• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Durango Steering Mod

durango box + V8 WJ pump = sex

yes it does. i love my durango box and wj pump, but i still have to mod the box to get lock to lock. oh well, sometime this summer in the AZ heat...:gonnablow

So, I mainly want to do this mod to decrease the amount of play (reaction time) in my steering. I can turn my wheel a half a turn before noticing any reaction at the wheels. Have all the people that have done this mod noticed an improved response in every case? Also, my wheel is smaller than stock (it's a GT grant)
Sounds to me like a worn sector shaft. You can try adjusting the bolt on the top to take out the slack but from the sound of it you need a new box.

Sounds to me like a worn sector shaft. You can try adjusting the bolt on the top to take out the slack but from the sound of it you need a new box.
k ill try that first thing tomorrow.

just got my durango box 99 w.out plow, im wanting to do the mod to make it unlimited steering, is that just grinding the four tabs off the cover? Since its not installed i figured it would be a great time to rebuild it with new gaskets etc...? what yall think?

just got my durango box 99 w.out plow, im wanting to do the mod to make it unlimited steering, is that just grinding the four tabs off the cover? Since its not installed i figured it would be a great time to rebuild it with new gaskets etc...? what yall think?

:confused:

Did you even read the thread?

Before you tear into it, check to see how many turns you get out of the input shaft. If it turns 3.5 or so turns then it does not need to be modded. If it turns only 3 times then you might want to do the mod.

Ok so i read the post, and from what I gather remove the spacer, grind the four tabs off and reassemble with new seals, gaskets, bearings, and lots of patience? Im game! I'll post the results.

Ok so i read the post, and from what I gather remove the spacer, grind the four tabs off and reassemble with new seals, gaskets, bearings, and lots of patience? Im game! I'll post the results.

Yup

Thanks guys!

BTW, if you are working on a '97 or newer XJ DO NOT allow the steering wheel to rotate while the steering shaft is disconnected from the gear box. you could very well ruin your clockspring. Don't ask me how I know.

There is a warning regarding this in the Haynes Manual, Chapter 10.
If someone could update the original post here... this applies to 95 and 96 XJs with cruise control as well. It does not apply to 95 and 96 XJs without cruise, and does not apply to 94 and earlier XJs at all.

Just installed my durango box and it does seem easier to turn the wheel from a dead stop. Though I can only turn my wheel 3 times so I need to look into the box mod to fix that. Install was straight forward and simple. Recommended espically if your box goes bad like mine did.

If you have a box that isn't leaking and doesn't need a rebuild. Could you just grind the tabs off the front cover, instead of taking the box all the way apart for the spacer?

So you want to turn 1.5 turns to the right and 1.75 turns to the left? :dunce:

Its a fixed ratio box so adjust your drag link and have 1.625 turns in both directions

Stering wheel would not be centered and your blinkers will not cut out properly when they should.

Durango Steering is leaking after the Mod

I just finished this. I removed the spacer at the bottom of the piston bore and milled .130" off the end cap to match the spacer thickness. I replaced all the seals in the seal kit. Now the box is in the XJ and it is leaking from around the over-center adjustment screw at the top of the sector gear. There is no O-ring or other seal at this point that could have failed. I read on a vintage Mustang forum that there may be a failed O-ring elsewhare in the box, causing this area to be pressurized when it should not be. Has anybody seen this condition? Any advice would be appreciated.
TIA
MoFo

Fix for box leak after mod

I also posted this question on another board. Another member PM'd me to call him at his place of business. This guy knows Saginaw boxes. He told me to use Loctite thread sealer under the locknut for the sector gear adjustment screw. The area between the screw threads and nut are sealed with the nyon nut insert. He confirmed that this tip is not in any instructions that he has seen packed with any rebuild or seal kit. He said he found it in an old rebuild manual from Saginaw. I could not find Loctite thread sealer anywhere locally. I called Loctite tech support. They told me Loctite no longer makes the threadsealer. I was told to use Loctite 222 or 242 Threadlocker. He said 10 minutes to setup and 24 hours till a full cure. I had plenty of 242, so I put that on at noon. I filled the pump at 8:00 PM. I drove it for about 150 miles and there is no evidence of leaking. If you are rebuilding or resealing your Saginaw box, make sure you put Loctite on your parts list.

I love digging up old stuff thanks guys.

I went to checkers today and they were able to choose a snow plow option on the 98 Durango with a 5.9L
Just a heads up for those that are searching. I get it tomorrow and will post up if all goes well soon. Hopefully I won't have to crack it open!!

Back