• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AXLE UPDRADE

CRF99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Finally time to upgrade the axles so i want your opinions. Rear = 8.25. Front = D30. The front is only getting gears. Im planning on new axle shafts in the rear, 4.56 gears, and a locker in the rear. For the shafts i was planning on goin with superior as well as the gears. For the locker I think I have my mind set on the Detroit one. I want opinions on this set up. What do you think? Are these good companies for the parts or should I look at others? Also anyone have the same locker and what do you think about it? Im wanting to do diff covers to but I cant really find anything I like. Any suggestions? Thanks!

for the diff covers hit up Ruffstuff, or UndercoverFab.

I have no experience with detroits, I can only say that most people prefer a selectable locker in the rear (ARB or OX).

Superior has a good rep, but shop around there are quite a few reputable companies making shafts these days.

This jeep is my daily driver most of the time. I drive it about 20 miles a day on the highway so i have to keep that in mind. I have heard that some of the lunch box lockers are loud when turning. Is this true? Also i want to make sure Im buyin the best i can get with out having to drop big money one the ARB.

I have a Detroit in my 44, and it unloads on rare occasions, but generally just enough to cause the Jeep to shimmy for a moment and then it straightens back out. Usually moves to the left a couple inches. Other than that, following tight corners, sometimes the former inside rear wheel will spin on acceleration, just a touch, I'm assuming as the differential unbinds or whatever. I have AlloyUSA shafts and have no complaints. They even came dual drilled 5x4.5 and 5x5.5, though that may have been a custom application by the previous owner. I bought the axle already built, saved a good chunk of money. $1000 locked, alloy shafts, geared, and disk brake conversion. I was going to spend more than that on just gearing and locking my 8.25, instead I got a 44 with alloys and disks for free.

I don't think solid makes a cover for the 8.25 so go ruffstuff. Your money on shafts would be better spent on the d30.

Yeah I'm starting to think that for the money and options I should just swap for the D44. I think I'm gonna have a hard time finding a axle.
d44 will be more exspensive to re-gear over an 8.25 you should really think about the 8.25 unless you plan on wheeling with 35's(hard).

I've run a Powertrax no-slip in my 8.25 for around 3 years. No regrets, works great on and offroad. No noise at all in normal driving situations. Every once in a while when I'm offroading, it'll pop or click once when I'm turning, but doesn't affect engagement.

I think the detroit would be marginally stronger and easier to install because it's a full case locker, but I'm not sure that's really necessary unless you are beating the crap out of it on 35+" tires. I wheel mine pretty hard and the no-slip has held up for over 50k miles.

I bought some Yukon shafts for the rear because they were just over $100 a piece. Might as well put in new outer axle bearings and seals (and disc brakes) while you've got the shafts out.

8.25 should be fine up to 35s no problem. I run my 8.25 with 4.88 yukon gears and a no slip.... that locker is absolutely dead silent! I love it and highly reccomend it.

I also plan to run 35s eventually when my 33s wear out. One thing I will say is to forget about the 4.56s and go for 4.88s man. On 33s with a corrected speedo gear I get great MPG, I've gotten 21 mpg loaded down with gear and all but most of the time my jeep is getting around 15-17 sometimes more on average which is damn good for a lifted and heavy xj. I drove a 4.56 geared xj and decided more gear would be better, I love it on the highway and will greatly miss the power I have when I jump to 35s. Really consider going 4.88 man, at least if you decide to go bigger you will still have that gear to move your jeep without killing your trans.

What RPMs are you running on the highway with the 4.88s? I definitely want the best mileage and power I can get. I drive mine everyday to work at about 70 on the highway. But when I see a nice mud hole this XJ likes to exit the road in a hurry! Haha

4.56 will be better on the freeway, lower rpms at speed. The stock shafts are plenty strong for 35's and tough terrain (cant comment on strength for WOT type driving)
put the shafts in the front - much better spent money. I also had a no slip in the 8.25 and it was silent and locked great.

33s and 4.88s equals about 2700 rpm at 70ish in my XJ, and really, you can't tell it's spinning that fast except that you are right in the sweet spot for power...:D

i got the same axles and for the d30 i got nitro chromoly shafts 760x ujoints and a lock-right locker. the 8.25 just got the the nitro 4.56 ring and pinion. i run 33s the drive now is so much better, tomorrow gonna compare the rpms with a stock xj. 35mph is now 30mph on spedo. you said new shafts for in the rear i didnt think they made them because of the c-clip, thats what i heard i thought but correct me if im wrong.

How about a ford 8.8 swap? Thats what I am planning for a soon project. Can get them cheap, easy to find, and can be had with the disk brakes. Some have a Limited slip, but you'd probably lose that in gearing? There is even kits one can buy rather than fabbing stuff to mount to the axle :) Best of luck!

Back