• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Durango Steering Mod

ok so what ive gather if i buy a durango box its a bolt in swap right? but there are some that dont need to be modded for the turning radius right thanks geoff l. P.S. plus its stronger or the same as the stock xj bow right??

Sorry to resurect an old thread but my question was is the Durango box a fixed gear ratio like the yj or is it variable like the xjs? It was never directly stated in any of the write-ups but maybe im just dumb lol.

i just took my box apart yesterday and it looks like it's fixed ratio. the worm gear from the xj box has a tighter pitch near the ends, and that's where the variable ratio comes in. the pitch of the durango box is fixed...

but anyways, good thread. i got it apart using the writeup on PBB (link) and then didn't have a clue what "spacers" to remove. this was the only thing i could find that had some good, concrete info on that.

ausi02- don't appologize for ressurecting an old thread. it's good that you searched and didn't just start a new thread. hell, i was going to bring it to the top for good tech.

Thanks for finding this! :thumbup:

~Scott

And another resurrect for a good old thread. I've been searching till my eyes are about to bleed. Need to buy this box before the weekend. I'm going on to my third steering box & since I'm paying someone to do the work, I don't want to end up with a box having the reduced turning radius, only to ave the guys remove/hack the box & do it all again. Can't afford it. So. Definitively, is there any trick to telling ( before istallation) whether the box has the reduced turning range?

Sorry to resurrect but I am at the pont where I am trying to install ball bearings successfully. I Finally got all 24 in with my hillbilly arbor tool after hours of tries but how do I get the worm shaft back in the rack piston with a big ass piece of paper in the way??? This is puzzling the hell out of me.

wait how is that going to work when the worm shaft is going back into the rack piston on the same side as the bearings. Maybe im dumb but do I remove the nut on the backside of the rack piston and pull paper out through there?

When looking for a durango box to use, is there a tell as to whether or not it has the spacer that needs removal? I ask this to avoid tearing aprt the box.

Since the Durango box is a fixed ratio, could you just grind the tabs off the cover, adjust the drag link and call it good? I am considering this upgrade but would rather not tear the whole thing apart. I know I'm capable of doing it, but i'm lazy :)

well its doneand back together, I first had it done and forgot to put the bearing and washers back on the worm shaft, I almost killed myself but drank another beer with a buddy and re did it. THen I lost a bearing on the next try but managed to get it in since it was towards the end. I just hope this thing doesnt leak once I have it installed or I will really kill myself. I measured the turns and its about 3.5 total revolutions now without spacer and tabs. can anyone tell me what a normal cherokee box has?

well I have box installed and in and its quiet and I have a much better turning radius so thats good but....... When I turn to the right the steering is nice and light, when I turn to the right its still a bit heavy, basuically uneven and its causing the vehicle to want to pull right because of this. Do I need to adjust the adjuster screw on the top plate????

well I have box installed and in and its quiet and I have a much better turning radius so thats good but....... When I turn to the right the steering is nice and light, when I turn to the right its still a bit heavy, basuically uneven and its causing the vehicle to want to pull right because of this. Do I need to adjust the adjuster screw on the top plate????

Make up your mind, which way is which?? I don't think the sector shaft adjustment would change it from side to side. Are you sure it's centered?

I am pretty sure since I removed everything with it centered. then made sure the durango box was aligned before install. I had to rotate the the box just a bit to align it with the steering shaft. My side to side turning radius is real close. BUt now its pulling hard to the right while driving and turning from straight to the right it takes little effort one finger steering but turning from straight to left is difficult and takes a lot more effort. I really dont know how to describer it much better than that.

IMG_7982.jpg

IMG_7983.jpg

IMG_7984.jpg

these probably dont help but thats pretty much how its its centered right now. I dont see how I can adjust the box anymore at this point so it looks to me I did something wrong somehow internally. Maybe I over tightened something I dont know. Guess im giving up and saving for a bad as psc pump and box.

Back