• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1993 Cherokee (XJ) Country: Build by ArmyDad

I can tell you that you'll have some significant bumpsteer with those steering angles but it shouldn't be too aweful bad. Hopefully you'll have better luck with that than I did. Get those pictures up!

POST SOME PICTURES!

I went to the Photobucket page yesterday and it looked odd ... very low graphic and just ODD. Also would not let me register. Today I'll revisit and, if the same thing happens, will try another browser. Either way, I'll get some pics up shortly.

Weekend was productive!! Monday night, not so much ...

1 - Torque wrench rented from O'Reilly's was no good. Going back today.
2 - Had to undo some work as 2 bolts were to have been placed on each side before UCA was installed. Not as bad as it sounds.
3 - Had to loosen more work as certain items weren't lining up properly. Lost 17mm socket down the hollow frame on driver's side while loosening what used to be UCA bolt. Last heard rolling toward front spring mount ... bye, bye!
4 - While drilling 1st of four 11/32" holes for self-tapping screws the drill bit "exploded" sending shrapnel in every direction. Score "1" for eye protection!! Oh, and a replacement will get picked up today as well.

I did clean up a bit and get those 4 bolts inserted so the evening was not a total loss (small comfort). Ahhh, well, back at it tonight.

Hey, I got a Photobucket account set up at last after working through some technical issues. I'll start with some before pics so you know what was being described before all the updates started taking place.

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

NO RUST :eek:

austinaubinoe: Cool huh? My guess is the XJ never spent much, if any, time out of California. In that regard, we are indeed fortunate our here.

Here are the results of tonight's work. Only have the front brake lines to secure and track bar to relocate. Those will wait until after the rear gets done. I will need to weld the reinforcement brackets as the self-tapping screw pulled through on one of the four.

Getting more of a feel for how the lift and tire combo will look when finished.

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

lowrange2: Yes they are ... and I still have the center caps to put on as I didn't want to mess with them last night.

The tires will need to come off when the track bar and brake lines are relocated but I also wanted to show my wife (5'00") what she'll be dealing with. I look forward to the "well-placed assist" to help her get in. ;-)

ArmyDad - you should really consider some aftermarket control arms if you haven't. The stockers are nothing more than bent sheet metal and should be upgraded if you plan on wheeling anything remotely tough. Otherwise looking good.

the weirdo: For sure on the CAs. Still a few months away from serious off-road travels so saved the $$$ on the short term and spent them elsewhere.

Going to be doing a lot of JY upgrades. Already have tie rod from v8ZJ. Also looking at lower CAs from WJ as well. Picked up a full set of OEM skid plates for a song ... not as tough as most but better than running with no protection at all. Will be building my own rocker covers, steering brace and rear bump stop plate over time.

I was going to pick up the v8ZJ sway bar, but stopped when it appeared as though the tie rod will hit the lower sway bar mount on the passenger side when at full turn. Gotta research what to do about that.

More pics and drawings when those times come as well.

UPDATE: Did get started on the rear end Wednesday night and, after pulling everything apart, we looked at all the work to be done to make the new spring pack ... uhhhh, not so much. So my son and I went to RE and picked up new 4-1/2" springs, u-bolts and 6* shims Thursday morning. Then last night we finished the rear suspension and got the tires/wheels on. Cherokee looks GOOD!

It was too late to get pics so after I get the track bar relocated today I'll drive over to the same parking lot where the "before" photos were taken and post up the side-by-side pics.

That will leave the SYE, relocating the brake lines, extending the E-brake cables and welding the CADB reinforcement. I'm thinking maybe I'll be done with all but the welding by Super Bowl. WOOHOO!

Man, it must be nice to just drive on over the RE and pick up some lift components. I've never even seen a 4wd vendors store front. Ugh. Interweb, interweb, interweb...

RE is VERY unassuming. If you aren't looking, it looks just like another warehouse. There are no displays so my guess is most sales are internet or through dealers/catalog.

Back