• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1993 Cherokee (XJ) Country: Build by ArmyDad

Observation: after playing on the beach and dunes at Pismo a couple of weeks ago with Derek and Camilo, I found that my "newly done" alignment was off. Tires were not wearing but steering wheel was about 15* to starboard. Only thing I can think is the steering box/frame got tweaked somewhat during all the fun.

Already had it in my head to reinforce the frame later for crawling but have decided to make that a more immediate priority. I have a set of inner and outer reinforcements on the way from C-Rok and will get those installed before resetting the alignment. Then, we'll see how that changes things.

Also, running the new tires at 29psi does not give full footprint on the street so trying now at 26psi to see how that works.
=====

Made an important modification over the weekend ...

ArmyDad.jpg

=====

Thought I'd do a quick update on the progress on the XJ.

Most recent modifications and repairs included a new alternator and battery which made a most inconvenient exit while at Pismo Beach. Again, a big THANK YOU to Derek and Kyle from the JeepForum for running Ronie and I around to get parts then helping with R&R in the campground. A special "shout out" to JeepCherokeeBoy99 (aka PismoXJ99) from NAXJA who happened to be working that night and got us started on the right track then came by later to check on progress before heading home.

After running the dunes a bit for a couple of days, I found the steering wheel a bit off center again. Afraid this might have been more than just a need for a realignment, I purchased the C-Rok inner and outer steering box reinforcement plates. Between those and the Warrior Products steering box brace I do not think I'll be worrying about that area again.

Also in my pile of pieces is the Go-fer-it for flipping the driver side tie rod and a v8WJ pitman arm. That will get the tie rod on top of the driver side knuckle for clearance and the pitman arm is about a 1" drop from stock. With the v8WJ, the "bump steer" is said to be minimal to nonexistent so I'll let you know how it works out for me.

After that, I'm going to replace the remainder of the "block off" screws on my running gear and install grease zirks … then spend the remainder of the afternoon greasing them all. GEEZ, there are a bunch!

Well, that ought to keep me out of trouble for a few days anyway. I do have some plans for getting the spare tire inside while still having room for all the trail gear. Between that and taking care of the floor rust discovered a few weeks ago and the headliner that now touches my head, my summer is about set for Cherokee related doings … short the trails and camping of course.

The higher dollar updates and modifications I want to get accomplished (re-gearing, rock rails and frame stiffening) will need to wait until my budget catches up.

Looking good! I want to see it with the new tires and such.
Now that the weather is better, I'll clean up the rig and post some more pics. In a couple of months, hopefully the painting will take place ... probably at the same time the floorboards get coated as the prep is all the same.
=====

It's been a long time since I've updated my build thread which isn't really an issue as I've been playing and not building. After a run this last weekend, it became VERY apparent the mods that have been done so far need to have the final details completed to bring it all together.

If you can see well enough, in the pic below you can just see there is about a 1" gap between the fender flare and the fender … it's kind of in the shadow. You can see the dent, etc where the tire jammed into the lower part of the front fender buckling it. No major damage. Just need to take out inner fender stuff and "pop" back out. Then … commence with more fender trimming!

IMG_0341.jpg

After the front fender trimming, I've got the following items on my list in some rough order of getting them done with time and money allowing:

1 - Trim rear fenders.
2 - C-Rok frame kit (steering box) and Warrior Products steering brace (already got them)
3 - install skids (factory stuff, but better than nothing at this point)
4 - 1" drop Pitman arm (already got it)
5 - driver side tie rod flip w/ go-fer-it (already got it)
6 - extend E-brake cables
7 - external CB antenna
8 - rocker guards
9 - winch (good one!)
10 - roof rack
11 - weld on frame stiffeners and brace the CADB

And in the midst of all this there is re-gearing, doing SOMETHING with the headliner over driver's head (PITA) and fix the rust spot under the front passengers feet.
=====

Back