• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep XJ on Laguna Seca Raceway-

IXNAYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
LUKY1498_zpsrspp4k8v.jpg

Last weekend I took the Petty Cash Racing road race XJ to Laguna Seca to compete in two 7 hour races. This wasn't a 24 Hours of LeMons event as we've raced in the past, rather a more serious series for "real" race cars. We were pretty out gunned by a bunch of the car there, but we put up a helluva fight, finishing 4th overall out of 40 cars both days. It was our first time at Laguna and a lot of the other teams we were competing with were locals, so home team advantage to them. We were only half a lap out of 3rd on Sunday, the second race and had some bad luck with a restart. The moral of the story is we should have podiumed at least, but hey, that's racing.

LUKY0821_zpszfwovnax.jpg

The "LSxJ," as it's come to be known, really likes the on-camber, slightly banked corners of Laguna; with stick axles and primitive suspension, the added grip due to Gs pushing the tires into the tarmac is huge. As usual, we were on 255/40R17 Falken Azenis RT615Ks that worked amazingly well all weekend, and still have enough life left for one more race. Pretty phenomenal considering how hard we were pushing. Another huge advantage we had was in brakes; we contacted Black Magic Brakes early on in the Jeep's career (2011) and have been running their 16" brake kit ever since. It cannot be stated just how amazing the kit is and with the combination of the proprietary pad compound we had the best brakes on the track. If you've got bigger/heavier wheels and tires on your Jeep, you really should be addressing brakes too. It's an often overlooked area, but an very important one.

LUKY4583_zps0xhu4thq.jpg

One of the best parts about road racing a Jeep Cherokee is the initial impressions of fellow racers; when we unload our trailer we've got all of our race gear, spare parts, fuel jugs, spare tires, etc all stuffed in the back. We call it the "Self-Contained Racing Unit." A lot of guys in the paddock will sneer and look down their noses at the now worse for wear '87 XJ. After a day of racing, the lines of people who want to know just "what the hell have you done" to make it go so fast is extremely satisfying. It's also fun interacting with current and previous Cherokee owners. We hear a lot of stories about an XJ being somebody's first vehicle and how great it was, passed down from parent to siblings over the years. Almost everybody has great affection, just like all of here do.

LUKY3276_zpsgbbeawns.jpg

That's all well and good you say, but what's it really like? Go for a ride, click here!

And here's the last few laps of the race, which were the fastest of the day. Like I said, we were still learning the track when the checkered flag flew

Hope you enjoyed sharing in our continuing adventure, follow us on our Facebook page for the latest info about what we're up to. Thanks NAXJA for being an early supporter of the team and providing priceless technical knowhow. Cheers!

-Matt
Petty Cash Racing

P.S. How about some more pics?

LUKY4472_zpsoj3ibaxp.jpg

LUKY2729_zpsc7x51jau.jpg

LUKY2961_zps9nbdlns7.jpg

LUKY1105_zpshexumjzx.jpg

LUKY2372_zpstszjv108.jpg

I really didn't want to open this thread because I thought it would be technojeep or something. I'm really glad I did.

Congrats on your finish. You were blowing by those cars.

That is awesome.

I love the paradigm shift on the part of the rest of the world.

How fun is that corkscrew? No, really, my only experience is on the GranTurismo video game. Great job with everything you've done.

It's been clocked at 140 at the end of one of the longer straights that we run at. If there was a road long enough it would probably do 160+. We're limited to 5th gear, we don't have the power or aero to overcome the OD in 6th gear.

Damn, I bet that's a fun ride.

Back