• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 xj nightmare please help

i see your point wilcharl. but how would that cause the arking like it is. and the new iggy switch was working just fine before the ground wire started smokeing like mad. would a bad ground (the one from the block to the fire wall) cause the ignition to not work. and all the arking?

what i was thinking is the arking may have come from the engine swithc being in the wrong position (on) when you were hooking it up there is enough load with athe fuel pum and everyhting else to cause a nice spark show.... im trying to cover everything here...

i pulled the ignition switch and tested it. it is fine. but now the jeep dosnt start. nothing. i figured i would just hook the batt up. ignore the arking as long as nothing started to fry when i hooked it up. and now nothing works i put the key in and turn it. and nothing at all . no buzzing no guages no anything at all. if it isnt one thing its the next. PLEASE HELP

ok not to sound like a dumbass but is it possible that there could be a blown fuse or fusible link? i had this problem with a chevy, and started replacing all kinds of stuff the to find out i had a bad fuse. Not familiar with renix but this sort of makes sense to me. otherwise sounds like a short somewhere. also check you battery volts should be about 13.0 volts or so. with all of the wires screwed up it's possible it drained you battery, does your dome light work or you headlights? or are the very dimm? my lods would arc when you hooked up the grnd after disconnecting it because it had a light under the hood first time i freaked out the i realized it was cause of a stupid light that i didn't realize even worked. doesn't jeep put a light under the hood? it's probably not your grnd wire. but check anyway. I've learned from being dirt poor and not being able to go to a mechanic that it's usually the simplest things that are overlooked.

just a thought :)

Last edited:
Thanks $100 cherokee. i never even thought of that. there are alot of fusable links comming off the starter relay. its nice to have an outsiders perspective on things sometimes. after spending so long on one project. ya tend to overlook the obvious. thanks a million i will start checking 1st thing in the morning

good luck! just relax and work the problem slow. let me know whats up we'll go from there. to me an engine is an engine no matter what you have the all work basically the same.

ok does anyone have a diagram for the fuse panel under the dash on a 90 4.0 xj limited. and anyone know what the 6 fuesable links are that come off the starter relay?

When i get home from work tonight i will ID what the six fusie links go to.... i htink it is something really simple.. now the arking i had the same exact arking when my starter relay grounded out to the frame (i had an accidnet) the arking was so bad it fried the ground strap from the firewall to the engine block... so that apparnetly is the smoke release point.... im thinking one of those fuse links or something may be ever slightly touching the metal case of the new relay or the frame of the vehicle causing it to ground otu... try reinstalling the starter relay and making 100% sure nothing is touching

ok one more time just to be sure , because i cant imagine leaving an empty plug somewhere. one the coil and ignition control modulal. directly below the coil wire and above the black plug that goes into the ICM there is a spot for a plug just 1 wire. its a single post. can someone who has a 90 4.0 xj or comparable take a look at theirs. and see if they have that slot and if it's empty or if there is something in there. its right in the middle. directly under the coil wire and above the black plug on the ICM. any imput would be helpful. i have the feeling the stealership messed that up to. becuae the had the fuel pump wire from the starter relay pluged in there. thats why the pump kept running and running. so i know that post is hot.

The ICM should have two plugs plugged into it. Looking down at the coil, on the right there is a weatherpack connector with three wires and on the left there is a weatherpack connector with one wire, but two plugs. This is on a 90 manual tranny.

Is that what you are referring to?

Fred

well your on the right track fred. if you look right above those two plugs maybe an inch or so up. there is a slot with a hole next to it. a tiny little slot. just big enough for one wire. thats what i am refering to. the stealership pluged my fuel pump wire from the starter relay into that slot. but now that i have fixed that problem that slot is empty and i couldnt imagine that they would design it like that. plus i know that slot is hot and has power comming from it.

amongst my search for shorts and stealership screw ups i also found under the dash. a white wire with black tracer just hanging there. i see it the same wire that plugs into the fuse panel with a plug and it has a fuse on the harness it comes out of. does anybody have any idea where that wire is supposed to plug into. i know one end is into the fuse panle to the spot labled IGN. which i am sure is ignition.explaining the dead ignition problem.

P.S. i would like to take this moment to thank all of you who have helped me on this project. you are all amazing people. and some of the most friendly people i know. and you have all been a great help to me. so heres my shout out to you.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH YOU GUY'S ARE GREAT

the small place you're talking aboutright below the coil tower there is a small rectangle opening O < coil tower
[] < opening ( Nothing is hooked to this. )
badge714

ok so i am soooooooooooooooooooooooooo fricken confused. again i pulled everything off the starter relay. and pluged it back in again. and................. no more acrking the fuel pump worked just like it was supposed to the buzzer shut off the head lights worked the ground didnt smoke everything seemed fine. but when i went to turn the ignition to the start posisition. NOTHING ... it didnt click or anything. i turned it to start the oil pressure guage whent up maxed out then went down. suggestions anyone. we are sooooooooooo close to having this problem licked. i think it might be that white wire. soooo close to having this problem licked. the anticipation is overwhelming. i think i might cry when my baby comes alive. ahahahahahah.ahah... thanks so much you guys just this one last problem.......

yes sir i got that its the same as the one in the chilton. which more often than not come to find out has been wrong. the only white w/ black wire it shows goes to the speed sensor. which has been checked for all its connections and been traced back to their points of origin. they are all correct. i have the feeling this wire came out of a plug somewhere it only has three inches of play in it. and not theres alot within that reach. so i am still hunting i think that the factory wireing diagram might show it but the only person i know with that is a guy that goes by the name of wilcharl....

we are 90% there i now know exactly what post your talkinga bout on the coil and nothing goes there... dont worry ... i think its for a ground wire or something else nothing on the xj though that coil fits many cars... so we have everything but crank... and no arking which tells me one of htose wires was grounding out... now its a simple thing... imma grab my manaul we got power to everything but the starter its self... which.... is the green wire comming off the starter relay... but you got two... one in and one out your gonna have to hit it with a meter and find which one goes from the starter relay to the starter... idealy... just for shits and giglges if u disconnect that wire from the relay have the engine in the on postiontionw here your gauges lite up and put power from the batt to that wire the car should crank over...

WILCHARL YOR A GENIOUS. PROBLEM SOLVED. WHEN I TOOK IT TO THE STEALERSHIP THEY PINCHED THE GREEN WIRE THAT COMES FROM THE RED IGNITION WIRE IN T WASHERS . JUST A LIL BI TBUT ENOUGH. WHEN THEY MESSED UP ALL THE OTHER WIRES ( FUEL PUMP, SOLENOID, IGNITION AND SUCH) IT GOT THE WASHER HOT ENOUGH TO MELT. YOU CAN FIGURE OUT THE REST FROM THERE. WE WENT DOWN GOT NEW HARNESS TOOK 4 GUY'S 2 HOURS TO FIX IT ALL. PUT IT ON THE HOIST THREW THE NEW 35'S ON AND WENT AND GAVE HER A FRESH COAT. (SLIGHTLY RESEMBELING MUD) POOR THING HAS MUD IN PLACES I DONT THINK IT NEW IT HAD. COVEREC ALL BUT THE WIPER MARKS ON THE WINDSHEILD. RAN LIKE A CHARM. 4x4 WORK GREAT. SHOWED UP A BRONCO AND A K-5 BLAZER. COVERED THEM IN THE ROOST FROM H-E- DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS THEY BOTH WERE TALKING THEIR CRAP BEFORE WE STARTED RUNNING THE TRAIL. NEEDLESS TO SAY I HAD TO PULL THEM BOTH OUT. (AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA) THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP AND SUPPORT. I DONT KNOW WHAT I WOULD HAVE DONE WITHOUT YOU GUY'S. I HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL IN UTAH THIS YEAR.THANKS AGAIN

IT RUNS !! i can sleep now.. HEy now that you got it runnign you gotta do some of the upgrades on it to get the engine up to 2005 standards for relaiblity and performance!!1

Back