• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aug 9-11 Carolina Beach Trip

Cnickgo

Do you need assistance?
Setting a date of August 9-11th for a beach camping trip at Freeman Park "The North End" at Carolina Beach, NC. This is a trip that Tim and I have done for a couple years now and it's an absolute blast. Drive the Jeeps on the beach, park for the weekend, set up camp, and enjoy the beach as it is meant to be. Sand, sun, water, and oh yeah, sightseeing. Adult beverages are allowed in cans and in a responsible manner. The boys in blue are there and are very good at what they do. PWCs are allowed on the north end of the beach on the inlet and allowed in the surf at the mouth of the inlet.

There are some hotels nearby if camping isn't your thing but want to come for the weekend and want to drive on the beach and hang out for the day. This may be a good option for families with young children as the parties around the beach can go on for quite a long time (Team Techno) and camping is a bit of a strain if its really hot. Some cool family stuff in the area too like Fort Fisher, the USS North Carolina, and an aquarium.

The beach access is $20/day or $50/3 days, or a season pass is $100 (good for the calendar year). Temporary fishing permits are available in town.

Some good things to bring:
-A 4wd vehicle. If not usually someone is willing to pick you up at public parking, just give plenty of heads-up so we can plan ahead. I do not suggest coming on the beach in 2wd. Yes I have done it but no I do not suggest it.
-A good cooler or two and plenty of ice.
-Sunscreen. Plus an extra bottle for Tim the lobster.
-Easy up canopy.
-Tent and sleeping apparatus of your choosing.
-Beach games i.e. bocce ball, cornhole, whatever your preferred do nothing game is.
-Water. Lots of it.
-Firewood. People always like big fires and it attracts good looking neighbors (ok sometimes not so good looking).
-Single women.
The more people that come the more fun stuff we can plan/bring/do.

http://www.carolinabeach.org/site_new/pages/freeman_park.html

Last edited:
Re: Tenative Carolina Beach Trip

I was just around Carolina Beach a couple of days ago for work and stopped in to get my permit for the season...they've got bar codes on them now. I was told they're being very strict about them this year to make sure they're on the correct vehicle. Also, I was told that they've had a hell of a time with people getting stuck at the entrance to Freeman Park. For those who have never been, this is the most difficult part as it's extremely soft sand that never gets wet from the ocean. That being said, I walked down there before I got my permit and noticed several stock Jeeps that had made it, as usual. So the woman who was selling me the permit might have been over dramatizing it a bit.

While scoping this trip out I had an urge to make a change to my normal route.

For some reason instead of taking the Ft. Fisher ferry to Ft. Fischer I want to take the Ferry to Bald Head Island, drive down Federal Road then hit the South Beach. Make the 8 mile trip from Baldhead to Kure via beach, then straight up to Carolina beach and on to Freeman Park.

The only issue I foresee with this is that the Ferry to Bald Head Island is more expensive and the fee I'd have to pay to go out on the beach for a 8 mile long one way ride down the beach. You remember what the fee is to go out on the South End beach? 20 bucks?

Edit:

Ah, I found the reason why it's not doable. The Bald Head Island Ferry is just a passenger boat. 24.95 per adult, 13.95 for kids. I'd have a hard time getting the Jeep on a passenger boat. :/

Oh well.

Last edited:

So just come to Carolina Beach directly and skip all the ferry nonsense?

There's a Marriot hotel in CB.

I'll be there this year-- maybe just me, maybe me and the GF, maybe me and a slew of kiddies....... but any way you slice it, you'll have to deal with me at least!!:gee:

Tenative Carolina Beach Trip

Pretty sure work is going to permanently try to move to asheboro, should they be successful this trip would be sweet.

Pretty sure work is going to permanently try to move to asheboro, should they be successful this trip would be sweet.

You moving or going to be in the state for work?

Really? Why Asheboro? Not a lot going on there. Not too far from where I grew up either...

We have a plant in asheboro, I am down here til end of June. They already tried getting me to move down here once, so a am waiting to see what kind of money they throw at me.

Well count me in. I will try to bring the heep but no promises. Its currently sitting in the garage with both axles torn out of it with no interior or seats. I'll probably have the lady with me. Gives me a reason to work on it now.

OH NO! Ho Bags living only a couple hours away! :dunce: Looking at this in the baby Jeep. About that hotel.... is that close to where you guys will be? :clap:

Glenn, Tim pointed me to a Ritzy establishment 25 minutes from the joint. The one that's in CB is almost 300 bucks a night. I know you're a big spender but I won't be able to stay in that one with you. I'll have to make the trip to Wilmington in the evening. :/

Glenn, Tim pointed me to a Ritzy establishment 25 minutes from the joint. The one that's in CB is almost 300 bucks a night. I know you're a big spender but I won't be able to stay in that one with you. I'll have to make the trip to Wilmington in the evening. :/

Share please bc I just looked that up and it was 239.... aint happening.

Check out Staybridge Suites in Wilmington. Owned by the same company that owns Holiday Inn. When i'm in the area for work that's where I stay and it usually runs about $140-150 a night for a King suite that I believe has a sofa bed as well. It's cheaper than a lot of Holiday Inn's i've stayed at recently.

Plus it's near UNCW, so there are lots of restaurants and shopping if you've got family members with you that want to do that sort of thing.

Share please bc I just looked that up and it was 239.... aint happening.

Check out Staybridge Suites in Wilmington. Owned by the same company that owns Holiday Inn. When i'm in the area for work that's where I stay and it usually runs about $140-150 a night for a King suite that I believe has a sofa bed as well. It's cheaper than a lot of Holiday Inn's i've stayed at recently.

Plus it's near UNCW, so there are lots of restaurants and shopping if you've got family members with you that want to do that sort of thing.

Yeah! Staybridge.

I saw a room for 160.55 last night for all 4 of us.

Yeah! Staybridge.

I saw a room for 160.55 last night for all 4 of us.

Book it sooner and i'm sure it'll be a little cheaper.

Here's what the room looks like:

hotelroom.jpg

OH NO! Ho Bags living only a couple hours away! :dunce: Looking at this in the baby Jeep. About that hotel.... is that close to where you guys will be? :clap:

Yea, you might actually get some cage work / traction bar.

Back