• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

24 Hours of Lemons in an XJ Dec 4-5

After the first day of racing we're in first place in our class, Class C (the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly...we're Ugly). We have 121 laps in, and a 13 lap lead on 2nd place. We're 40th overall out of 160+ cars. People out there are surprised by our 2wd SUV, racing against Mazda's, BMW's, Porche's and just about anything else you can think of. We have my buggy out there as a pit car, and it's fun talking about our two extreme XJ's. Fun times!

Love it!

We WON!!!

509.jpg

1st in class, and 32nd out of 173 total entries. Not bad for a solid axle, leaf sprung, automatic, $200, bone stock 202k mile grocery getter. I'll be posting more and more photos and eventually our in-car video on our TeamPettyCash Facebook page (TeamPettyCash...all one word), so 'friend' us and check in.

-TPC

Last edited:
Congrats! Awesome job, someone can drive, because how well does it really handle? Auto held up, impressive.

Were there a lot of BMW E30's? seems to be a real fast Lemons car.

Congrats.

How many miles did you cover and how much fuel did you use?

Did you run a rear sway bar?

Average speed?

WhooHooo!

We did 260+ laps, laps are close to 3 miles, so that's just under 800 miles. Looks like we averaged around 58 mph for the entire race which includes pit stops and yellow flags. The ability to stay out on the track with minimal pitting for repairs was definitely a plus for us. We had the slowest fast lap time of anyone who placed around us. Our fast lap average speed was 79 mph, 2 min 27.14 sec. We used about 90 gal of fuel, which is roughly 8.5 MPG.

We had crankcase ventilation problems and blew out a lot of oil, ended up rigging up a catch can for the breather tube. Near the end of the race one of the tranny cooler lines started to leak and the oil was dripping down in front of the drivers front tire causing handling problems, so we had to deal with that. The car almost didn't finish the race due to low trans fluid, but we already had enough laps to win our class so we kept the car out there to increase our overall position rather than try to fix the leak. We rigged up a way to keep the trans oil from getting on the tire and sent Matt back out on the course.

It was a pretty fun weekend.

Just a quick teaser until Goatman posts up a more comprehensive report on the week's activities. Here he and I are, him getting strapped in for his stint on day two:

DSC_7597.jpg

I think he's checking himself out in the mirror in this picture...not really sure:

DSC_7497.jpg

VP2_2613.jpg

The pay-off, complete with an actual lemon picked from Richard's back yard:

030.jpg

-----Matt-----

The brakes are one of the best things on the car. They will lock up anytime you want and don't fade. Running a 26" tire helps. I noticed our stock brakes were noticeably bigger than the Crown Vic pitting next to us, and we weigh less.

The AW4 is pretty durable, and a trans cooler has been added.

Back