• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88' XJ LT1 Conversion and more

After cleaning up the metal with 120 grit and removing all dirt and debris with an air gun and a degreaser it seems to be sticking just fine. I masked off the rest of the engine compartment because it's going to be yellow like the rest of the Jeep.

picture.php

Finally started painting, primed it first after days of sanding using 120 grit and a lot of elbow grease.

picture.php

Then I started applying the bed liner which is tinted Malibu yellow.

picture.php

Well I finished painting with the bed liner and threw the hood on just to see the full look with the color. I ordered a new front emblem off of a 2009 wrangler which came out nice.

picture.php

picture.php

I began working on the old Bushwacker fender flares trying to reduce costs rather than buying new ones. The old ones were white washed from the sun. I spoke to the guys at the paint shop who suggested I sand them, spray them with an adhesive promoter and then paint them with the same trim paint I had been using for all the trim on the Jeep. I did what they said and they came out nice. I also had trouble finding the original rubber trim to purchase separately that sandwiched between the fender and the body. So I went up to my local parts store and found door trim which worked pretty nice. (Sorry the picture is blurred). I have also since replaced all the door and window seals, put in new power mirrors and new door handles. I took apart all of the door latches and refurbished them.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Dropped the engine in today but noticed the transmission was pointed towards the passenger side rather than straight down the tunnel. I realized that even with adjusting the mounts it was still off. I wound up fabricating my own mount plate using the old one as a template. The motor was of 3/4" towards the passenger side so I just made the plays keeping that in mind. It now sits straight but I'm disappointed in the Novak motor mounts being they should have mounted it straight in the first place. I guess that's why is called custom work.

picture.php

These are the stock plates
picture.php

This is the custom plate I made for the driver side mount to correct the angle.
picture.php

The whole drivetrain itself is shifted 3/4" to the passenger side in a stock XJ (although straight down the tunnel, not at an angle).

Paint looks great, nice work!

Yeah its still shifted towards the passenger side but the engine is straight in the bay now. Doing this also allows me to use the stock headers because I am cutting off the upper control arm mounts anyways. I am building a Dana 44 for the front out of a 79 Bronco which will utilize long arm. Painting with bed liner was a pain but I think it was worth it. Thank You.

Started working on that old 79 Bronco Dana 44 front end.

picture.php

I stripped it down with my angle grinder and wire wheel and then painted it to match the Jeep.

picture.php

Got a closer look at the ring and pinion and noticed they were original with a stamp date of 6/7/78. Going to change these out for 4.56 gears.

picture.php

Still working on the knuckles but you can see the difference just a wire wheel will do. I sprayed them with etching primer first before painting which is the same thing I did with the diff cover.

picture.php

picture.php

not the best picture do the clutter in my shop but I finished the knuckles. I also replaced the spindle to knuckle studs

picture.php

Nice project you have going here. I'll be watching this one as I would love to do a V8 swap myself. Keeping it "legal" here in California is the fun part.

Yes I agree. I have two guys, including myself, working on the wiring to keep it Cal legal. Once I get it figured out I will make a list of the wires and where they go.

XJ LT1 Radiator

I was researching the radiator on the conversion and found that a radiator out of a 97 Corvette appears to be the right dimensions to fit in the Jeep Cherokee. I'm sure there's a span of years of Corvettes that will probably work this is just one year that I found which fit within the frame of the Cherokee and therefore I would not need to order a custom one

Nice work. You really like that yellow! Man, throw some hammered finish paint in there, in like a gunmetal gray or another accent color. All black & yellow is gonna look like a giant bumblebee haha

XJ LT1 Radiator

I was researching the radiator on the conversion and found that a radiator out of a 97 Corvette appears to be the right dimensions to fit in the Jeep Cherokee. I'm sure there's a span of years of Corvettes that will probably work this is just one year that I found which fit within the frame of the Cherokee and therefore I would not need to order a custom one

Will a 3 row Cherokee radiator work? With 3 10" fans across the back?

Back