• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydro-Assist just got cheaper! under $100

Last edited:
Anyone out there have the original parts list, or any install mounting pics? please!! Thread seams to be missin alot

heres a couple
IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

the setup i used

1.5X8X1 DA HYDraulic CYLinder SWIVEL EYES (1)

JIC 6M x 1/4 NPTM 45 ELBOW (2)

JIC 6M x SAE 6M CONNECTOR (2)

1/4" X 36" JIC 6F X JIC 6F 5000 PSI HYDraulic HOSE (2)

98CherokeeSport

How does your setup work? Are you happy with it? Anything you would do different?

I have a 1989 Jeep Cherokee Sport and just ordered the same parts as you and just wanted to make sure you are happy with it. Also did you tap your steering box yourself? And what directions did you follow in order to do this since the one on this forum has no pictures? There is on at pirate4x4.com that I was going to follow. Also, how much of this steering box did you have to take apart to tap and drill the box? Is this hard to do as well or just time consuming?

Thanks in advance :)

98CherokeeSport

How does your setup work? Are you happy with it? Anything you would do different?

I have a 1989 Jeep Cherokee Sport and just ordered the same parts as you and just wanted to make sure you are happy with it. Also did you tap your steering box yourself? And what directions did you follow in order to do this since the one on this forum has no pictures? There is on at pirate4x4.com that I was going to follow. Also, how much of this steering box did you have to take apart to tap and drill the box? Is this hard to do as well or just time consuming?

alot of these threads are old so the pics have disappeared by now but alot of the people doing these threads are doing them on several boards so the info you are reading is probably posted by the same person.....a bunch of threads with pics have recently been bumped top the top over at pirate which im sure would/could happen here as well...

98CherokeeSport

You really need to completely take the box apart after tapping and flush out all the passages to get rid of metalic pieces or you steering could freeze up at the worst possible time.

Tom,
I bought one of your boxes a month or two ago and still haven't installed but would the latest parts listed (about a year ago lol) by 98CherokeeSport still work fine with your reman'd and tapped box?

Yes. I actually run the Surplus Center cylinder on my rig. I had my hoses made locally.

Yes. I actually run the Surplus Center cylinder on my rig. I had my hoses made locally.

old thread, but any idea where the surplus center cylinders are made?

Have everything in 98 cherokee's list in my shopping cart for about $130. I am confident I can do the work, but not 100% sure on how hydraulic systems work, so id rather order the same parts that worked for someone else. May order longer hoses though since I have 8 inches of lift.

Would rather spend more and get a usa made cylinder if these are imported. Thanks!

Just an FYI, you can get a PSC ram from multiple naxja vendors for not a whole lot more than the surplus center rams. The PSC are adjustable, smaller shaft too

This thread is from 2005
Not suprisingly, things have changed a little bit since then
Here is a ram with similar specs http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydrau...s/1-5X8X1-DA-HYD-CYL-SWIVEL-EYES-9-7258-8.axd
I got one of these just recently and set up my hydro assist and its amazing. I'm very glad I spent the time and money on it. I'm also glad I could do it with parts that I put together myself rather than opening the wallet further to buy a complete system from someone like psc. Besides a bigger rod is a good thing as its less likely to bend if it gets smacked into a rock, even though it does effect how well the ram functions one direction vs the other but its not noticeable.

So just to throw a wrench into the mix, since I know a place to buy many different rams for decent prices.

What would be best for a d30, 1ton steering and 35" tires:
1. 1.5x8x1 double acting ram
Or
2. 1x8x5/8" double acting ram

So just to throw a wrench into the mix, since I know a place to buy many different rams for decent prices.

What would be best for a d30, 1ton steering and 35" tires:
1. 1.5x8x1 double acting ram
Or
2. 1x8x5/8" double acting ram

Neither. Assuming it's a stock XJ D30, you'd want a ram with 6" throw, unless you're ditching your steering stops or something out of the ordinary. I suppose you could buy a 8" ram and limit it with spacers if you really wanted to. I just finished my hydro assist on the same setup you've got. I used a 1.5x6x1 swivel eye ram from Surplus Center. Perfect amount of throw on my D30.

Last edited:
I used an 8 inch throw ram on my build because it was for a waggy d44. From what I've read, all d44 and d60's use a ram with 8 in of throw but I never measured my d30. So where is your other cheap source for rams?

Back