• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any experienced lifters willing to help lift 2" in Raleigh?

They all ride like shit.

Ride, I don't mind. DRIVE on the other hand... the thing feels seriously unsafe. I've driven shop trucks that couldn't pass inspection that felt 10x safer than my heep. I actually think it is one of the scariest things I've ever driven, and I have nerves of steel.

I know it's not going to out handle a track car, but dayum, at least drive like a truck! No way in hell they all drive like this or they wouldn't have made them for 17 years.... right?

Without seeing what shape the rest of the front end (tie rod ends, ball joints...etc) is in, it's hard to say what could be causing the wacky driving. You'd be surprised what a good alignment does to the handling, but in order to get a good alignment you need to have good front end parts.

All things we'll run through Saturday :D

J Pugh is about the only option... Mine wouldn't really give a fair representation of how a close to stock XJ should ride.

Well, if it's there I'd still like a ride. If nothing else, it could be an exercise in what I DON'T want for my DD. :D Along these lines, if I can make the Uwharrie trip, I'd really like to just take my XJ to the site, and bum a ride with someone with a more capable rig, just to see what Uwharrie is all about before getting suckered into burying my DD in 4' of mud.

Plan for my XJ is to go to 31s, prolly BFG ATs, etc., and cut and fold the fenders, relocate the flares for commuting/ light off-roading. We're expecting, and I bought this as a local kid hauler, commuter. I've always liked the styling and feel that the capability is quite high for a stocker.

Without seeing what shape the rest of the front end (tie rod ends, ball joints...etc) is in, it's hard to say what could be causing the wacky driving. You'd be surprised what a good alignment does to the handling, but in order to get a good alignment you need to have good front end parts.

All things we'll run through Saturday :D

I know right?... I posted a thread on one of those 'other' forums about how scary my junk was. Followed some advice on there, shaking the wheel at 12-6 and 9-3, couldn't feel/hear, or see any play, and I was shaking it hard enough to wiggle the entire Jeep.

I'm prepared to replace every bushing in the front if necessary. And NO doubt the alignment is out of wack. I'm actually holding off replacing my steering stabilizer shock because I don't want to put a new one on and mask the problems with the suspension/steering. I'd like to get it right, then replace that last.

If the crap on the front is tight and we can do a rough alignment on it Saturday, hopefully the RC shocks will settle it down enough to be safe.

I did hear some clunking while driving to the car wash this morning (note: sounded like right front), so I'm hoping that we'll find the culprit during the Saturday shakedown!!! Bring your doctor bag, lol.

Leaving work at 5:30 tomorrow, which puts me in the area around 8:30-9 tomorrow night. We'll be going out for a few beverages to BS and talk Jeeps at a place yet to be determined, anyone in the area is welcome to join. PM me to exchange numbers for when the exact details are worked out.

Argh, I have to work tonight... but I'll PM my number anyway. I'm about to go hit those bolts with PB Blaster again.

What time we kicking off tomorrow? It's about a 15 minute drive normal, which means it'll take me about 45 in the Jeep at a safe speed, hahaaaa...

Ride, I don't mind. DRIVE on the other hand... the thing feels seriously unsafe. I've driven shop trucks that couldn't pass inspection that felt 10x safer than my heep. I actually think it is one of the scariest things I've ever driven, and I have nerves of steel.

I know it's not going to out handle a track car, but dayum, at least drive like a truck! No way in hell they all drive like this or they wouldn't have made them for 17 years.... right?

I got one you can drive! Hell Nick had to help me steer one day at URE! LMAO! Good times!

Argh, I have to work tonight... but I'll PM my number anyway. I'm about to go hit those bolts with PB Blaster again.

What time we kicking off tomorrow? It's about a 15 minute drive normal, which means it'll take me about 45 in the Jeep at a safe speed, hahaaaa...

Got the PM and fired one back to you. Not sure just yet what time we're kicking off, I would imagine relatively early in the morning.

I got one you can drive! Hell Nick had to help me steer one day at URE! LMAO! Good times!

Oh yeah... It's a miracle we still have all our fingers. Those tires are like a woman... Doesn't matter how much you fight it, still going their way in the end.

Oh yeah... It's a miracle we still have all our fingers. Those tires are like a woman... Doesn't matter how much you fight it, still going their way in the end.

:thumbup:

New Signature for me! thanks nick!

I'm just going to throw this out there for anyone working on my Heep tomorrow that wonders what my motivation is for 30" tires.

mg7098uy3.jpg

And

IMG_5126.jpg

But after seeing them in the Pick N Pull... I'm leaning towards trim+relocate flare + 31s...

Then I saw the article on JP about fitting 33s on 2" and that got the gears turning...
Must... remember... family... hauler...

I'm just going to throw this out there for anyone working on my Heep tomorrow that wonders what my motivation is for 30" tires.

mg7098uy3.jpg

And

IMG_5126.jpg

But after seeing them in the Pick N Pull... I'm leaning towards trim+relocate flare + 31s...

Then I saw the article on JP about fitting 33s on 2" and that got the gears turning...
Must... remember... family... hauler...

33's can haul the family just fine! ;)

You need to see of Cottontail can get you some pics of his ride. He runs a 3.5" lift and 31" tires and has a blast.

Don't listen to Ghost. 33s is a whole different animal. 31s are just about perfect for you and anyone that isn't dedicated toy almost to trailer queen. That comes from the man with 62s :)

You need to see of Cottontail can get you some pics of his ride. He runs a 3.5" lift and 31" tires and has a blast.

If he's seen Tim's, he's pretty much seen mine. But since you suggested Ed, here are a few. ****But I have inchitis and am only extended brake lines and drop brackets away from 5-5.5".

101_1578.jpg

Oh, hold it. That wasn't right! Try these.

101_1300.jpg

101_1601.jpg

All you people who drive off road are just destroying our beautiful planet!

This is why I keep mine strictly pavement.

Back