• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Annual Jeep Picnic 8/5/23 at Fiesta Island, San Diego!

Carol.92124

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Jeep Picnic Saturday August 5th, Mission Bay (San Diego)
The SoCalXJ group has a picnic every year down on Fiesta Island in San Diego, and it's been a merged event with NAXJA for years.

I am NOT going down at 6am to try to hold a stretch of sand for everyone this year (like I usually do) unless someone else volunteers to be there as well. But I'll get there fairly early. There's a lot of flat hardpacked sand area to park on. But try to get there "earlyish" as it's a popular spot for groups to gather

Saturday August 5th, anytime b/w 6am & 10pm :::

West shore of Fiesta Island, where the "shortcut" comes across from the east side... roughly "1500 Fiesta Island Rd, San Diego 92109", coordinates 32.78025 -117.222500 aka 32*46'48.9"N 117*32'21.0"W

Bring your rig if you want, or whatever gets you there!!

Bring your own food & beverages; if you're so inclined, bring something to share. Bring firewood if you plan to be there past dark.

No glass or alcohol allowed on the beach per SDPD rules, but people do get creative sometimes. Just don't get visibly stupid

Bring chairs, shade, water toys, beach toys, firewood, well behaved dogs (Fiesta Island is an OFFLEASH beach, though there's also a dog park just south of where we hang out).

You can launch watercraft from the sand on Fiesta Island

Be courteous--give space to those wanting to wear masks. I don't tend to wear one at the beach when there's room around me. But I'm happy to put one on to talk to those who do, and I'm back to hugging those who are comfortable doing so. There's plenty of space to spread out and should be room to sit around and socialize.

Mark your calendars now, it's always a good time!!

If you get lost or can't find us for some reason, I can be reached at six19 six 5 4 nine 7 five 8.

Also for those new to Fiesta Island or who have forgotten, the perimeter road is pretty flat and is great for biking, walking, running, skating/blading, etc...

Should I bring low temperature firewood since it's August? I think I have some that produces a nice flame with very little BTU output. Yeah, I'll bring that.

Is it still legal to burn wood in Kali?

Mebbe if you disguise it as pot?

Is it still legal to burn wood in Kali?

Mebbe if you disguise it as pot?

You still can with some conditions. You have to apply for approval permits from the EPA, the Coastal Commission, Parks and Rec department, and the City. Usually takes about 6 months for approval.

In addition, you have to submit a fire suppression plan to the local fire agency. The plan must contain safety measures to keep guests at least 15' away from the fire. Things like a fire resistant fence will suffice. Fire extinguishers placed no less that 5' apart on the perimeter of your fire fence. Fire suppression plan must be submitted in writing to all agencies involved, as well. The flames of your fire must not exceed 24" in height at any time. In order to enforce this provision, you are required to hire a fire monitor, at your own expense, to supervise the fire. A minimum of 2 fire monitors is required. If the flames go over 24", you will be required to extinguish the flames, wait 30 minutes, then start a new fire. All the regulations can be found at www.kommiefornianannystatefireringregs.ca.gov

All your applicable fees must be paid in full at the time of the application process. Usually around $2500.00.

And finally, you must hire an approved waste remediation company to clean up and properly dispose of all the toxic debris left behind by the fire. That carries an additional charge for the remediation company, and also a $5000.00 deposit to the City of San Diego to make sure they cleaned it up to EPA standards. The waste will be tested and any burning of unapproved wood or materials found will cause you to forfeit your deposit, and you will be sentenced to prison.

Other than that, yes, you can enjoy a beach fire any day of the week here in beautiful Kommiefornia!

Sweet!

They haven't yet gotten around to regulating the smoke.

LOL!

You mean those don't come on the firewood?

ETA: Come to think of it, that would be an appropriate task for the Kali Legistlature--mandating that all new trees must grow with Prop 65 warning labels on the bottoms of the leaves.

lol, some folks still mask. Doesn't have anything to do with me cutting and pasting!

You mean those don't come on the firewood?

ETA: Come to think of it, that would be an appropriate task for the Kali Legistlature--mandating that all new trees must grow with Prop 65 warning labels on the bottoms of the leaves.

I haven't bought any Walnut lately; It should definitely have a prop 65 on it. Maybe it should be on the sandpeper. :roll:

Beach sand should also have a warning on it!

This is still going on this coming Saturday, folks! Hope to see you there!

Back