• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydro-Assist just got cheaper! under $100

law.74 said:
It might work axelhousing to draglink though like a stabilizer. I've never seen it done that way, though.
That's how mine will be done. I was skeptical of my own design until last fall when I saw a buggied TJ with a ram set up on the draglink of his Currie steering (inverted y like stock). It was holding up to his use on 37's so I'll be trying it whenever I get around to making the mounts. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I'll be using some lesser grade 1/2" bolts to mount the ram. They'll hopefully act as a "fuse" in the steering and go before I break anything else.

nhrocker said:
That's how mine will be done. I was skeptical of my own design until last fall when I saw a buggied TJ with a ram set up on the draglink of his Currie steering (inverted y like stock). It was holding up to his use on 37's so I'll be trying it whenever I get around to making the mounts. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I'll be using some lesser grade 1/2" bolts to mount the ram. They'll hopefully act as a "fuse" in the steering and go before I break anything else.

I'd like to see that.

BTW, what is the knuckle arc lock to lock distance for a stock D30?

law.74 said:
I'd like to see that.

BTW, what is the knuckle arc lock to lock distance for a stock D30?
I don't have any pics of the Rubicon I saw with it, but I'll take pics of mine if I ever get around to mounting it.

The throw of the pitman arm is 8". In my rig the steering box maxes out before the knuckles get to the steering stops.

heres a pic of the rubi nhrocker was talkin about
DSC00424.jpg

DSC01008-1.jpg

I just wanted to say thatnks to BrettM for all the info, I'm a newb to this forum and all the stuff that I've learned has been a big help, I was also un-aware of how capable the XJ's are. I've wanted one since I was 16 but being as my dad was a real controll freek he decided that I only deserved a 2wd 4banger ranger, so at 23 I finally got my XJ and I am turning it into what I always wanted thanks to all you guys, Thanks again!!

Kelvin

vetteboy said:
Going with a Durango box will give you even more force but will be even slower with the stock pump.
vetteboy said:
I wouldn't bother with the Durango box. It's a great choice if you're NOT planning on adding hydro-assist and are looking for a stronger bolt-in solution...and it'll require even more flow to work quickly.
I installed an AGR pump a year or two ago when my pump went out, now my stock box is toast. Would an AGR pump supply enough flow for a Durango box to make it work quickly? I'm looking for an upgrade without power assist, but I'll drill and tap it now so power assist could be an option later.

cool thread to revive!!
i always wanted to do this someday..... maybe the day is near!

yup im looking into this also..im going to do some more research whill i save money...and pay off debt..lol...i didnt see it in the pic but you mounted the ram on the diff cover? i think i read that right?

yes, a reinforced/hd diff cover

definitely put a cooler on, it's very cheap, very easy, and will quite possibly save your pump which is rather expensive. go to a junkyard and grab a steering cooler from a Ford Explorer.

Nice tip. I'll take a look :D
Bringing this back from the dead. !!!1 At least it's for tech.

My pump gets pissed off and whines at me pushing around my locked 39.5's halfway through the day, plus I run drive flanges so that doesn't help things.

I modded a pump and have yet to swap it because I want to add a cooler and reservoir.

If I want to run an external reservoir, where should I mount it?

Does the cooler go on the low pressure line (return line) between the box and the pump?

Any suggestions on a higher quality power steering fluid that is locally available?

The cooler should be in the return line. The pressure in the high pressure line is too high for most coolers to handle. The reservoir should be mounted higher than the pump. I don't really know about a better fluid but check royal purple or red line or amsoil.

Back