• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Goatfest in Johnson Valley Nov 13-14

Something tells me this might be the last true "Goatfest" with all the BS going on with the group stuff. KOH looks like it will be a "Pay to watch" event, large groups have to have permets etc. etc. etc.

Mark my words, 2010 Goatfest is the event to be at!

Aftershock is lots of fun with 33's and full lockers:
JV06_0075.jpg

JVAS1107_0446.jpg

JVAS1107_0444.jpg

JVAS1107_0487.jpg

JVAS1107_1011.jpg

JVAS1107_1094.jpg

JV06_0092.jpg

I love Outer Limits, even if it kicked my ass last year, more for the 35's and over, but some with skills can make it on 33's:

DSC_0122.jpg

DSC_0171.jpg

DSC_0219.jpg

DSC_0299-1.jpg

DSC_0438.jpg

JVOL1107_0087.jpg

JVOL1107_0110.jpg

JVOL1107_0226.jpg

Sat night dinner is free, provided by G&G Off Road. This is always the best trip of the year for folks who aren't familiar with JV or have full bodied rigs. Lot's of full bodies on this trip.

I can't wait. My junk wasn't ready for last years event so I shot video and rode passenger with Letterman. I had fun, but I really wanted to wheel myself. I plan on heading down this year and test out my new mods on the rig.

My first trip down in 2004. Almost 8" of snow fell on us the last night. Not a good thing for someone who didn't bring any cold weather gear.
standard.jpg

Most people won't know who this guy is. That is one bad ass go-anywhere rig. I can only wish my junk was that nice.
standard.jpg

Take heed of the warning signs.
standard.jpg

I learned quite a bit about my rig, my driving skills (mostly a lack thereof), and what real rockcrawling was all about.
standard.jpg

a few more pics...

The infamous bottle of Jagermeister at the bottom of the falls on Wrecking Ball. Those who took a shot before driving up did much better than those who didn't. ;)
standard.jpg

Beautiful sunsets each night.
standard.jpg

Jes
standard.jpg

Letterman's first trip down to JV. About 200 ft into Aftershock, already smiling.
standard.jpg

Sledge makes a good night run.
standard.jpg

Got wedged and snapped my right rear axle shaft, twisted the splines on the left side as well.
standard.jpg

Highway 20 on 33's, not a good idea. Note to self, when barely clearing a rock on the left side of the rig, DO NOT STOP MOVING.
standard.jpg

Do not pick up hitch hikers. :anon:
standard.jpg

Never put a rear axle shaft back in with twisted splines.
standard.jpg

Sounds like Cracker has volunteered some of his URF idiots to lead Sledge on Saturday . . .

Oh and Bryan, I think Cracker and I want to run Highway 19 and 20 on Friday!

Cliff on Highway 19:
JV06_0185.jpg

Line up:
JV06_0196.jpg

Jes on the Falls on 19:
JV06_0243.jpg

The pass:
JV06_0267.jpg

Start of Highway 20:
JV06_0290.jpg

Hay look someone put it over in the background:
JV06_0301.jpg

Tippy line:
JV06_0359.jpg

The end of a window:
JV06_0365.jpg

A cat in the box of 20:
JV06_0464.jpg

The end of 20 is nothing like it once was:
JV06_0522.jpg

Norm's Video from that day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj1Fp74BAH4

Directions!
If you have never been here are some directions:

From Bakersfield go east on Highway 58 take I15 East to Las Vegas.
LVSign.jpg

Only go about 4 miles and exit I15 onto Barstow Rd also called Highway 247.

JV06_0950.jpg

Go roughly 30 miles to the stop sign in Lucerne Valley, this is the last town to get gas. There is a all night gas station to the right.

Turn left staying on Hwy 247 now called Old Women Springs Road, go 22 miles to Boone Road. Look for the large brown sign on the right side of the road that says "Johnson Valley OHV Recreation Area Boon Road", and turn left down Boone Rd.
BoonRoadSign.jpg

Make sure you turn on Boon Road, there are lots of signs for other areas of Johnson Valley. One way to look for Boone Rd is that it's right at the end of a real long straight section of the highway, if you make the right hand bend in the road after the long straight-a-way you just missed Boone Rd. If you're coming in the dark, it helps to look for that big white arrow.

Boon Road:
BoonRoad.jpg

Drive roughly 4 miles to the lakebed and look for the group on the left as you come onto the lakebed. Watch out for the bomb craters.

From San Jose trip distance: 435 mi Time: 7 hrs 02 mins :wierd:

If only it were one week later. :(

Great, he wants to come home for Goatfest, but not to see his dad....:gee:

Well you should come out to Goatfest, take some photos for him to see what he missed.

There is LOTS of places your rig can go, and always open seats to see the ugly stuff.

Last edited:
Tempting to come down just to hang, drink, and cook some tri-tip. :chef:

Come for G & G's Free Food!!! And I am almost sure you could find a seat to ride along.

That Goat just turned 60, hard to tell how much longer he will be around for his event! :skull2: :skull2: :D

Some shots of Wrecking ball:

DSC_0366.jpg

Same outfit day:
DSC_0444.jpg

Pink Shirt:
DSC_0476.jpg

F'in toy:
DSC_0584.jpg

Not many full body rigs go up this one:
DSC_0670.jpg

Some guy from Potato land:
DSC_0623.jpg

The tippy line:
DSC_0720.jpg

Oh and who said there is no trees in JV, here you can see a Sequoia:
JV06_0915.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like I am out...

and looking at all these pics just makes me jealous of all those than can go and attend. I showed up last year in my buggy, ran chocolate thunder on Friday, broke on outer limits on Saturday, and took it easy on Claw on Sunday.

I only ran three trails, and I had as much fun that weekend as I did when I went down there with all the buggies I normally wheel with. This a great event, and everyone who has the capacity to go should really do their best to show up.

Back