• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extended Idle Switch???

2000XJSPORT said:
Found some info on the switch bezel. Not sure which one is with 4 switch locations, but maybe someone can fingure out the part catalog madness. Hope this helps,
Alex

-27 BEZEL, Switch

#4897502AG w/Rear Foglamp, Rear Defroster,
Rear Wiper/Washer & w/o Front Foglamp.

#4897505AG w/Rear Foglamp, Rear Defroster,
Rear Wiper/Washer & w/Front Foglamp.

#4897502AG w/Rear Wiper, Rear Defroster,
Police Package & w/o Rear
Foglamp & w/o Front Foglamp
1 w/Front Foglamp, Rear Defroster,
Rear Wiper & w/o Rear Foglamp
& w/o Police Package.

#4897503AG w/Rear Defroster, Rear Wiper &
w/o Rear Foglamp, Front
Foglamp & w/o Police Package.
You can use any 4 slot bezel. The only difference is the keyways that allow only a certain switch into a certain slot. All you need to do is file off the plastic 'keyed' tab on the switch and now you can put what you want where you want it. If you take your current switch bezel out you'll see what I mean about the keyway slots and the 'keyed' switches. It takes all of about 10 seconds to take the keyed tab off the switch. :)

db209_2000 said:
...the wiring is already there.

When I installed the fog light kit into mine, there was an extra plug taped back to the harness. It didn't fit the fog light switch or any other switch. I just assumed it was for the extended idle switch. And this is the first time I've seen a 4 switch bezel in person.

Same with me. I have a picture of that extra plug and I would like to know if that is for the extended idle. I might just intall one if it is.
Thanks

Alex.

Picture073.jpg

Thanks I though so. When they installed fog lights they must of just run a new harness and not use the one intalled by the factory. Its a shame I was hopeing I could install the ext idle switch. Anyone think I could use some of the non used fog wires and run a wire to PCM #12. The FSM says BK Ground, GY Idle actuator, DB/WT Fuse ignition switch Output, and OR Fuse panel lamps dimmer switch signal. There all there just diffrent colors and to get the fuse ignition switch output. I could splice from the rear wiper switch output. Crazy right?
Alex

Last edited:
That's the pigtail I used to wire up my ext idle switch. Just cut it off and run your own wiring. (since my Jeep had factory fogs, I got the pigtail from a boneyard Jeep) The keyway on the pigtail is different so you'll need to file off the little plastic tab but after that, it'll snap and lock right into the ext idle switch. :)

JeepZZ
Ok cool. I'm not really good at wiring so could you send me somthing that explains the steps I need to take. I'm guessing I can use the plug from the unused fog one and just run a wire to PCM #12 and then splice a line on to the rear wiper switch output to get Fuse ignition switch Output (RUN).
Any help would be apreciated.
Thanks
Alex
Email:
[email protected]

I just used one of those remote noise/probe circuit tester things (if that's too technical, I'll dumb it down) to find the wire that goes to whatever terminal activates the idle. I cut into the harness (*carefully*) to find the wire back near the firewall, tapped into it, and ran a single wire from that, to the switch, and then to a ground.

Very easy, brings the idle up about 500 rpm, which doesn't seem much, but made a huge difference during the last snow storm.

I had two sets of aux lights, the defroster (on full blast), the rear window defroster, headlights wipers, and radio on, idling as I cleared my driveway.

Before I turned the switch, the volt meter was way down, and the alternator was obviosuly straining. Flip the switch, it went to 14, and everything sped/brightened up.

2000XJSPORT said:
JeepZZ
Ok cool. I'm not really good at wiring so could you send me somthing that explains the steps I need to take. I'm guessing I can use the plug from the unused fog one and just run a wire to PCM #12 and then splice a line on to the rear wiper switch output to get Fuse ignition switch Output (RUN).
Any help would be apreciated.
Thanks
Alex
Email:
[email protected]
All the info I have is already have posted on the other thread including pin outs for the switch & PCM and also a wiring schematic. :)

2000XJSPORT said:
Just wanted to say thanks for the help. I'm really starting to get how this works. I have read over your posts and I get that you need to ground to make the idle work. I just wanted to really know is what did you do with #3 F15 20db/wt fused ignition switch output (RUN) on the plug. Or is not needed to be wired. Also this is what I was planning on doing. If you see the pic of the plug I posted. I plan on using it and cutting the #2 purple and #3 light blue. Then run a grey to PCM#12 to #2. Then if needed I was going to go from #3 and splice to the rear wiper switch V23 18BR/PK fused ignition switch output (RUN). Will this work? I hope what I am saying makes sence because like I said I am not really good with wiring. Thanks again for all your help. Hope to hear from you.
Alex
Got your PM. I'll post back here just in case the info is helpful to others.
If you plug your fog light switch into the open connector you have pictured, you'll notice that the switch will illuminate when the headlights are turned on. I can't remember which wire or which pin this was originally that activated the illumination but since it does work, you already have power and ground. Use a test light to firgure out which of the two or the four wires they are. Mark these wires before you clip the connector loose, now you're halfway there. Now use the pinout diagram for the switch from the other thread to run one other wire from the switch to pin #12 on the PCM. Your switch now already has the 'though' ground from the wires you marked before you clipped the connector. Flip the switch on and your in business; headlight on and it'll light up too.
Now here's where things get tricky (at least for me). I could not make heads or tails of how the activation light in the switch comes on or how it's wired. I'm not very good with wiring schematics but how I read it is: it looks like power would be sent back through the switch 'backfeeding' onto the PCM's #12 ground circuit. Since I don't want to send voltage where only a ground should be (especially in the PCM) I decided to skip wiring up the orange activation light until someone figures it out for sure first.
I have asked how other have their activation light hooked up and I have 2 "no responses" and 3 others have theirs hooked up just like mine WITHOUT the activation light but with the backlit illumination.

All this info should get you up and running; just let me know if you figure out the "system on" orange light. :D

Ok thanks. Its starting to make sence. So I guess you do not wire up the #3 F15 20db/wt fused ignition switch output (RUN) since it was not mentioned. I belive that is what makes the activation light come on. Also last thing. Any tips to putting the wire in the PCM. How do you open it. Thanks again for all your help.
Alex

2000XJSPORT said:
Ok thanks. Its starting to make sence. So I guess you do not wire up the #3 F15 20db/wt fused ignition switch output (RUN) since it was not mentioned. I belive that is what makes the activation light come on. Also last thing. Any tips to putting the wire in the PCM. How do you open it. Thanks again for all your help.
Alex
I'd have to take my panel off to see which wire is not hooked up but I won't be able to identify it by the color of the wires since it may vary upon which pigtail either you or I used. My Jeep came with factory foglights so my foglight wiring colors behind the switch are different than the wiring on my ext idle pigtail (from non-fog light Jeep).
The gray wire #12 is already hooked into your PCM; all 4.0L (97+) with the AW4 trans have it. All you need to do is splice into it. I used a Scotch 'piggyback' splice connector to tap into it.

Thanks,
So I will slowly open up the harness below the plug and find the grey to hook on to. I'm guessing that when you are standing over the PCM. C-1 is all the way to the left, correct?. What guage wire did you use? Also I found out how to wire out the last wire. I believe this will activate the light and all you do is splice into your AC/Heater Control F15 20DB/WT Fused ignition switch output. Since they are the same and come together as one.
Thanks
Alex

pic1.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, C1 is closest to the headlight. Pin 12 is in the middle row closest to the headlight. If you pull the connector off the PCM you'll see that each pin is numbered inside the connector so it'd be really tough to grab the wrong one.
I used the same gauge wire (roughly) that the gray wire on pin #12 is. Remember that this is only a ground wire so an oversized wire is not required.
Here's a quick test I described in the other thread: grab a basic probe test light, start the Jeep and let idle, connect the alligator clip of the probe to ground and then probe through the insulation of gray wire #12 (all you're doing is completing the ground to pin 12) You'll notice an immediate RPM increase.

Let me know what you figure out on the orange activation light once you get everything all wired up. :)

Thanks. I will let you know about the light as soon as I get the parts all together. It will be like 3 weeks till I have a weekend off so once I am done I will let you know. Thanks again.
Alex

Is there any info on how to hook up ext idle for a 97+ 5spd? I have gatherd that there is no wire coming from pcm 12 and am curious what would happen if I just connected a wire to the pin at pcm 12 or if there is another way to add it by maybe using a power steering wire.
any info would help.

Back