• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homemade Snorkels

Beezil said:
I wanna see an xj in water above the hood line dammit....
:)

Yup, you did say above the hood. Yup, got me there....you would have to be an idiot to drive in water that deep...snorkel or not, waterproof or not.
Maybe you and I have different views on the true use of a snorkel. I view it as a insurance policy to raise the intake above stock to prevent the intrusion of water in the case of sudden quick submergence, like driving into a body of water off a steep bank. I can see how your open element would also do the same thing, and may be another solution, provided it is mounted high enough in the engine bay.
The only downside I can see to the open elemnet is that mud, that seems to cover everything under the hood, may cause an issue by plugging the element. Again, I dont do rock, I do run some mud (lotta mud in the 'burbs) and after a few moments the engine is covered. I would think in this case the snorkel would be preferable.

I still run the stock box, have thought about a snorkel and a open element....still on the fence. This is a good debate, I look forward to hearing from both sides.

Rev
BTW - I do not consider ANY (except maybe a chrome tailpipe)Jeep mod gay.

Beezil said:
opening.jpg

okay, see? THATS what I'm talking about!!! everyone take a look at that guy! Provided he has done the rest of the necessary mods to keep that engine running while he finished the water crossing, THAT guy justifies his snorkle.......

I contend most snorkle owners don't have the balls to ford water deep enough to justify their snorkel.....

Actually....going by your initial comments....NO he does not justify his snorkel, your open element would still be above water, assuming it was on the passanger side.

Rev

My reason

Well I dont have a snorkel... yet.

But after goin into deep water. (it was over my hood) I spent about $170 replacing everything - so the 220 to buy a snorkel would of been a good idea.

Look at this engine

Now fixing that is a bit more money then the 220 a snorkel could of saved, not to mention the time it took. I dont think 104 k on the engine alone could kill it. and I have not dished out any other punishment then the water.

Great pic...but if you read my lil ancedote from Oct I had the hood under water of the river while the ass poked in the air...truck ran dandy...I don't want a beer, and was too busy getting unstuck (and bailing water out with my coffe mug) to get pics, but I'd call it justified...just look at the pics of the YJ LOL! He had a new motor on the to do list after...I had to get a new mug and dry the rugs out;)

Beezil said:
opening.jpg

okay, see? THATS what I'm talking about!!! everyone take a look at that guy! Provided he has done the rest of the necessary mods to keep that engine running while he finished the water crossing, THAT guy justifies his snorkle.......

I contend most snorkle owners don't have the balls to ford water deep enough to justify their snorkel.....

At least this guy has.......

if this guy shows up in Moab, I owe him a sixpack. I hope he like bud light, cause thats what he's getting.

Beezil said:

I thought the main reason for a snorkel was to collect cooler air and the speed induced ram effect to deliver it to the motor? Being able to drive through deep water is a side benefit. Save the beer money Beez.....buy the guy a floatation device cause that open window is begging for an interior bath......the snorkle won't help a submerged fusepanel:eek:

Is that Jes :D

I've been in over my hood for more than 20 mins. with no snorkle and made it out without shutting the motor off. Snorkels ARE gay. They limit how high you can cut your fenders :rolleyes:

Sean

Snorkels, the "usually a poser, but sometimes sh*t happens mod."

bones_aftertug2.JPG

rudmud1-vi.jpg

bigstuck-vi.jpg

smmuda1-vi.jpg

plunge1-vi.jpg

Bones :skull1:

My snorkel was one of my first mods, & I love it! I live in south Louisiana we have lots of water to deal with. Every time it rains we get street flooding. I've had water over my bumper driving to work, a snorkel was a real good investment.

I could have used one on two occasions: Once in Uwharrie and once at a construction site/pipeline in Raleigh.

The first one cost me a motor... the second one I just had to bail out the airbox (and the cabin...I had standing water higher than the door sills, till it oozed out) Both times the motor stayed running even though the distributor was submerged...grease & silicone is your friend in mud/water.

Since then I have added an airtube/K&N (Renix on drivers side) and have pondered cutting a hole in the hood and making a 'temporary' snorkel from an elbow and a 1.5' piece of tube... something easy enough to chuck on there for short water xings...not for daily wear.

If I had a Safari Snorkel, it'd been crushed or torn off on my last trip to tellico... or at least it would have scooped big dirt through the inlet.

woody said:

If I had a Safari Snorkel, it'd been crushed or torn off on my last trip to tellico... or at least it would have scooped big dirt through the inlet.

you'd be supurised how tough the safari snorkel is, I've had my snorkel hit hard on trees/rocks and it's still in one piece.

i another one for wish i had a snorkel.On a water crossing last year it got over the fenders stalled the truck i got it about 20 min later (hand winch).When i got it out i started it and drove home fine 2 weeks later i though a rod and put a six inch hole in my block a 70 miles a hour.It keep runing until i got to the sholder and shut it off .This is on my 95 with 90,000 on it . A used long bolck only cost me 200 but driving to a constution site most of the winter in a minivan hurt learn from me get a snorkel

I'll agree that the first thing most street jeepers buy is a snorkle. Then they buy the rest of the chrome crap in the catalog. I'm not saying that everyone with a snorkle is a street jeep......... I needed to relocate my airbox and I figured I'd make the intake as high as possible just to be safe cause I do like to mud womp it during the rainy season.

airbox2.jpg

airbox3.jpg

It's off a Chrysler LeBaron I think (coolness) and has the same size inlet as the Heep box does. The bottom will be ducted into the valance under the windshield and will suck air in from there.

:anon:

Forgive the condition of my motor, I'm waiting for it to die so I can stroke the carcass. :D

I like relocating it to the back of the engine compartment like that better then the external snorkel. Is it sucking air from up front like a stock box or just from the engine compartment?

It is sucking air from below the front windshield. The same place your cool air comes in for the A/C, if you have such a thing. LOL.

Back