• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any experienced lifters willing to help lift 2" in Raleigh?

J308

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I'm 38, just bought my first Jeep, a '94 XJ sport, and I'm setting it up as an all-weather commuter/ family hauler. I have lurked NAXJA for many months before getting my XJ and have subscribed to a few threads of interest. This crowd definitely knows its stuff.

This sucks as an intro, but maybe throughout the process I can make a few Jeep friends, and pass on my help to someone later on that needs local help. Still... let me apologize for intro'ing and immediately asking for help.

I want to throw a 2" lift on my XJ and have never messed with leafs. I have swapped the shocks on an XJ which was easy, but I hear the leafs are a bear and my driveway is steep.

Anyone experienced want to help me install 2" OME springs and a 2" OME full leaf pack? And possibly help me install my ZJ Tie Rod upgrade I picked up?

Plans for this project are Bilsteins F&R, 2" front springs, 2" full leafs and ZJ Tie Rod. I want experienced lifters, for the things I don't know about, such as brake line travel, bump stops, etc.

If I don't get any responses, I'mma tackle it alone!

Thanks in advance!

--Jay

2" you will be fine in the rear. Front should be fine unless you really want to replace the front lines with SS. Can stretch/relocate the front as well.

When are you planning to do the lift? We can do it on my pad at work on a weekend. I have the tools, we can rebuild him!

Welcome and GL!

Oh man that would be awesome, thanks!

I ordered the OME stuff from Amazon, and the Bilsteins from another place, both should be here early next week. I need to put this bad boy into DD service soon, so I would love to do it between then and next weekend, whenever you are available.

When ordering my parts, I noticed quadratech said the leaf bushings, u-bolts were not included. Do you have any recommendations for where I should source those, as well as bumpstop sources/recos?

I'm looking SO FORWARD to having help with this and getting it done. I'm hoping it'll be a great-riding DD project.

P.S. Big shoutout to lowrange2, who recommended I post this here to see if anyone would be willing to help!

Catch it on a weekend when i'm in the area, and you'll have some more help on the lift too!

For your brake lines, you'll be just fine at 2". I ran 3" on stock lines and had no problems. When I went up to 3.5+ is when I upgraded to stainless steel lines. On the flip side, you can get some for around $50-60 that are more than long enough. Since you DD this Jeep, I highly recommend upgrading to SS lines. I run them (and will continue to) on everything I own.

Edit: Do your self a favor, start soaking the leaf springs bolts with PB Blaster once a day about 3-5 days before you plan to do the lift. They're tight, and get very rusty....especially on a 94!

Soak any bolt that will be coming off IMHO.

For your brake lines, you'll be just fine at 2". I ran 3" on stock lines and had no problems. When I went up to 3.5+ is when I upgraded to stainless steel lines. On the flip side, you can get some for around $50-60 that are more than long enough. Since you DD this Jeep, I highly recommend upgrading to SS lines. I run them (and will continue to) on everything I own.

Agree with Timbo here. I am also at 3 1/2 with stock brake lines. If you want more and don't want to spend money on new, the YJ front and rears are 3" longer than the XJ lines.

Cool guys, thanks for the advice. I already planned to hit the bolts with PB blaster daily from now until lift time and have a fresh can ready.

RE: the brake lines... This will be a DD/camping rig, so I shouldn't need them from an articulation standpoint. However, I am planning on ZJ rear discs in the next month or so, so maybe I'll just wait until then for the stainless lines unless there is no reason to wait.

I gotta tell you, the responses I've gotten on this thread compared to the other forums I've visited have me thinking of becoming a member. I'm impressed. Thanks for the welcome!

I'm all about membership, but we are going to have the annual March Membership drive next month and each new member/renewal will be in a drawing for some pretty good prizes, as well as some incentives for the chapters that see the most new/reups! You may want to consider waiting 3 weeks.

You will find this is a very helpful group and very knowledgeable. If you get south near me feel free to let me know.

Less to worry about, yes. But once you start lifting, there's no stopping!

welcome to NAXJA.
Thanks.

I was running stock brake lines with about 5 inches of lift, although i did have problems lol. But I did this and then made this so the info was more available to everyone else. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1068000

Oh and welcome to the wonderful world of jeeps! You'll love it, I kinda miss the days when mine only had 2 inches of lift. There is tons less to worry about.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. Anytime I buy a used vehicle I check the suspension, and in most cases, plan to replace. Most owners neglect this, BIG time, and I'd bet that my XJ is on the original shocks for sure.

Less to worry about, yes. But once you start lifting, there's no stopping!
Haha, I understand the mod bug well, but with our expanding family, the budget is well in-check. Also, I bought this as a project DD, to replace my old OBDII beater with a constant CEL (fun around inspection time), so I'm going to keep it mild, at least for the forseeable future. 2" springs, bilsteins, and 30s or mayyyybe 31s on my stock steelie 5 spokes sport wheels.

You will find this is a very helpful group and very knowledgeable. If you get south near me feel free to let me know.
Will do, and yeah, I'm already seeing some great activity... :cheers:

I'm all about membership, but we are going to have the annual March Membership drive next month and each new member/renewal will be in a drawing for some pretty good prizes, as well as some incentives for the chapters that see the most new/reups! You may want to consider waiting 3 weeks.
Gotcha. March it is! Meeting a few Jeep peeps and getting some help on my lift should make the membership a slam dunk.

I guess I'll have to think of something more interesting than the generic username I created to start some thread subscriptions.

31's on stock wheels looks great. I ran that set up for a long time and loved it. It's still got that mildly stock, yet slightly modified look!

theres a guy on here selling some 31's older style bfg mt's .. great deal.. if you re looking for 31s..

theres a guy on here selling some 31's older style bfg mt's .. great deal.. if you re looking for 31s..

Thanks, but he is 9.5hrs away from me, don't think I'll be wanting them. heh.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but my leaf pack doesn't come with u-bolts or bushings according to qtech site. I'm sure I'll need new bushings... and from what I'm hearing, the u-bolts are probably going to be rusted and shot. Looks like u-bolts are something like $18, each? Sheesh. That's like $90 shipped, for U-BOLTS!
:bawl:

Can anyone recommend a brand/source for these? Will I need anything else, shackle parts or anything?

Back