• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

About ME - MWC BOD candidate

macgyvr

NAXJA Member #120
NAXJA Member
***Please note this thread was originally started in 2011 and has been bumped every time I've run for MWC BOD office, please go to the end for the newest posts***

I guess I will be the first to post this...

My name is Matt 'macgyvr' Rowland. I have been nominated and will be running for the position of Midwest Director BoD member-at-large.

I am 33 years old and was married for the first time at the Badlands as part of a special event at Winterfest this past March. My wife Grace and I have four dogs. I have been employed by the City of Fort Wayne for over 9 years. I also work 15 to 20 hours a week of part time for 2nd largest school corporation in Indiana.

I have been a NAXJA member since May of 2000. I purchased my original popcan 1995 Jeep cherokee almost 12 years ago to the day. I still have it...well, what's left of it. I have since purchased a 1996 Jeep Cherokee, refered to as the Baby Jeep, I've had it around 4 or 5 years now.

I like to get out and wheel 10 to 12 times a year. I have been to the Redbird Trail Clean up for the MWC twice. I have been to every Winterfest that has been held in Attica...since the first one.

I currently am getting ready to start my second term on the National BOD for NAXJA. I also served a term back in 2001 on the National BOD.

You can serve both the National BOD and the Chapter BOD. I think its beneficial to have someone that's on both. It makes the lines of communication a lot better cause now there's two folks (chapter president is also allowed in the BOD forum) that can make sure that the local chapter is getting all the extras that the national has offered.

I feel like this club is the best XJ/MJ club out there and have given a lot at the national level and feel compelled to give of my time at the local chapter level. I've helped in planning the last several Winterfest events.

If you don't know me, you can always find me at Winterfest. If I don't know you, don't fret, I'm not good with names...better with rigs, and I've tried the last couple of years to try to learn names.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns please feel free to ask.

mac 'Large member' gyvr

Re: About ME - Midwest Director candidate

Macgyvr has my wiener's approval.

seriously.

I promise to be there as long as the president and with in the last 10 people, if not the last one...

mac 'traditions to uphold' gyvr

I think that a second smaller event with no frills just wheelin would be great for this group. Location? I like Rocks and Valleys in MI. Redbird has the trail clean up, but we could expand that into something? There is Dirty turtle off road park. Lots of options. Lots of places to go. We could start small and build from there. I'd say it would be good to go with the group on where and when. Can't please everyone, but we could try.

I'm planning on being at the Badlands for every TREC race again next year so anyone that would like to do a pickup run to go wheelin one of those weekends I try to wheel Friday if I can get down there that early and Saturday morning til early afternoon.

I like to wheel 10 to 12 weekends a year. I'm also going to try to make the Crawl work this year due to the 4th being in the middle of the week...

mac 'as long as diesel doesn't get anymore expensive' gyvr

I like r&v cuz its close. But it'd be a kool idea to alternate location, there are a fair amount of parks in mi and other states to. I know I wanna try and keep the august r&v trip going.

Mac, what things can we (the chapter and BOD) do to increase member participation? I went into a greater detail in Aaron's thread, but I want to get to the gist of it. Events like Redbird clean-up, for example, are very important. How can we raise awareness of their importance and get new members to attend?

I think with the last turn out from Redbird we are doing something right already. That was very impressive to me. I went to one of the first clean ups a few years ago and there were a lot more this time, and a ton of people that stayed over night. I know Rev was happy about that. If we can continue to get more folks out to Red Bird its great. There was even a giveaway that wasn't advertised, things like this will get people out.

I think that the non-official, non-wheelin events are good too. If it gets people out and involved then that's good for the club and the chapter. I can't always make those because more of what I do is wheelin. I have made a brewfest. If any of them work into my schedule I would do my best to make them...that's always been my goal.

Winterfest has grown every year, I think that over 60 people voting in the main election for MWC recorder is impressive as well. When you look at the totals in the National election the MWC is a commanding force.

The National BOD also has presented opportunity in the past to the chapters to financially support membership growth and enhancement. The chapter took advantage of this and I think there maybe more opportunities for this in the future. The chapter could also use $$ in the bank to do things to increase members. I was hoping for a treasury statement for the members but haven't seen this. If elected I'll make sure the treasurer is putting out a financial statement for the members.

We are doing good things. Are you seeing an area where there isn't enough membership participation?

mac 'midwest loves rusty xjs' gyvr

Are you seeing an area where there isn't enough membership participation?

mac 'midwest loves rusty xjs' gyvr

My biggest "point of failure :link2:" if you will, was Redbird. I know that the last clean up was really a good turnout. And that's what I've been hoping for for the 2 years prior to that when I was able to attend easier. Rev had said in the clean-up threads that he would like to see new faces. You'll always have the core group of 6 or so guys that make every run, but getting more members to pop in and out would be nice. Not to be a dick about it, but personally, I'd like to see our members do more than pay $35 and show up to WF.

In defense of redbird clean up, it is, like wf was, an up and coming 'event'. Participation will increase.

Fore 'there was only a handful at wf before' Wheeler.

Regarding what Josh brought up about participation, I'd like to attend more NAXJA outings besides winterfest. Other than this last summer, I usually hit the badlands 2 or 3 times besides WF. T4T, whatever.

I'd like to go to other midwest events but due to $'s and the distance of driving my pile it isn't feasable.

I have retired big red to being a trailer queen for the most part so maybe I can hit redbird or some of the other southern playgrounds. That is my goal.

But it's got to work out in the budget or I don't get to go and my finances have taken a real asswhoopin' this past year as I know it has for others too.

I think that a second smaller event with no frills just wheelin would be great for this group. Location? I like Rocks and Valleys in MI. Redbird has the trail clean up, but we could expand that into something? There is Dirty turtle off road park. Lots of options. Lots of places to go. We could start small and build from there. I'd say it would be good to go with the group on where and when. Can't please everyone, but we could try.

I'm planning on being at the Badlands for every TREC race again next year so anyone that would like to do a pickup run to go wheelin one of those weekends I try to wheel Friday if I can get down there that early and Saturday morning til early afternoon.

I like to wheel 10 to 12 weekends a year. I'm also going to try to make the Crawl work this year due to the 4th being in the middle of the week...

mac 'as long as diesel doesn't get anymore expensive' gyvr

I can provide the camping if we do a Ditry turtle run as long as people respect our property.

My biggest "point of failure :link2:" if you will, was Redbird. I know that the last clean up was really a good turnout. And that's what I've been hoping for for the 2 years prior to that when I was able to attend easier. Rev had said in the clean-up threads that he would like to see new faces. You'll always have the core group of 6 or so guys that make every run, but getting more members to pop in and out would be nice. Not to be a dick about it, but personally, I'd like to see our members do more than pay $35 and show up to WF.

Well I would say that Redbird was a sucess this year. We can try to make things as easy as we can and pick the best date possible to allow folks to make the runs.

I have no problem allowing runs to be set up and if we can make work another event. Just remember we have quizzed all the recent candiates about a 2nd event and we still don't have one (even last year...maybe the year before). That's not an insult to anyone, it just hasn't worked out yet. Once the 1st of the year comes around (maybe after winterfest)start putting some thoughts together and I'm sure that the BOD (whether I'm on it or not) will discuss.

If we make the opportunity and do everything that we can for folks and they still only want to come to Winterfest and pay their membership fee, then I can't stop them. If they want to support with membership, but not show up at all, we can't make them participate. There are folks that pay their dues, they are rarely ever online, and you only see them at Winterfest. If that's what works for them, then I'm not going to make them do anything. I can't be mad at them. They want to support the club, they want to pick what they would like to participate in. I'd rather see what we can do for the forum users that aren't paid members and see why their names are in black...

In the end, Its about doing what we can for those that want to have another event, do clean up, come to Winterfest, eat bacon with cheese and drink after a good day on the trail.

mac 'that got kind of deep' gyvr

Well I would say that Redbird was a sucess this year. We can try to make things as easy as we can and pick the best date possible to allow folks to make the runs.

I have no problem allowing runs to be set up and if we can make work another event. Just remember we have quizzed all the recent candiates about a 2nd event and we still don't have one (even last year...maybe the year before). That's not an insult to anyone, it just hasn't worked out yet. Once the 1st of the year comes around (maybe after winterfest)start putting some thoughts together and I'm sure that the BOD (whether I'm on it or not) will discuss.

If we make the opportunity and do everything that we can for folks and they still only want to come to Winterfest and pay their membership fee, then I can't stop them. If they want to support with membership, but not show up at all, we can't make them participate. There are folks that pay their dues, they are rarely ever online, and you only see them at Winterfest. If that's what works for them, then I'm not going to make them do anything. I can't be mad at them. They want to support the club, they want to pick what they would like to participate in. I'd rather see what we can do for the forum users that aren't paid members and see why their names are in black...

In the end, Its about doing what we can for those that want to have another event, do clean up, come to Winterfest, eat bacon with cheese and drink after a good day on the trail.

mac 'that got kind of deep' gyvr

i believe the MWC has better participation in every aspect than any of the other chapters. We've had better turn out rates at a gravel pit in indiana than they've had in MOAB.

Bring this back up.

I'm running again for the MWC Member-at-Large.

I like to bring up my past threads on the issue to show that I'm committed to this club and making this chapter the best one out there.

Its only been a year, and I'd like to seek a full term.

We've done a lot in the past year and had a great time doing it.

I'm 34 now and have a 3 week old baby. I'm still working for the city and working a part time job. Both allow me time to get caught up on NAXJA when I can't at home (I'm home right now). I'm also online with tapatalk on my cell and find myself checking in here many times a day.

I still own the original Jeep. I am looking at possibly selling it or trading it, but I'm not getting out of the game. In fact, with the trailer I bought right before Winterfest this past year, I'm more in the game than ever. We are buying separate things for the baby to keep in the trailer so that we can bring her along with us. She will be making a WF2013 appearance as well.

Speaking of WF2013. One of the biggest achievements that I think I have helped with in the past year is bringing about free camping for members. Myself and Wheeler helped put it together and we also sought some assistance from the National BOD. I feel like that it was organized very well. We only had a few hiccups and if elected I will again push for it to happen in 2013.

This chapter is about the members. The members make this chapter happen. I'm honored to have represented you as the MWC member-at-large and look forward to serving you in the future.

As always, if you have an questions, comments or concerns please let me know.

mac 'getting better with names' gyvr

Back