• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

09 Rockfest event planning Q's

KRAKER

NAXJA Forum User
I figure we should get a to do list together. As far as I know TM is still on the table. I'm willing to scout out areas for camp. I'm going to head up there this weekend for the sole purpose of finding a suitable area for camp. But we still need to get to know the area. Is anyone willing to explore the area. Also does anyone know the area well enough to keep the different levels of wheeling busy for the duration of the event?

Are we going to need any kind of land permit? I don't know if we do. If so do we need to get port-o-potties? I beleive we will if we have to if the event is at FJ. Even if Port-o-potties aren't required, we should still get them. I'm sure having that many people in a dry camp would be the best of ideas. Shal weel do business with the same company before? Or shall we shop around for a more competitive price?

Is there a standard protocol we have to follow as far a asking for donations from vendors. i.e. do we have to go through National BOD to solicite from forum sponsors? Or can we contact them ourselves? I'd rather get all of our raffle items ourselves so we can keep all of the money raised.

Do you think event T-shirts might be a good idea for the event? If so we should do presales. That way we don't end up with too much overstock. If so we could model the T-shirt program after what Goatman has done. Have Arizona chapter members, users, and supporters enter pics of their rigs, to compete for the picture on the T-shirt. Not only will it get most involved it will get attention from others.

When are we looking to hold the event? Last year was in march sometime. Traditionally all events are held on around the same time. It would be best if we followed suit. Just so people will always know when our event is.

Well any Questions comments complaints are welcomed. If I missed something speak up.

Were looking at holding the event the last weekend in March for 4 days. Thur - Sun with Sunday being mostly camp cleanup and maybe a light trail run for those that dont want to head out early.
The dates will be set in stone in the next few days as John P is scouring other clubs to make sure there event is not the same weekend.

As far as asking Vendors, I pretty much called up those I knew and begged for shit. This year I would like to be more formal and get a banner that we can advertise there stickers on and help promote there product.
Maybe a Arizona RockFest 2009 in the middle with big letters and a tread pattern across it and lots of room for vendors.

Yes we need permits for this event at FJ and I am pretty sure at TM if we end up there. Permits I think are 50 bux and take about 30 days to get so we need to get moving on that. Check out the arizona state trust land website for that.

T-Shirts are a GREAT idea, something like the Banner with the rockfest and a tread pattern and maybe even the option of personalizing them if pre-ordered. I will talk to a new local printer and see what he has top offer.

Alan and Kraker should get together and have a phone conf to get some stuff hashed out if needed.

Lata

I have sent an email to BLM LEO asking about permits for TM. Still don't have a response.
Aszunmi has a lead for vinyl stickers. I asked him about pricing and he said he would need some idea of the what we want on the sticker.

DaveO has someone on the side for stickers as well. He gets the ArizonaXJ stickers made up periodically, but they are a tad bit on the expensive side IMO. I bought them anyway.

The guy who did the AZVJC stickers and other things is my best friend (Michael / Skatchkins). He owns a print shop. Let's discuss what our needs our, what we want to do, and start putting our resources together.

Turn around time is quick with Mike. He also does banners, vinyl stickers, window banners, etc, et al...

What's the best day for a conference call.

I can meet up pretty much anytime. When are you guys free? We should get together as soon as possible. I'd like to get as much done asap. That way we don't end up fighting the clock near crunch time.

Last edited:
I've been wrenching dark to dark this week so I missed some of this until this morning. Sunday evening (after 5) would work best for me. 602-478-3014

Talked to WoundedXJ yesterday. He has about 2 weeks of intense training left and then he will be more involved in the planning.

Talked with BLM LEO yesterday (a friend). He says currently there is not a good staging area for putting a large camp out at TM. With some searching we might find one, but there isn't one that right on the main road. That's why the AZ Classic Bronco club uses the campground in Rock Springs as their staging (host) area and then they drive to the trail head each day. A permit is required for a group of 50+.

I stand by my suggestion that we do FJ this year and plan for TM for next year, but I will flow with the group decision.

WoundedXJ checked with the shop that did the hats. They are out of business. He is going to try and find the previous owner and get the hat pattern from her. In the meantime, I will check with the Athletic Director at my college to see who they use for shirts/hats/etc and see what options we have there.

I too agree with FJ this year, TM next year and we do it right instead of half ass throwing it together due to pressure. I know TM better than FJ, but need to scout it, pre-run it, and really make 2010 a kick butt event. We can even look at a date for next year and announce it at this years event, etc... plus the location.

Sunday night is good for me, but after 6, not 5, if that's OK with everyone.

Cool.

Jon wanted us to post ideas and stuff here so everyone can see what's going on. One of my ideas was that as we get closer and get more things decided, to work with "regional" drivers to help organize and motivate the wheelers in their area, so that the people coming are committed to a closer knit group than just individual committments.

I asked RoxJox in Flag... just a feeler, really, but here was his response:

Originally Posted by alanzona
"!f u c4n r34d th!5 u r3411y n33d t0 g37 14!d"

Too funny, man. Sorry I can read that...

Hey, as we get closer to Rockfest, I'm looking at getting regional folks to help generate interest... i.e. once we get exact dates, etc... I'd like to make a person in Flag, person in Phoenix, person in Tucson, etc... to help organzie the who's goin, are we camping together, let's do a Jeep parade down there, type thing to ensure the whole group makes it, has fun, and gets to know each other... interested?

Sure man!! I'd love to help out. Let me knwow hat you'd like me to do or what you need from me. Thanks for including me!!

So, just an idea, but as we get details, let's organize "community groups" basically, to organize teh groups of wheelers to make sure it's a huge turn out. Crash (for example) can help drive folks in the west valley area, RoxJox in Flag, someone in Sedona, etc, et al...

just posting ideas. Kraker and I are trying to set up a conference call to determine the "who does what" committee for tomorrow (sunday) night.

Count me in. After 6 is ok. I like the Regional idea.

As for dates- Brian and I have been discussing the last weekend in Mar. The 2 weekends prior to that are Spring Break weekends and EJS is the 1st weekend in April. The last weekend of Mar is the same weekend that it was held last year.

I would say it is a solid for me. If you guys all Agree, I think it would be proper for our Event Coordinators to create the new Rockfest 2009 thread announcing the dates and location.

Both John P and I are good with those dates 26 - 29 in March
I am out for a conf call tonight, but might be able to get one done in the next few days. I suggest you guys post your ideas once you have collected them and we can go from there.

Can I please get everyones e-mail address? I am going to use a service called freeconference.com to schedule a conf call. The only prob is that it uses a Long Distance number but that shouldnt matter since we will probably use our Cell phones anyway.

Ok, so which one of you event guys want to make the NEW thread announcing the OFFICIAL DATES and LOCATION of Arizona Rockfest 2009?

I say we get that posted TONIGHT and we can announce trails and leaders later when we get them lined up.

Also, I am impressed with your guys willingness to step up and do this thing. I am hoping for alot more of this from more and more members through out the year when they see us actually doing stuff together.

Lata

Back