• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Durango Steering Mod

nope not all - it's a crap shoot on which box you get unless you pull it yourself. I pulled mine from a verified 99 Durango v8 4x4, and it worked perfect and as intended without modding the box

i have a durango box built by old_man. im about to put it in, however some reading on here indicates that the pump needs modding. is this in all cases, or just a select few? i'd hate to go through bleeding the system just to find out i have to take the lines off again.
i hate oil messes :)
ill be doing hydro assist in the not too distant future if that matters.

For hydro assist and the larger saginaw box, I would consider a whole new pump type....something that pushes more volume. The larger box with a ram likes fluid and things get a little slower than they could be with the TC pump.

Ask me how I know....

even then it can be a crapshoot, who knows if the previous owner(s) put a remanufactured box in it before it went to the junkyard, and whether they verified if it had the right number of turns stop to stop before installing it.

agreed, but far less likely.

nope not all - it's a crap shoot on which box you get unless you pull it yourself. I pulled mine from a verified 99 Durango v8 4x4, and it worked perfect and as intended without modding the box
not the box, the pump. my box is already good to go.

For hydro assist and the larger saginaw box, I would consider a whole new pump type....something that pushes more volume. The larger box with a ram likes fluid and things get a little slower than they could be with the TC pump.

Ask me how I know....
Thanks Cal. have you figured out a good (affordable) pump option yet?
Do you think the stock xj pump will handle the durango box without hydro assist for the time being without modding the pump?
it's a 91 if that matters. i also have a 94 zj pump, not sure if it's different.
i saw jeeper john had to mod his pump a little bit, which is why i ask. i'll see him today so maybe i'll pick his brain a little bit too.

oh ok. No stock pump is fine.

If you're going hydro in the future i'd look into upgrading to a WJ pump or an aftermarket PSC or similar, but for now you'd be fine.

Thanks Cal. have you figured out a good (affordable) pump option yet?
Do you think the stock xj pump will handle the durango box without hydro assist for the time being without modding the pump?
it's a 91 if that matters. i also have a 94 zj pump, not sure if it's different.
i saw jeeper john had to mod his pump a little bit, which is why i ask. i'll see him today so maybe i'll pick his brain a little bit too.

Affordable and good are never the same. I don't think that way plus I will pay to make things right. I am not the typical cheap cherokee owner.

A stock pump will handle the durango box alone but it gets slower. Add a ram it gets even slower.

Ideally a high pressure high volume pump would be best (like a P or N pump).

Affordable and good are never the same. I don't think that way plus I will pay to make things right. I am not the typical cheap cherokee owner.

A stock pump will handle the durango box alone but it gets slower. Add a ram it gets even slower.

Ideally a high pressure high volume pump would be best (like a P or N pump).
thanks Cracker. i will stick with the stock box until i go with hydro assist.

A stock pump can be modified for both higher pressure and higher volume but it would be easier and probably better to buy a ported and modified box from PSC or a similar company.

they can, but it's not a good idea. The stock seals were never meant to handle higher pressures and flow rates. Hell i've blow the seals on mine with 235s just coming down a dirt trail lol.

another thing not mentioned would be a overdrive pulley swap - which would give higher pressure at low RPMs. I've seen them around

A stock pump can be modified for both higher pressure and higher volume but it would be easier and probably better to buy a ported and modified box from PSC or a similar company.

Actually, the TC pump is limited on its volume. Sure, it will 'work' but 'work' and 'work well' are not the same.

Yeah, it's much easier to buy a box designed for your purposes.

:confused:

They work TOGETHER. You want to match the flow of what you need power wise to the appropriate pump AND box AND maybe a ram.

anything's gotta be better than my half seized xj box. i'm definitely swapping this thing out before i drive it again.

so i got my durango box in a while ago. it works ok.
turning force seems ok, or even improved.
i may be feeling a hint of slowness, but i'm trying to determine if it's alignment or if it's slowness. it seems like it's a bit slow to return to center, it almost holds it's position wherever it's pointed. can the box cause this if the volume or pressure is low?
alignment checked and seemed to be pretty good, within spec.

Back