• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Routing ARB Air Lines to Rear Axle

Ol Blue

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have tips/tricks on how to route ARB air lines to the rear axle? I'd love to see pictures of how you did it.

Just swapped in one of the old Currie high pinion 9" rear axles that I found on Craigslist. The air bulkhead fitting is on the passenger side of the 3rd member and about halfway up the case but below the pinion. It points forward and is parallel to the ground. This puts the bulkhead fitting directly below the exhaust. I know a lot of people run the line down the driver side uniframe rail next to fuel and brake lines. But then going from the driver side uniframe to the passenger side of the 3rd member seems like it will cause issues. I would have to route the air line under the exhaust and over the pinion/driveshaft. Not sure how to keep the air line away from the exhaust and pinion/driveshaft while keeping enough slack for flexing. Thinking maybe a hose tender with a spring? Like what they use on semi trucks.

Still have leafs in the rear so running along a control arm is not an option. Compressor is in the stock airbox location. Seems like running down the passenger uniframe rail would be better at the rear axle. But that creates it own difficulty routing around the engine to the passenger uniframe rail.

I'd start with a 90* right off, I didn't have a 9" but I don't see how the exhaust is anywhere close to the pumpkin. I used braided ss for protection down the driver framerail.

For any heat concerns you could always use a section of thermal sleeving.

Any suggestions for a thermal sleeve?

I have heard of people running the ARB 5/6mm air lines through larger rubber fuel/vacuum line for extra protection. But that probably won't do much for thermal protection

DEI, Thermotec, Heat Sheild Products, or even Mcmaster Carr.

I bought stainless braided line for mine and ran it down the drivers side "frame" rail. There was an extra clip at each location where the brake line was clipped. The braided line fit it perfectly. From the frame to the axle I followed the brake and did a 90 like has been suggested.

Thanks everyone. Installed the air line yesterday and it works great. Tried to run a 90 but couldn't due to one of the ribs on the third member being in the way, preventing me from screwing in a 90 fitting. Anyways just looped the line back on top of the axle housing and secured it to the brake hardline on the axle, over to the drivers side uniframe. When originally imagining running the line, for some dumb reason I was picturing running the air line from the third member directly to the frame rail without securing it to the brake hardline on top of the axle. That little detail made it a simple job.

Tried to run a 90 but couldn't due to one of the ribs on the third member being in the way, preventing me from screwing in a 90 fitting. Anyways just looped the line back on top of the axle housing and secured it to the brake hardline on the axle, over to the drivers side uniframe.

You can still put a 90* on it, you just have start with a straight adapter. It sounds like a easy "snag" right now!

Back