• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 XJ project

Rear is done~ just need replace the diff fluid and torque everything down.

Next is the TC case swap. FUN!

upload_1000009F33C071_2012.11.25%252C00%253A43%253A55%252C505_5CC01763

I like your attention to detail and level of documentation. When it’s all said and done, you will be happy that you took the time to do it right. This is an enjoyable thread to watch. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

Thanks, I've enjoyed documenting it. It also makes it easier to refer back to what all has been done.

Next I will work on getting the front axle centered and my steering wheel straightened out. Shocks and Wheels will be here next month. I'm also pulled the plastic trim, and I need to work on removing the adhesive strip that was left behind.

Axle is now centered to within a 1/4"
Steering wheel is almost straight, but I need to set the toe also so I will mess with that more later.
Front Shocks are installed.
Brakes are bled out all the way around.

I still need to
set front end toe
torque down the front CA's
install rear shocks
install rear diff cover
fill diff's with fluid
grease steering linkage
swap TC
replace DS U-joints

Have a few days off of work this next week, so I plan to get the transfer case swapped out, that will probably take me better part of a day. Unless I can get a volunteer to give me a hand :wantyou: TC swap will also include tear down of both TC's to swap the input gear from stock to new TC, or move SYE over to stock TC ( will decide once I get the stock TC pulled)

I have a stock front DS, just need to get the U-Joints and straps.

I also need a set of split ring pliers. ( HF ?? )

Hmmmmm, maybe I should take my Jeep to Englewood, CO. ;)

Rear shocks are mounted and torqued.
Rear diff cover installed and sealed, 1 broken bolt... will deal with that today!
Torqued everything down on its own weight last night. LCA, UCA's, rear spring bolts, and u bolts.
cut the u bolt's excess down
topped off front diff oil
assembled quick disco's just need to mount up and adjust length.

Drove around the block last night, and the front left spring keeps popping like its moving a bit... I figure this will settle in after a few miles.

upload_1000009F33C071_2012.12.23%2C15%3A12%3A40%2C455_CE1DDCC7

I'm guessing y'all are getting tired of this thread... not much action lately.

I am almost done. Just got to drill out and retap a broken cross memeber bolt, slap the TC back in and get the driveshafts bolted back up. ( easy enough .... right? )

Ordered the Duratrac's 31x10.50's and wheels today, will probably have them installed this weekend. I will post pics!

Thanks to all who have given, advise, moral support, criticism or otherwise. :NAXJA: RULES!

Done! TC case with SYE installed, front drive shaft installed in rear.

Tires and wheels are ready, I just need to go get them installed which will have to wait until Sat.

But it drives like a lifted Jeep, handles better than before, still have the front left spring shifting around making some noise. I may try drooping the axle down and trying to shift that spring around 90 degrees to see if it will make a difference. All in everything is what I expected. I took it for about a 25 mile highway test drive and everything seems ok.

upload_1000009F33C071_2012.12.29%252C23%253A14%253A09%252C65_C53414B1

upload_1000009F33C071_2012.12.29%252C23%253A14%253A32%252C255_09B6943A

IMG_20121229_220701

Now I have had the Jeep lifted and driven it for about 1500 miles, I can say that I am very very happy with it the Rubicon Super Flex and the Crown Steering setup. I have not wheeled it much, but I have been on some old back roads and have had to break track in the snow a few times. It will go anywhere I point it. I love this Jeep, but now I need to start dealing with the little things.

I've got to decide what to do with the full size spare
Roof Mount / Roof Rack or a Rear Tire carrier?

The AC / Heater system won't change off the window vents, I cannot get it to flow on the floor vents at all... it gets mighty cold down there. I think this might be a vacuum issue.. but I do not know where to start.

Need to replace rewire the stereo speakers and head unit, the front speakers do not work about half the time. I will probably go with a IPod only unit.

Also I may do some aftermarket flares, but I need to do some research on cost vs benefit. :)

Rear disc brake conversion... maybe this summer.

Electric Fan conversion ? farther down the list

New front Seats... maybe some new used seats for the right price.

High Lift Jack, probably need to move this up the list higher.

Thoughts?
upload_1000009F33C071_2013.03.25%2C18%3A31%3A24%2C813_1DED67DD

upload_1000009F33C071_2013.03.25%2C18%3A33%3A52%2C266_49668989

I'm not a big fan of my rear tire carrier, so I'm considering putting the tire on the roof and turn my tire carrier into a gas can carrier. In my opinion, the tire carrier seems to be too much weight for the rear bumper and puts a lot of weight on the rear of the jeep.

Back