• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

24 Hours of Lemons- CO

Starboard M

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
After seeing the sucess others have had with the XJ and endurance racing, I feel the need to add another hobby to the long list.
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1050546&highlight=hours+lemons

It appears that they are coming to CO July 9-10 at the High Plains Raceway. I think the CO Chapter should enter a car:clap:
http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/

Anyone else interested? Who wants to donate $100 for a lot of fun and entertainment?

I dont have a place to work on a Jeep, or tools, and I lack any sort of driving ability, but I do sort of know how to work on Cherokees. Anyone be willing to let us work on another worthless POS at your house?

fireLt and I got semi-serious about entering this race with a running 2wd XJ I have at the lot....... It was gonna be a Cop/Firefighter team. He and another Firefighter buddy, me and another Cop buddy...... we were gonna be team "Guns and Hoses"...... :D The XJ was gonna be black and white on one half, fire engine red on the other......

But the initial expenses were just too steep.

Ya gotta have a 4-man driving team, each pays $100, then $500 to enter the car. $900 just to get entered.......

Each driver has to pay for a LeMons racing membership too - $50 each.

Each team member has to have a helmet, fire suit and approved foot wear..... $$$

Ya gotta by tires, wheels, brakes and other items to make it somewhat reliable, safety belts and then the cage....... which has to be built to certain specifications and welded correctly. Without cage building experience/welder/bender...... that would get expensive....

The car and it's build cannot total more than $500...... and the determination is TOTALLY up to the event staff's decision. They make the decision if your car and it's build was done for no more than $500. If they feel you had to have spent more - regardless of receipts - they toss you out. Luckilly, tires/wheels, cage, and safety equipment aren't included in that $500 total.....

If your car looks like a SERIOUS contender, you might earn enough votes from the other racers to have your car declared ineligible BEFORE you ever get to race it. Entered race teams are all given the oportunity to submit one car to the event staff to be considered for removal. If enough teams submit your car on their ballot...... you're out.

You can't just build a car, put together a team and hit the track.

Would be a lotta fun though........ :D

Last edited:
yella made it sound kinda complicated.....
mabe we should all just go buy a race xj. (junker)
and then we can meet up in a field somewhere and have ourselves a 24 hours of naxja la heep.

Someone go talk to Ram Offroad and see if they'd let us do something where we bring stock XJ's and run our own pre-planned course for time.......

Set it up where the XJ's are to remain stock except for nothing larger than 31" tires, welded rear diff and trimming.

Remove all glass, and build a A to B pillar 4-point cage at a minimum......

Participants then go out and look over the area out there and mark a course. Make it a timed run.

Best time wins?

I'd be ALL OVER THAT. :thumbup:

Someone go talk to Ram Offroad and see if they'd let us do something where we bring stock XJ's and run our own pre-planned course for time.......

Set it up where the XJ's are to remain stock except for nothing larger than 31" tires, welded rear diff and trimming.

Remove all glass, and build a A to B pillar 4-point cage at a minimum......

Participants then go out and look over the area out there and mark a course. Make it a timed run.

Best time wins?

I'd be ALL OVER THAT. :thumbup:

NOW THAT sounds like fun. I'm going to paint mine orange 01 on the side and a rebel flag on the roof.

fireLt and I got semi-serious about entering this race with a running 2wd XJ I have at the lot....... It was gonna be a Cop/Firefighter team. He and another Firefighter buddy, me and another Cop buddy...... we were gonna be team "Guns and Hoses"...... :D The XJ was gonna be black and white on one half, fire engine red on the other......

But the initial expenses were just too steep.

Ya gotta have a 4-man driving team, each pays $100, then $500 to enter the car. $900 just to get entered.......

Each driver has to pay for a LeMons racing membership too - $50 each.

Each team member has to have a helmet, fire suit and approved foot wear..... $$$

Ya gotta by tires, wheels, brakes and other items to make it somewhat reliable, safety belts and then the cage....... which has to be built to certain specifications and welded correctly. Without cage building experience/welder/bender...... that would get expensive....

The car and it's build cannot total more than $500...... and the determination is TOTALLY up to the event staff's decision. They make the decision if your car and it's build was done for no more than $500. If they feel you had to have spent more - regardless of receipts - they toss you out. Luckilly, tires/wheels, cage, and safety equipment aren't included in that $500 total.....

If your car looks like a SERIOUS contender, you might earn enough votes from the other racers to have your car declared ineligible BEFORE you ever get to race it. Entered race teams are all given the oportunity to submit one car to the event staff to be considered for removal. If enough teams submit your car on their ballot...... you're out.

Would be a lotta fun though........ :D

In one fell swoop Yella crushed my dreams. :tear:

I didnt see the fire suit and shoe requirement until after I posted. I also didnt realize it was so expensive, with even just a $500 limit. Once I win the Lotto Ill do it.

In one fell swoop Yella crushed my dreams. :tear:

Sorry brutha....... I kinda felt the same way after looking into doing this. I just don't know that it's worth throwing that kind of money on a junker just to drive fast around the track. If I knew I'd do it several times, the suit investment would be worth it, but I had a hard time justifying the expenses for a one-time thing......

C.O.R.E. could be a good venue as well... albeit a bit farther than Ram for some... They already have a couple race courses setup

What Yella posted is inaccurate in many points, but plan on spending at least $2500 for your first outing (including fees, rig build, seat, belts, tires, etc)...then everybody has to buy their own safety gear which can be as little as $475, but can go up from there. (http://store.24hoursoflemons.com/dirt-cheap-complete-helmet-race-suit-kit)

All that being said, it's a LOT of fun!

And, Petty Cash Racing will be competing at the Colorado event, so make sure to come out and support us in July. We'll even have t-shirts to sell! Hope to see you guys there. In the meantime, follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/teampettycash

Videos here:

www.youtube.com/teampettycash

What Yella posted is mostly inaccurate .......

Well care to tell us what was inaccurate? What I posted was taken directly from the organizations website or from a phone call to the organization ........ :dunno:

The car and it's build cannot total more than $500...... and the determination is TOTALLY up to the event staff's decision. They make the decision if your car and it's build was done for no more than $500. If they feel you had to have spent more - regardless of receipts - they toss you out.

Virturually all of this is either completely erronious or totally overstated. I'm literally getting on an airplane as I'm typing this, but I can go into more detail when I get to Hawaii. :)

(P.S. My next race will be my fourth LeMons event, so I do know what I'm talking.)

Virturually all of this is either completely erronious or totally overstated. I'm literally getting on an airplane as I'm typing this, but I can go into more detail when I get to Hawaii. :)

(P.S. My next race will be my fourth LeMons event, so I do know what I'm talking.)

I have no question that you know what you're talking about...... you've got the proof... :D

I'm just asking for clarification. I don't wanna put out bunk info....... but I can only go from what's posted on the LeMons website and the person I spoke to......

Sweet, I have driven auto cross/kart racing. If the team needs a wheelman im happy to contribute money to the cause as well. I have helmet/suit/gloves ready to rage. haha

If u aint first ur last!

Last edited:
But the initial expenses were just too steep. Correct

Ya gotta have a 4-man driving team, each pays $100, then $500 to enter the car. $900 just to get entered....Correct

Each driver has to pay for a LeMons racing membership too - $50 each.Correct

Each team member has to have a helmet, fire suit and approved foot wear..... $$$Correct

Ya gotta by tires, wheels, brakes and other items to make it somewhat reliable, safety belts and then the cage....... which has to be built to certain specifications and welded correctly. Without cage building experience/welder/bender...... that would get expensive....Correct, but I got a couple guys together and we built our cage. $200 in DOM...in an XJ the cage is super simple to build.

The car and it's build cannot total more than $500...... and the determination is TOTALLY up to the event staff's decision. They make the decision if your car and it's build was done for no more than $500. If they feel you had to have spent more - regardless of receipts - they toss you out. False...nobody has ever been "tossed out" in the history of the race. They assign "BS Penalty Laps" to make sure people don't cheat. They never even give my Jeep a second glance, just laugh and say "move along". What they're looking for is ex-race cars with one fender painted a different color, but $8,000 in suspension upgrades.

Luckilly, tires/wheels, cage, and safety equipment aren't included in that $500 total....Correct

If your car looks like a SERIOUS contender, you might earn enough votes from the other racers to have your car declared ineligible BEFORE you ever get to race it. Entered race teams are all given the oportunity to submit one car to the event staff to be considered for removal. If enough teams submit your car on their ballot...... you're out.False. Nobody has EVER been "removed" before they get to race. There is however a "People's Curse" penalty which is determined by other teams. Basically, the guy being the biggest dick, hitting other cars, causing wrecks, not letting faster cars pass, etc, are grounds for being voted for. It doesn't hurt if you've got a really fast car either, but that is NOT what it's based on. Further, this happens on Sunday at noon-ish, after a full day and a half of racing. Also, if not enough people vote for the same person (some specific percentage), nobody gets "cursed," and in fact in the three races I've competed in, nobody has. It should also be noted that you are the unlucky guy who gets cursed, you're not simply removed...you're given 30 minutes to remove as much safety gear as you can then they crush your car with an excevator. It's good fun.

Would be a lotta fun though........ :DCorrect
I figure it costs me about $2500 per weekend, after the car is built, which will cost you between $1500 and $4000 depending on the quality of components/how much you try to cheat. My XJ was on the low end of that spectrum, but stuff adds up fast. Still, it's a shit ton of fun and not really all that hard to do.

VP2_1068.jpg

VP2_2613.jpg

VP3_0536.jpg

All worth while....

DSC_7889.jpg

509.jpg

-Matt

Virturually all of this is either completely erronious or totally overstated.

LOL @ Matt....... you sure know how to build up the pre-hijack drama and suspense......... :laugh:

I count 7 "correct" and 2 "false"......... Where's the "virtually all of this" in that equasion??? :D

Shaddup and enjoy Hawaii ya goob........ :laugh3:

LOL @ Matt....... you sure know how to build up the pre-hijack drama and suspense......... :laugh:

I count 7 "correct" and 2 "false"......... Where's the "virtually all of this" in that equasion??? :D

Shaddup and enjoy Hawaii ya goob........ :laugh3:
Hahaha, if I'd just quietly disagreed with you nobody would have paid attention to me. :)

I just didn't want you dissuading these guys from giving it a whirl...more cars for me to pass. :D

You going to come out and watch us race when we're in Denver (July 9-10)?

-M

Back