• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Durango Steering Mod

so i got my durango box in a while ago. it works ok.
turning force seems ok, or even improved.
i may be feeling a hint of slowness, but i'm trying to determine if it's alignment or if it's slowness. it seems like it's a bit slow to return to center, it almost holds it's position wherever it's pointed. can the box cause this if the volume or pressure is low?
alignment checked and seemed to be pretty good, within spec.

it is because of higher volume the box requires. Naturally it will be slower than the almost 1/2" smaller piston in the stock XJ box.

ok, just wanted to confirm before i look into upgrading my pump.
of course now i need to look into swapping an axle shaft and drag link first......

Thread resurrection...

Hey Vanimal, I am having the same problem as you described:

i may be feeling a hint of slowness, but i'm trying to determine if it's alignment or if it's slowness. it seems like it's a bit slow to return to center, it almost holds it's position wherever it's pointed. can the box cause this if the volume or pressure is low?

Have you figured out the problem? I have a PSC gearbox. Previous one was shot from previous owner. The steering is very responsive, but won't return to center. Alignments are all good. Caster is great. I wonder if I need a new pump like cracker described. I hadn't thought about the PSC box needing a higher volume/pressure pump.

2000xj, 3" lift. IRO adjustable upper/lower control arms, IRO double shear adjustable trackbar, IRO H&T rear. 4* shims.

i havent fixed it, however i havent tried. the plan was to change the pump eventually.

Return to center is caused by steering geometry, not the box. The easy way to prove that is to disco the pitman arm and fire up your rig. Turn the wheel and see if it returns to center.

nobody is suggesting that as i'm pretty sure that's common sense. but with poor power steering, it does act differently.
my van returns to center just fine when the power steering is working, however not very well when the engine is off and i'm coasting down the road.

Back