• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Four link rear/URF three link front shakedown pics

Maybe the pics aren't doing it justice, but it looks like a floppy jalopy to me. Bring it down to the bridge in a couple weeks, or Tellico this weekend and let me put an eyeball on it in action. How much oil/pressure did you end up running?

OneTonXJ said:
Maybe the pics aren't doing it justice, but it looks like a floppy jalopy to me. Bring it down to the bridge in a couple weeks, or Tellico this weekend and let me put an eyeball on it in action. How much oil/pressure did you end up running?
Oil is "as came". Running 190lbs.
Can't get out for awhile. Too much work.
It is still somewhat loose but not too bad. Now that I know what I want, I'm playing with the upper mounts. I can raise them about 2" to give me about 10psi more pressure.
Still have to pull the shocks to revalve. Will probably go up in oil level then.

Ready for another BOTW?

That should really finish off the body work!

CRASH said:
Ready for another BOTW?

That should really finish off the body work!
Yup.
Ain't it purrdy.

If chicks really dig body damage, it's time to give Angelina Jolie a call.

Last edited:
I have been seriously considering 4 linking the rear this winter. My few trips out this year have demonstrated a seriously stiff, limited flex rear.

Some questions:
Do you have pics of the rear 4 link mounts?

It does look like the axle is moving forward quite a bit when drooped (flex steer). How does it feel on side hill?

Do you think the air shocks are worth the cost savings over COs?

18" right? I am thinking that 14-16" will be fine for me.

Now that you have driven it a bit on the road, anything you would do differently?

SeanP

SeanP said:
I have been seriously considering 4 linking the rear this winter. My few trips out this year have demonstrated a seriously stiff, limited flex rear.

Some questions:

It does look like the axle is moving forward quite a bit when drooped (flex steer). How does it feel on side hill?

Now that you have driven it a bit on the road, anything you would do differently?

SeanP

Already looking for excuses to not go wheeling next year, huh? :sure: :D :D

FarmerMatt said:
You say that like he's been wheeling this year... Or last year... Or the year before last.... Or..............:laugh3:

You be nice or I'll say something mean about your mutt.

hey, I wheeled twice this year. and other than the major illegality of my rig and no tow rig, it's ready to go now. Ugly, but ready to go :)

Kid4lyf...

Kickass. I like the fact that at first glance your rig is quite the sleeper when sitting still. You could've even gone far enough as to paint everything black to keep it even less obvious. :D

Couple Q's: I was in a hurry and didnt have the time to read the full thread so I'll just ask (in fear of being redundant) some Q's that may have been answered--

The flex steer is inherently there and is noticable in your droop out pics, but it seems as if youve triangulated enough out back to keep it minimal and under control. Is it causing you to have to adjust lines yet or no? Also, the Creepy Crawlers-- I havent seen a set yet up here nor do I know of them being run at all. Whats your honest impression of them? Thanks.

SeanP said:

Some questions:

SeanP
I'll get some pics up soon.
I don't really notice the flex steer because the only time it happens is under, well, flex. I'm only flexed out in rocks, etc, going very slow.
It would be more of an issue if this were a jeepspeed rig where you're flexing the suspension at high speeds.
Airshox vs COs; hmm, jury's still out on this one. First off, I can't really say because I've never had COs on mine and, actually, never driven a COed rig so I can't comment on how they handle.
Sean Rose would be the one to ask about this since he's now running airshox after years of COs.
So far I'm very happy with the crawl performance. I'm walking lines that I used to have to power up if I made them at all. I really like the way it climbs but haven't had a lot of chance to test that out ((I live in NW Indiana(hell))
I'm less happy with the general trail performance. Off camber is a little too loose for my taste. That's what I'm working on right now by playing with shock tuning and geometry. I'm still a little left of that fine line between flex and control
My shox are 2.5" X 16" and it's plenty.
On road handling is surprisingly good now that I put the sway bar back on. Before doing that things were reeeaaallly interesting.
The Bilstein 5150s up front do a lot to reel things in.

kid4lyf said:
Not that I had a choice in the matter.
Going from winning a show-n-shine to candidate for "nastiest rig" (had I made it to Moab) in one year.

You hang out with the wrong crowd. :laugh3:

482461321YDKqvz_ph.jpg

Oooh, that looks scary.

Brad, flex steer isn't so bad when you're crawling, where it will get you is when you're trying to stay on the wall in a V or super tight section of canyon. The rear can steer off the wall, and it's not pretty when a rear tire drops suddenly. In a buggy, they just drive on or back up, but with sheet metal it can get nasty.

SeanP said:

SeanP

You better leave that thing alone for awhile, and make sure your truck is running good. We were tired of your excuses long ago, but now it's getting disgusting. :looser:

It wouldn't be hard to work some on your rear leaves to make them flex better, you can pretty much get as much flex as you can use.......without any rear steer issues. :)

Kid4lyf, thoughts on the creepy crawlers? Would you purchase them again if you could go back?

Goatman said:
In a buggy, they just drive on or back up, but with sheet metal it can get nasty.
Now, you have seen my "sheet metal", right?

Nasty is a pretty good description.

ArcticXJ said:
Kid4lyf, thoughts on the creepy crawlers? Would you purchase them again if you could go back?
Love them. Seem to work in everything.

Back