• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BleepinJeep's Project Scorpion Crawler Build Thread

Any worr with the ORI mounted on the axle C? Maybe plate of like the kits that are out there for the d30?

No, its basically a C gusset with a hole on the top.

if you look at his mounts, they are basically giant C gussets.

OP, your fab skills are great.

your axle choice still sucks.

I give this thing a month on the trail before its on tons.

:cheers:

Maybe so but I like taking on challenges!

Your front is what I want to do to my front. Tube it out ORI and stubby front bumper. Looks good! I agree on the axle choices though. I ran a 44/9 combo for a year with 36 IROK's and they broke a lot. Now get to work and bring that thing to Harlan in July! :D

i would use a large ID tube or C channel to put a relief in the frame where it contacts the link. with all the tube work i dont see it being an issue.

I thought about it and decided to move the lower links inboard and down a bit to clear so that's all good now. Only issue now is the tire will rub the tube at full stuff but I think it'll be fine other than rubbing the paint off.

So here is where I'm at now:

I pulled the rear axle and added some gussets for the ori brackets before I painted everything:

IMG_6406_zpsgvowhtnl.jpg

I got my seats in the mail and got the front ones mounted up. The rear bench was too narrow so I sold it and ordered a 40" which I'm still waiting on:

IMG_6454_zpsy5c4csvt.jpg

After installing the seats I was able to bend the crossbrace tubes:

IMG_6468_zpsbcf0rpki.jpg

I didnt do a perfect X because it allowed for more leg room in the rear by doing it this way:

IMG_6473_zps0qjqzibe.jpg

IMG_6478_zpsdf6e70tz.jpg

The lower ends of the X run farther in toward the seat back to give more leg room as well while still having plenty of room for the front passengers.

IMG_6481_zpsnae87ukz.jpg

Grown adults will be able to sit in back but it wont be very plush:

IMG_6486_zpsrbhe6mko.jpg

Iv'e been using oil base tractor paint for the underneath and brushing it on. seems to be ok but its a bit too runny to do the entire jeep like this:

IMG_6505_zpshtjgkmbb.jpg

I found a little piece of fender from the junkyard to clean this little bit up:

IMG_6511_zpse7l9hlrc.jpg

Then I had my buddy Brad come over and Tig the whole thing up, his welds make the build look top notch!

IMG_6523_zps6y12cc7f.jpg

IMG_6544_zps35msdjuf.jpg

Alcohol Abuse:

IMG_6536_zpsm4iaqpij.jpg

I started working on the dash:

IMG_6538_zpswxbenevq.jpg

So here is where I'm at now and I need your advise. I have the dash all mocked up but how in the world do I figure the best placement of all the crap I need??

Here is what I think I'll need but I'm sure I'm missing some stuff:

•I'm using the stock gauge cluster
•Heater Control
•I'm using a circular marine radio
•Front LED lights switch
- Dimmer for front LED lights
•Rock Lights switch
•Front locker switch
•Winch on switch
- confirmation light
- In/ Out switch
•Battery Cut Off
•Fuel Pump cut off?
•Speakers?
•CB?

Am I missing anything??

IMG_6585_zpsmjquexlp.jpg

IMG_6587_zpsn9qti5l2.jpg

Any advice on where to mount these things? Any advice on how to mount them so I can easily access them?

Will there be a console? That might affect choices for placement. For instance I would consider mounting the CB (or better yet, Ham radio--get your license, my 11y.o. just did) in the console.

The console might also be a good place for the winch controls. I find that reaching forward to the dash is awkward. Height and worn out joints may be a factor there.

I love your build.

Will there be a console? That might affect choices for placement. For instance I would consider mounting the CB (or better yet, Ham radio--get your license, my 11y.o. just did) in the console.

The console might also be a good place for the winch controls. I find that reaching forward to the dash is awkward. Height and worn out joints may be a factor there.

I love your build.

Thanks, ya I wasn't thinking much about the console but I guess I need to build it before I start cutting holes in the dash!

If you are doing a console I would locate the winch controls and the front locker switch there where they are easy to reach while paying attention to the trail ahead. I have found the space between the shifter and the arm rest to be easily accessed without needing any visual confirmation. That can matter when things get interesting.

I would put the headlight switch in a position as close to stock as possible. That way you can find it more easily in the dark. Alternatively, go sit in your rig in the dark with a Sharpie in your hand. Reach forward for where you want to reach for the headlights. Wherever the Sharpie marks your template that is where to put your headlight switch.

Those would be the functions that matter the most to me. Fit the others in around those in such a fashion that you don't accidentally end up with the wrong function when reaching for something else.

So here is where I'm at now and I need your advise. I have the dash all mocked up but how in the world do I figure the best placement of all the crap I need??

•Heater Control
•Front LED lights switch
•Rock Lights switch
•Front locker switch
•Winch on switch
- confirmation light
- In/ Out switch
•Battery Cut Off
•Fuel Pump cut off?
•Speakers?
•CB?

Am I missing anything??

IMG_6585_zpsmjquexlp.jpg

IMG_6587_zpsn9qti5l2.jpg

Any advice on where to mount these things? Any advice on how to mount them so I can easily access them?

e-fan?

build is looking great

looking good

If you are doing a console I would locate the winch controls and the front locker switch there where they are easy to reach while paying attention to the trail ahead. I have found the space between the shifter and the arm rest to be easily accessed without needing any visual confirmation. That can matter when things get interesting.

I would put the headlight switch in a position as close to stock as possible. That way you can find it more easily in the dark. Alternatively, go sit in your rig in the dark with a Sharpie in your hand. Reach forward for where you want to reach for the headlights. Wherever the Sharpie marks your template that is where to put your headlight switch.

Those would be the functions that matter the most to me. Fit the others in around those in such a fashion that you don't accidentally end up with the wrong function when reaching for something else.

cool, thanks for the insight. I got the sheetmetal for the dash cutout yesterday and I guess I'll build the console before I start fitting an switches. that way I can put all the important stuff close to me.

•Heater Control
•Front LED lights switch
•Rock Lights switch
•Front locker switch
•Winch on switch
- confirmation light
- In/ Out switch
•Battery Cut Off
•Fuel Pump cut off?
•Speakers?
•CB?

Am I missing anything??

IMG_6585_zpsmjquexlp.jpg

IMG_6587_zpsn9qti5l2.jpg

Do you still have AC? One thing I did to clear out a lot of room from behind the dash is pull the GIANT hvac plenum out and put in a hotrod style heater from Jegs or Summit. I didn't like trying to fit the big fugly factory control in and the aftermarket one is super simple. You run heater hoses to it and it has a simple 3 speed dial switch. It doesn't have a hot / cold dial, but If I want heat, I want heat. Just control the fan speed. You can see the heater just barely sticking out to the right of the center console. I did replace the 1970's reject knob they give you that is in this picture with a decent aluminum one.

Headlights was mention in an earlier post. I did 2 toggle switches in the middle. One for running lights, one for head lights. Again, I didn't like the look of the factory knob. I also have a toggle for my interior lights.

I put everything in the middle where I can reach with harnesses on.

• Horn, winch, 12v outlet, heated seats, Bluetooth amp volume and cup holders in the Center console.
  • Switches for all the lights, stereo/CB power override, start button and flip switch, electric fan override, heat.
  • Gauges in the top panel with a new fuse block ( I gutted most of the factory wiring) in the removable panel by the passenger grab bar.

The thing I never considered (and my only gripe with the dash), that is a pain now when I'm working on the jeep, is that I can't reach over the side bars and in far enough to flip the ignition switch! I have to get something to step up on to get a little more reach. It's just out of reach for me @ 5'10. If I were about 6'1 or 6'2 I would be able to reach.

Here's a little better view of the heater.

Last edited:
Do you still have AC?

Cool, thanks for the tips and pics! I dont have A/C but I did keep the heater core and made a burrito cooker out of it. I am also putting holes in the top of the dash to keep the defrost available. And maybe some holes on the front to direct warm air at my face.

Here is a video of that Car-B-Que: https://youtu.be/oBPV4VwBfVg

I keep finding this that I missed in my original list like 9V charger and USB ports that need to be added... good news is the dash is still very empty!

Problem now is the throw for the shifter and 4x4 selector are on different planes so that will make the console more complicated... any ideas there? looks like you have custom cable shifters?

Back