• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extended Idle Switch???

Has anybody gotten this to work with pre 96 OBD1 equipped XJ's?

I have a 1995 4.0 Automatic and grounded pin #10 and nothing happens....no change in idle RPM when in park or neutral.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I was posting questions in the 97-01 extended idle thread although that is not really the appropriate place for a pre 96 question.

Has anybody gotten this to work with pre 96 OBD1 equipped XJ's?

I have a 1995 4.0 Automatic and grounded pin #10 and nothing happens....no change in idle RPM when in park or neutral.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I was posting questions in the 97-01 extended idle thread although that is not really the appropriate place for a pre 96 question.

Blaine, no I've done a lot of research on this and from what I've found noone has done this "easy" mod on obd 1 xj's. I have an extended idle switch but it was made possible with a cruise unit from a donor jeep. Mine works great and is adjustable to whatever rpm I deem necessary. Unlike this mod which barely raises the idle at all, barely up to 1000 rpm as I recall. But hey, it is an easy mod on obd2 xj's.

Odd, the diagram specifies that pin and so I do not understand why it would not work. It is not like the pin sticking out the computer itself is missing. Oh well it was worth the try. Although you call the 300rpm "blip" small I certainly notice a huge improvement when holding the RPM at 1000 with my foot when all of my accessories fans and HVAC blower are running. I need to find a Grand Cherokee Limited 136amp alternator though to replace my whimpy 90amp unit with. Seems difficult to find though!

Odd, the diagram specifies that pin and so I do not understand why it would not work. It is not like the pin sticking out the computer itself is missing. Oh well it was worth the try. Although you call the 300rpm "blip" small I certainly notice a huge improvement when holding the RPM at 1000 with my foot when all of my accessories fans and HVAC blower are running. I need to find a Grand Cherokee Limited 136amp alternator though to replace my whimpy 90amp unit with. Seems difficult to find though!

They had plenty at my junkyard, it was a nice upgrade but NOT bolt in, just fyi.

How so not bolt in? The ZJ's alternators are shaped the same as XJ's. Same part numbers show up as well.

I think all limiteds with the 5.2 had 136 amp but I also heard of ZJ's having 90 and 120. Cherokee's also came with 90 or 120 from factory.

It looks identical but it's bulkier, and its a tough spot to get in to to grind away for clearance. I tried twice to grind away so that whenever I replace the alt it will just swap straight in but I failed. I ended up removing the "sleeve" on the alternator upper bolt hole, that gave me the clearance for the bolts to line up. Do you have the write up from BC 4X4 for the swap? Pm me if you need it.

I have no problem modifying something in order to benefit from the gain. Did you remove the battery tray as well when you were doing the work? When I swapped my altenator in a parking lot at midnight a few years back I found removing the battery tray made it alot easier to access the alternator.

I do not have that write up you speak of (or at least I do not think so) so if you would like to provide, I'd be interested to take a look at it.

Back