people appreciate what you do, they just never articulate it to you. The ones who don't appreciate what you do are far fewer, but much more likely to let you know it. People never think of the danger that Police Officers, Fire fighters, and YES EMT's put themselves in to help others, they also rarely think of the sacrifices that others put themselves through as well (ie: people in the ministry, people doing pro bono work Ian). The important thing is (and I am sure you all realize it), that yes you are helping others, but hopefully your job is fullfilling to YOU whether others appreciate what you do or not.

Oh man I love my job. Kinda getting burned out from being on the ambulance... but thats ok because I can still get a job in an ER... Which I am trying to do. I will still work part time on the truck but I little break would be nice.

Last edited:
xxmidianxx, i´m sorry to hear that people don´´t appriciate services of polices officers, firefighters, and EMTs like they should. But thanks for bustin your ass for everyone. My ass was saved the fall of 2007 in the back of an ambulance by an EMT. I had an overdose. Were it not for them, I probably wouldn´t be here. And if I had made it on my own, I probably would be retarded.

I'm a mechanic for a large soft drink manufacturing company, I work on the machines that produce, package and tear up drink boxes, sports drinks, and chilled products. I used to work for coke, now I literally work for coke, it's a vicious cycle

I'm a mechanic for a large soft drink manufacturing company, I work on the machines that produce, package and tear up drink boxes, sports drinks, and chilled products. I used to work for coke, now I literally work for coke, it's a vicious cycle
lol. Since you worked for Coke, tell us; is it really poison what people buy? Because think about it, you drink one, and once you´re done, you want another one. (I don´t drink Coke anymore, I grew a phobia against dark drinks.)

The carbonation actually dehydrates. That's why hang-overs are more prevalent from beer and drinks mixed with soft drinks.
Bleh. So is carbonated water the same thing?

lol. I see.:lickout:

Flores, are you the "come here" guy, or the "m'eer" guy? hahahaparty1:

Back