• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

johnson valley??? lets go!

David Taylor said:
I know you didn't ask for it, but in my opinon, I would never put an exo on a rig that goes to JV. Or anyplace else for that matter.
And since you give your opinion, I must give mine.

Thats the dumbest thing I ever heard! Unless you didnt like Any of the sheet metal to resemble a XJ after a few dozen good hard runs...

ROBERTK said:

Thats the dumbest thing I ever heard! Unless you didnt like Any of the sheet metal to resemble a XJ after a few dozen good hard runs...

Sheeesh...Dave had a bad episode with an exo cage once, and he has never been the same since.
Lets not get into the exo cage debate here...:firedevil:
But....a buggy has some serious advantages in big rocks.
And an exo cage is just a realy FAT (wide?) buggy...that doesn't
have any advantages in big rocks.
Ask Bent about rock damage...or
Dan....or Ryan....heck, you could even ask me! :D
Rick R

Jump This said:
Sheeesh...Dave had a bad episode with an exo cage once, and he has never been the same since.
Rick R

What damage? are you saying I have body damage??

I guess my days of "Best of Show" are over.

Actually, I consider those as trail trophies.....

-Dan

ROBERTK said:

I will try and keep an open mind. Maybe you could help change my mind with your Idea's on the exo. How do you plan on protecting the doors without making the b-pillar
a rock anchor. Maybe you have a two door ? They just always seem to add weight with little or no real added protection

David Taylor said:
I will try and keep an open mind. Maybe you could help change my mind with your Idea's on the exo. How do you plan on protecting the doors without making the b-pillar
a rock anchor. Maybe you have a two door ? They just always seem to add weight with little or no real added protection

Cant really protect the "doors" them self and keep it 4dr freindly. But you Can run a roof tube at the apex of the roof lines either side tied to the gutter rails in at least 5 places each side as well as full front lower fender line and tied from a radiator hoop to the lower side rockers. Then a upper fender tube to a cowl area hoop that the roof tubes tie to, back to a rear bumper hoop. Then one more from the rear bumper over the rear tire following the fender line to the rockers. Thats about the best I think can be done. All in all what 150-175lbs in tube.

With something as basic as this you would not only preserve the body some, but allow the full structure some true ridgitness. But you are fully correct in that the doors would not be protected much. But with a nice designed rocker and roof (lower on the side of the roof/side) at least you would preverse the opening areas mostly. And more then anything build a slide area up high and down low as well as full hood area protection and rear body line.

Thats just my .02

No, I think Ray Pili has you beat on that one. something about a broken moser shaft at the wheel flange. Wasn't that JB's wedding? had to leave it on the trail for like a day or two IIRC.
Jump This said:
Ya think he meant it in a metaphorical sence?? :D
And I believe I have the record for the longest uninterupted run up Clawhammer, and therefore, I 'own' that one!!:laugh3:
Rick R

Ditto...
David Taylor said:
I'm no "Tin Bender" and I know you didn't ask for it, but in my opinon, I would never put an exo on a rig that goes to JV. Or anyplace else for that matter.

man, you should see the pace that these guys work at...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
CRASH said:
Ron actually pays you guys to fawk around with angle grinders and go sailing?

doesn't look like much of an XJ with a jungle gym mounted to it.
ROBERTK said:

If one is afraid of getting body damage to the point of an EXO, then one should rething the desire to explore the hammers of JV.
Jump This said:
Rick R

Nice to meet you Ben!

There were no Tin Benders there* - thank god the owners of the trail didnt show up... they'da been pissed that we were blocking up the trails for so long!

*Chris Butler may or may not be a Tin Bender, but on the CB he proclaimed "There are no tin benders here" :D

if you really thing that an exo is gonna do all that in JV, then your in for a suprise. JV is the kinda place that even if you double up on the condom, your still gonna get her pregnant. the hammers are that kind of a whore. the only reason you need roof protection is because your adding the weight thats gonna pull your roof closer to the rocks.
The minute I stopped carrying a spare and a tool for every possible problem, I stopped having those problems. I started wheeling a lightened jeep and I found forward progress to be easier. Rather than grinding a diff into a rock I can grind a diff over a rock and keep going. So you talk about 150-175# like its nothing. Its alot. give it a try, run a trail with 3 people in your jeep then run the same trail by yourself. night and day
ROBERTK said:
Cant really protect the "doors" them self and keep it 4dr freindly. But you Can run a roof tube at the apex of the roof lines either side tied to the gutter rails in at least 5 places each side as well as full front lower fender line and tied from a radiator hoop to the lower side rockers. Then a upper fender tube to a cowl area hoop that the roof tubes tie to, back to a rear bumper hoop. Then one more from the rear bumper over the rear tire following the fender line to the rockers. Thats about the best I think can be done. All in all what 150-175lbs in tube.

With something as basic as this you would not only preserve the body some, but allow the full structure some true ridgitness. But you are fully correct in that the doors would not be protected much. But with a nice designed rocker and roof (lower on the side of the roof/side) at least you would preverse the opening areas mostly. And more then anything build a slide area up high and down low as well as full hood area protection and rear body line.

Thats just my .02

Rawbrown said:
if you really thing that an exo is gonna do all that in JV, then your in for a suprise. JV is the kinda place that even if you double up on the condom, your still gonna get her pregnant. the hammers are that kind of a whore. the only reason you need roof protection is because your adding the weight thats gonna pull your roof closer to the rocks.
The minute I stopped carrying a spare and a tool for every possible problem, I stopped having those problems. I started wheeling a lightened jeep and I found forward progress to be easier. Rather than grinding a diff into a rock I can grind a diff over a rock and keep going. So you talk about 150-175# like its nothing. Its alot. give it a try, run a trail with 3 people in your jeep then run the same trail by yourself. night and day

3 people! Daym that only equals 150-175lbs to you? Shit my wife wieghs that alone,

I do wheel with others and alone and yes it makes a difference, so why dont you remove your bumpers? I mean you dont need them either right? Or are they already gone? I have never hit a bumper on any bolder or such, but plenty of rockers, roof lines and corners.

and yeah I guess you can take easier lines. But to really get the testosterone pumping I feel liek I need to take lines that are not the "easy" one, and then once I get all fubared in, then worry about getting out. With that mentality its worth it to ME to just add protection where its needed to ensure saftey as well as allowing my doors to open / shut and the rear hatch to still function. Not to mention the corners from crushing in so easily an the radiator protected.

Again just my opinion. Oh and I see more exo rigs that are doing the most difficult JV trails then not. So,I am not alone I think... Or It could always be that I just happen to see them and thats not the true case?

XJ_ranger said:
Nice to meet you Ben!

There were no Tin Benders there* - thank god the owners of the trail didnt show up... they'da been pissed that we were blocking up the trails for so long!

*Chris Butler may or may not be a Tin Bender, but on the CB he proclaimed "There are no tin benders here" :D

So bens shit (you know I mean that in a good way lol) made it through? What trail(s) did you run?

ROBERTK said:
So bens shit (you know I mean that in a good way lol) made it through? What trail(s) did you run?

made it all the way to camp!

we ran Claw Hammer, Lower Big Johnson, and Backdoor (sorta)

XJ_ranger said:
I am most definitely not a Tin Bender. I saw you guys taking a lot of pics, are you going to post them up? M wife got very few. :(
I have to link them so I need to get them on my host.

Wow what a blast!

Captin rons rig was amazing, floated right over whoops and dips that would swalow a small honda.

Avery, opie, ron, phil, you guys were awesome thanks for putting up with me and showing me some of what jv has to offer. I had a really good time and my forehead is sunburnt.

Well after seeing what the hammers were like I'm going to big bear this afternoon! Lol ill be running holcomb and dishpan, figured I'd stay in my own league.

I'm probablly gonna check out stoddard valley soon ala rons advice, hopefully soon. So look out for a stoddard valley, lets go post.

Butler I got a few pics one of you attacking and conquering that sand dune so ill try an post thems up, I got a bunch on rons cam too including a video of you making that climb on backdoor.

Thanks again guys!

Back