• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No voltage at fuse

Rakillia

NAXJA Forum User
97 xj sport 4.0 4wd

No power at fuse 16 in passenger footwell fuse box. Other fuses in the box have voltage. I have power at the iod fuse under the hood. Is there anything that would cause this other than a problem with the fuse box itself? Since the interior lights are on this fuse I would imagine it's supposed to always have power but did check it koeo.

I've always had trouble with the power locks/windows and the interior lights and radio have never worked but I didn't care. Recently, while driving, I suddenly lost the gauges, which I do want. All the dash lights still work, just none of the gauges and the odometer is blank. I did check the obd and got the 2.4v and 60 ohms. I'm not entirely convinced fuse 16 is the problem since the radio and such have never worked but is worth fixing.

I should add there's no codes or cel light and the odometer is blank and the airbag light goes out. I have correct voltage at Pin 8 on C1 connector. Am I supposed to have voltage between pin 1&2 on C2 connector? Because I do not. I never could find the G108 ground. I think I'm looking for 2 bolts with wires going to them but I can't find it. But just going to chassis ground C1&C2 were both good.

So there is a Fuse #16 (10a) in the Junction block. This powers the right headlight and gets power from the beam select switch (high beam). So, on the surface, it makes sense it has no power if your beam select is in Low Beam.

There's is also a Fuse #16 (15a) in the PDC (under the hood). This does send power to the interior lights (Cargo, cluster, under hood) as well as the TCM as Lawson says above.

You said "passenger footwell" in your post above. Makes me think you're looking at the wrong fuse.

So there is a Fuse #16 (10a) in the Junction block. This powers the right headlight and gets power from the beam select switch (high beam). So, on the surface, it makes sense it has no power if your beam select is in Low Beam.

There's is also a Fuse #16 (15a) in the PDC (under the hood). This does send power to the interior lights (Cargo, cluster, under hood) as well as the TCM as Lawson says above.

You said "passenger footwell" in your post above. Makes me think you're looking at the wrong fuse.
I'm certainly getting confused. I did see a diagram that said fuse 16 was the headlight but then another diagram said right headlamp=fuse 5 both on the JB. Both claim to be for a 97+ xj. I found a good fsm for a 99 but I don't see it listed. I saw another diagram that said fuse 16 only fed the back lights and the odometer. Are there any diagrams that show all the circuits instead of broken out individually? Turns out I was supposed to be looking at fuse 9 all along? The conflicting information is making this harder than it needs to be.

And yes it's an auto and yes sometimes it doesn't want to shift but then other days its fine. The odometer(when it worked) said 256K miles.

Deciphering Jeep schematics can be confusing. All of the later models use the same style for the schematics. Components in solid lines are detailed on that page. Components in dashed lines, come from another page with the page listed in ( ). It like the old Thomas Guides (road maps) for those old enough to remember.

From my read, both fuses in the junction block power the right headlamp. One for low beam, one for high beam.

So I should probably change the title to "make sure you have the right fuse diagram" but I see what I did. Pin 8 in the c1 connector on the cluster is supposed to be battery voltage. I have 1/2 a volt. In my rush I read that as open and then confused the jb for the pdc. So I wasted a little time but either way pin 8 doesn't have correct voltage. I have voltage at the fuse. Page 8w-40-2, it comes out of the Jb on the c4 connector, but then goes through s225, c201, s216. How do I go about identifying and locating whatever a s216 is?

Splices locations are shown in the FSM, my 2000 shows s216 right behind the instrument cluster.

Back