• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydro-Assist just got cheaper! under $100

what are you running now ?

Thanks for bumping this guys. I thought a setup like this would cost a LOT more. I have to do some reading now.

Thanks for all the research :cool:

BrettM said:
wait... that is the one on there now... my bad. I first had a 1.5x8x.75 but I hit the cylinder on a rock and bent the rod. both work just dandy, though I really should have taken my own advice and put a cooler on :shhh:
Brett, you have your ram hard mounted with no adjustability whereas ashman, you have yours mounted with an adjustable sleeve on the tierod. Do you guys think it's better to get a ram like PSC's with the adjustable heims or having the mounts adjustable like ashman's?

my adjustability comes with a cutting wheel and a welder.

of course it would be easier to adjust with heims or a movable tie-rod mount. both are good; you can adjust a tie-rod mount more than heims, but if you don't make the tie-rod mount right it won't clamp well enough.

nhrocker said:
Brett, you have your ram hard mounted with no adjustability whereas ashman, you have yours mounted with an adjustable sleeve on the tierod. Do you guys think it's better to get a ram like PSC's with the adjustable heims or having the mounts adjustable like ashman's?

I just finished setting mine up with an adjustable collar;

DSC01047.JPG

I did that so I didn't get screwed when I went to do the toe-in alignment. I wanted to be able to set the ram at full extension regardless of how the tie rod was rotated.

Tie rod is 1.5" DOM, and the collar is 2" x .25 DOM cut in half. Between cutting and grinding I made about a 3/16" gap between the two halves, and with the inside surface roughed up a little bit by sanding I don't think it's going anywhere. Another view from when I was mocking it up with the old tie rod:

extend.JPG

Clearances turned out a little tight:

DSC01049.JPG

Rather than get the straight O-ring to NPT adapter and then the 90* NPT elbow (like shown in Brett's original parts listing) I just got a single 90* adapter to go from the SAE to NPT fitting. It's kind of nice, there's a jam nut on it so you can lock down the orientation wherever you need to. The ram is 1.5" x 8" x 1". Maybe some day soon I'll be able to do more with it besides move the knuckles back and forth on the jackstands.

VegasAnthony said:
sory to bring up an old thread but
couldnt you just have cut and turned the cylinder??.or would that mess with the integrity of the pump?
He probably could have, but it looks to me like that would have put the lines and fittings directly in line with his track bar. Depending on how much compression his drivers side has, that could have been bad news for it first time he stuffs that side.

...of course this is coming from a guy that's had all the parts for this mod sitting in his house for months. Thanks for reminding me that I need to get back to work on this.

VegasAnthony said:
sory to bring up an old thread but
couldnt you just have cut and turned the cylinder??.or would that mess with the integrity of the pump?

I cut and rotated mine with no problems.

nhrocker said:
He probably could have, but it looks to me like that would have put the lines and fittings directly in line with his track bar. Depending on how much compression his drivers side has, that could have been bad news for it first time he stuffs that side.

Correct. I didn't like how the lines were going to be routed if I did it that way, however it's not uncommon for people to do that.

I should probably add that I've since got this whole thing working, and it turns my 39.5's with full weight on 'em really nicely. The 8" travel works perfect without requiring any spacers to limit it, and with the Poison Spyder hi-steer arm I was able to match the travel of the pitman arm to the travel of the knuckles perfectly.

DSC01131.JPG

Still hasn't moved yet (rear axle isn't finished) but I'm pleased with the performance sitting still. It's a little slower if you really try to crank it from one side to the other but that could be fixed if you modify the pump to get some more flow.

vetteboy said:
It's a little slower if you really try to crank it from one side to the other but that could be fixed if you modify the pump to get some more flow.

but isnt ashman runnin a 3/8 line and you guys are talking about 1/4 right??

vetteboy said:
I just finished setting mine up with an adjustable collar;

I did that so I didn't get screwed when I went to do the toe-in alignment. I wanted to be able to set the ram at full extension regardless of how the tie rod was rotated.

Tie rod is 1.5" DOM, and the collar is 2" x .25 DOM cut in half. Between cutting and grinding I made about a 3/16" gap between the two halves, and with the inside surface roughed up a little bit by sanding I don't think it's going anywhere. Another view from when I was mocking it up with the old tie rod:

Clearances turned out a little tight:

DSC01049.JPG

Rather than get the straight O-ring to NPT adapter and then the 90* NPT elbow (like shown in Brett's original parts listing) I just got a single 90* adapter to go from the SAE to NPT fitting. It's kind of nice, there's a jam nut on it so you can lock down the orientation wherever you need to. The ram is 1.5" x 8" x 1". Maybe some day soon I'll be able to do more with it besides move the knuckles back and forth on the jackstands.

Am i missing something here or are the hoses 1/4 npt and the fitting that are on the pump 3/8 npt..

so to use the pump that the linky take you to you also will need a

3/8" npt to 1/4" npt bushing

instead of the

SAE 4M x 1/4 NPTF adapter

????

VegasAnthony said:
sorry if Im beating this to death but I NEED ANSWERS

buy some parts...

get out some calipers...

figure out answers! :D :D

What you need for fittings depends on what you're using.

Most people tap their boxes with 1/4" NPT, so I'll start there. For my setup I've got a 1/4"NPTmale to 1/4"NPTfemale 45*swivel fitting, male end for the box, female end so my 1/4" hoses with 1/4"NPTmale ends can attach directly to it. On the other end I've got a 1/4"NPTfemale to SAE6M 90* swivel fitting, the NPTfemale end attaches to the hose and the SAE male end goes direct into my hydro cylinder.

I think I typed that up just confusing enough so that you might still want to take Opie's suggestion and grab some calipers.... :laugh3:

BRIANHO13 said:
Look at the very first page of this thread, it has an entire parts list.
I just listed my parts cause I ended up choosing a different ram that changed what fittings I needed anyway, and eliminated the need for separate adapters and fittings.

Like I said, it's all going to depend on what you want to use for a ram and hoses. Once you decide that it's not hard to figure out, female has to go to male, male has to go to female. Just figure out what sizes everything needs to be and you're good to go.

nhrocker said:
I just listed my parts cause I ended up choosing a different ram that changed what fittings I needed anyway, and eliminated the need for separate adapters and fittings.

Like I said, it's all going to depend on what you want to use for a ram and hoses. Once you decide that it's not hard to figure out, female has to go to male, male has to go to female. Just figure out what sizes everything needs to be and you're good to go.

I understand and modified the list as I needed as well, but the list is a good starting place for someone who has no clue.

XJ_ranger said:
buy some parts...

get out some calipers...

figure out answers! :D :D

thanks Opie......I know I should have just done it that way but a parts list is soooooo much easier ..Im tired of trial and error on this D44$$

who was it that said building a 44 was easy.....not!!!!!!

BRIANHO13 said:
Look at the very first page of this thread, it has an entire parts list.

Ok so Ill go by the part list and when I get it all together I wont be able to hook up my hoses cause I dont have a

the corect adapter for the pump that is linked to from THE PARTS LIST ..

BUT for anyone else reading this thread that little glitch wont happen to them cause they read the entire post

basically it ends up being that the pump could have one of three fittings on it
the one on the linky is 3/8" NPT..

nhrocker got it right

NAXJA :exclamati

Ive used the list to do 4 of these conversion without issue

VegasAnthony said:
thanks Opie......I know I should have just done it that way but a parts list is soooooo much easier ..Im tired of trial and error on this D44$$

who was it that said building a 44 was easy.....not!!!!!!

Ok so Ill go by the part list and when I get it all together I wont be able to hook up my hoses cause I dont have a

the corect adapter for the pump that is linked to from THE PARTS LIST ..

BUT for anyone else reading this thread that little glitch wont happen to them cause they read the entire post

basically it ends up being that the pump could have one of three fittings on it
the one on the linky is 3/8" NPT..

nhrocker got it right

NAXJA :exclamati

Back