• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1993 Cherokee (XJ) Country: Build by ArmyDad

Looks good! How'd it drive compared to stock?

Haven't driven it any further than out of the garage and back up the driveway. The track bar has not yet been relocated nor have brake lines and e-brake. But hopefully after tonight, I can tell you.

Then, I'll need to deal with cutting the output shaft of the TC so the SYE can be installed.

Most everything is in place and ready for final FINAL measure, tweak, adjust and relocate. So here is the plan for today …

1 - Ronie, my wife, went out and helped me get the measurements necessary to center the front axle (thanks, GoJeep). Without going into all the math … and trust me, I can go on and on about numbers … the track bar needs to be relocated 15/16" toward the driver's side to center the axle.

2 - Then we GO ON A DRIVE! Realizing I've not yet done the SYE, speeds will be kept down but we just GOTTA take it out and see how it all feels. Of course, the parking lot "poser shots" will get done at the same time. Those will be uploaded later today.

3 - While out and about, I'll pick up the strapping necessary to relocate the front and rear brake lines. Will get some pics of the fab and install process (Ronie will do camera … clean hands) then post those as well.

I think I will take a couple of days off before starting on the SYE. All that grinding and all. Plus, got a garage to clean up and parts to sell/swap.

Until later today, take care all.

Coming along nicely there mate. Take care to do all the fine tuning to make it right.

Most everything is in place and ready for final FINAL measure, tweak, adjust and relocate. So here is the plan for today …

1 - Ronie, my wife, went out and helped me get the measurements necessary to center the front axle (thanks, GoJeep). Without going into all the math … and trust me, I can go on and on about numbers … the track bar needs to be relocated 15/16" toward the driver's side to center the axle.

2 - Then we GO ON A DRIVE! Realizing I've not yet done the SYE, speeds will be kept down but we just GOTTA take it out and see how it all feels. Of course, the parking lot "poser shots" will get done at the same time. Those will be uploaded later today.

3 - While out and about, I'll pick up the strapping necessary to relocate the front and rear brake lines. Will get some pics of the fab and install process (Ronie will do camera … clean hands) then post those as well.

I think I will take a couple of days off before starting on the SYE. All that grinding and all. Plus, got a garage to clean up and parts to sell/swap.

Until later today, take care all.

Well...? I wanna know how it drove compared to stock! :)

lowrange2: Yesterday didn't quite work out the way I planned. Got the track bar relocated then pulled out of the garage for a quick drive ... NO WAY!! Pinion angle was set up for the new SYE/DS set up and was binding and squeaking.

So back into the garage to do the SYE and then ... the power went off. Ah, well, it is time for margaritas somewhere so I build some. After a couple of them the power came back on and, as wisdom comes with age, I opted NOT to work with power tools under a vehicle. Today, back at it and using the cutting wheel and a hacksaw, the SYE and DS are now installed.

How does it drive ... BETTER than with the worn out OEM springs and suspension!! As I have not yet put the sway bar back on there was a little lean but not as much as stock without the swaybar. I am REALLY happy with the way it turned out. All that research and question asking paid off.

Made a pass or 2 around the block to make sure all was good, then out onto the boulevard and, finally, out to the freeway. Probably 20 miles in all and I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. My wife, Ronie, even commented on how smooth and stable it felt from her seat. Trust me, she is not one to sugar-coat so if I was looking through rose-colored glasses, she'd have said something.

I do have some pics I'll put up later after the Super Bowl but wanted to answer your question.

So, in all, RE spring packs, RE coil springs and drop brackets with sway bars make for an awesome ride.

I've already got my big crawler but I didn't consider ride quality when I built it as I know it wouldn't be on the road. I'm certainly planning a lifted DD. Not more than 3 inches and 31s but I'm like you... I want to use what I KNOW works for a nice ride.

Now, that you have it all lifted and driveable you need to install some tow points. I LOVE the looks of Detours stuff on a DD.

http://detoursusa.com/

lowrange2: The 4-1/2" front coil springs and drop kit are Rough Country ... I also added a 2nd OEM/stock spring isolator to get up to 5" overall. RC's spring rate was only 10# higher than the stock coils so that is why I went with them.

The rear are 4-1/2" Rubicon Express. I'd used RE on my YJ years ago and they ALWAYS wind up with more lift than advertised ... this time it appears is no exception. I'll wait 500 miles or so for things to settle before measuring the actual lift. The shocks, front and rear are RC 8000 series.

Also, 6* shims seemed to do the trick up to 72MPH with the Iron Rock Off-road SYE/DS combo (indicated 60MPH allowing 20% for size differential of tires).

First pic ... using the method outlined by GoJeep, I centered the front axle by moving the track bar 15/16th" toward the driver's side. I'm not concerned for the back side as there is reinforcement but will need to weld a heavy washer to the front before any hard off-roading is done.

IMG_0070.jpg

Here's the Iron Rock Off-road Slip Yoke Eliminator and driveshaft. It is the front driveshaft out of a XJ with the AW4 automatic and NP231 TC. New u-joints (3).

What I learned was the 3 bolts holding the cone on the end of the NP231 is NOT symmetrical (not an equilateral triangle - 60*). It only goes on one way so don't be too fast to dismiss it as not drilled properly.

IMG_0067.jpg

Looking good mate. Glad it has turned out well.
Might have to take those extra islotators back out the front to level it up if it doesn't drop soon.

lowrange2: Forgot to respond to one of your comments.

I like the look of the Detours product also and looking hard at the slider/frame stiffener device but freight to west coast will be significant.

There are already recovery points installed, though in the pics they are hard to see. The front license plate is actually mounted in a receiver hitch and there is a rear receiver hitch as well ... both are Draw-Tite as they seemed to have the best clearance.

I understand another up-side to front and rear receivers on an XJ is frame stiffening. Can't speak to that as of now but it seems reasonable.

iphone pirate: If it is the same lift height, it might be because mine was just installed and is still setting a bit high (not settled).

Oil Town XJ: After I do some trimming for clearance, I plan to remove all the flares, grill, "bumpers", etc and repaint. I too like the look. One thing I wanted to accomplish with this build was to make a trail-ready rig but still maintain a "responsible" appearance in the community. Good for a public that may be asked to restrict access at some point if they know and see someone who "looks" like a responsible party. I'm the same way with my motorcycle.

We're always in the public eye and should never miss the opportunity to make a positive impression.

GoJeep: Actually I still want to do the rear shock relocation you demonstrated on your site so may go "up" in back if things do not settle in front.

As I stated previously, the track bar is getting out toward the edge on the front of the track bar mount. My thought is to weld a plate to the front of the "channel" to give more material. As the existing mount is only 1/8" steel channel, then adding a 1/8" steel plate to the front that extends 1/4" below and 1/4" further toward the driver's side should be more than sufficient, strength-wise. The back part of that channel has NOT been cut off like the front so there is plenty of strength back there.

One other item I noted when doing the relocation: while allowing the front to droop during the install of the front suspension, it was noted that it appeared to be limited by some part or another and we assumed TREs. While relocating, I saw the the track bar actually had contacted the top of the channel as it was mis-shappen from the round track bar contacting the flat upper edge. By moving the bar out further, I actually added significantly more droop. Not sure how much as of yet.

As I have the v8ZJ tie rod yet to install, I will be replacing all TREs with units that have more movement thus adding more droop. Hey, part of the fun is finding the combinations instead of just buying. I'm also thinking (DANGER, Will Robinson!) at the same time I'll do an OTK to eliminate some of the angles. Still working on that one, though.

The next thing on the list to do was relocate and secure the front and rear brake lines.

After a fair amount of research, I discovered you do not need to get longer brake lines but relocate the ones that are already in place. GoJeep has a write-up on doing the rear brake line and most of the suspension suppliers have a similar bracket for the front.

After finishing, full flex is still there.

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

Back