• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Your Ideal XJ

Yup that about sums it up. I hope when I wad mine up into a big metal ball, I can take all my goodes and incorperate them into something Jeep, with a short wheelbase and coil springs in the front at least?

hay sideshow, rocktrack comes out of a Rubicon. i myself would love one of them.

Thanks

Just a few notes that haven't really been discussed at length that I think this thread deserves:

1. I have said this before and I will say this again. Anything over 33's on an XJ is asking for trouble down the road. A cage, frame stifeners, etc, etc etc all can help but personally I think we end up with way too much time/money/weight into stiffening the steering box area, frame rails, cage, support, rocker tie ins, rear suspension points due to the weak "frame rails".

2. The D30 is a cheap (very strong) axle in stock form. A few minor enhancements with stock 297 joint axles and a full case locker and it does VERY well.

3. The upgrade to a D44 is relatively expensive and provides VERY few strength improvements in my mind (pinion is the primary improvement in my mind).

4. Axle gear choices also help limit tire sizes. If you accept the D30 info above, with 4.88's a 33" tire is about perfect. Given this, the cost to go above a 33" tire on a cherokee is VERY expensive in cost and weight (D44 (only for deeper gears), frame stiffening, cage, etc like stated above).

5. I think there are two general trains of thought. Cherokee's are cheap and disposable. Put on a lift, axles, etc and tranfer them from body to body as needed. OR the alternative is the idea of cage, stiffeners, bigger tires and keep cutting body to save weight until it is a hybrid Cherobuggy.

Just a few thoughts.
Michael

For the most part I agree with your thoughts. 33's are the limit for a Cherokee before it gets expensive and unreliable. I somewhat disagree about the D44 though for sheer weight carrying capability and toughness. Once most of the known weak points on a D30 are addressed to live with 35's or 33's with HARD use I believe the housing becomes the weak point, a D44 has much thicker tubes and a stronger housing. No doubt its a marginal improvement over the D30 compared to a one-ton axle but that's all we need, call it a safety margin. I would build a D44 if it was affordable. Isn't it perfect for the second alternative, non-disposable, train of thought?

I know I am going to get flamed for this. But anyway I have owned many XJ's since my first YJ. And in the years I have learned frameless XJ's are only throw away rigs used and never re-used for long term. they do have a great purpose though. Great for offroading for a limited time or unlimited budget. Great for a daily driver or soccer mom.

Dave
I used to get pissed when I heard the metaphor of, "An XJ is like a Bic lighter, disposable."

However there is some truth to it. If you wheel it hard without reinforcing the unibody, it's only going to last so long before the suspension mounts start to fatigue, steering box area weakens, and the body is no longer true. I've been wheeling my Jeep consistently for 6+ years (270K), so keep in mind they do last awhile. I'm just now starting to notice the signs of an aged unibody.

On the other hand if you add a full cage that's tied into the unibody, and plate the rails, you've basically turned your XJ into an XJ Truggy. You still may get the fatigued mounts, and have to chase some cracks in un-reinforced areas (cowl), but the whole chassis is much stouter. The question is, are the modifications to prolong the unibody worth it? Some say yes, some say no. It's personal preference. Take a look through the AdFab Forum.

To build a Wrangler, I'd almost consider a wheel base stretch a requirement (100"+). Add a decent cage to that, and soon your close to the amount of work put into a reinforced XJ. Start with a CJ, and you'll be reinforcing the stock frame, ditching the carburetor, and stretching the wheelbase.

There's no "ultimate" vehicle out there. Everything's a compromise. ;)

Last edited:
To build a Wrangler, I'd almost consider a wheel base stretch a requirement (100"+). Add a decent cage to that, and soon your close to the amount of work put into a reinforced XJ. Start with a CJ, and you'll be reinforcing the stock frame, ditching the carburetor, and stretching the wheelbase.

There's no "ultimate" vehicle out there. Everything's a compromise. ;)

When I had my CJ the frame on it was fish plated all over to keep the weak tear points form ripping apart. In my opinion its how you treat your rig to. Bouncing all over the rocks with the skinny pedal slammed will thrash any rig. I've wheeled frame rigs and now I have a frameless, but a little clever placement of some steel and it will remedy most issues. Look at it this way too. By the time you even think about buying a YJ, LJ, JK etc youve built a nice XJ for just the purchase price. For a general all purpose wheeling rig that can tow a trailer, haul the kids to school or pick up groceries you just cant beat an XJ.

They are great rigs, and I agree. I just need to figure out how to open the top for the summer, and make it water proof for the winter, and still be able to stack stuff on top.
I will probably need to wait until its caged. Becasue thats what I really miss about my CJ, well that and the 304ci

Great topic. It all comes down to where one's interests go it seems. Over the years I have seen that. Perhaps the XJ is the ultimate starter/gateway rig. It is limited but it is cheap and can do a lot of stuff reasonably well but perhaps not exceptionally well. It really is an SUV. I think I have just resisted to the temptation to upgrade my transfer case. :) trying to keep the rig with the original design as an all round expedition vehicle.

Ideal XJ

92-94 4 door Late model front end
4.7 stroker NV4500 231 crawler box Flipped D300 w4:1
35x14.5" Pitbull Rockers on 10" aluminum beadlocks
Front:
HP D44 front 5.13 33 Spline ARB CTM u-joints
4-link with aluminum links axle forward 2"
High stear

Rear:
Hi9 5.13 35spline ARB
Rear MJ leafs with axle moved back 3"

Moab 4x4 outpost front bumper
rear bumper with hitch and shackle mounts

My Ideal XJ is the one that is in my avatar because it`s together and everything works at this time ..:yelclap: it`s worked for the last 10 years.

My Ideal XJ is the one that is in my avatar because it`s together and everything works at this time ..:yelclap: it`s worked for the last 10 years.

Same here. Mine has been proven everywhere in the current configuration, so nothing is going to change. Once the body is worn out, the running gear is going into a TJ Unlimited with minimal lift and a Highline hood/fender kit.

this
IMG_0305.jpg

but with a 3 link front axle with coilovers and a front dana 60 on 37" mtrs

Great topic. I had what I considered a near-perfect XJ build before I destroyed it. I really like the '91-'95 era, 4.0L HO AW4. I liked my 242 for the versatility, I understand the slight strength/aftermarket advantages of the 231. A swapped XJ D44 in the rear and upgraded shaft D30 in front, selectable lockers in both. 4.5"-6" of lift with the right suspension, long-arms are very nice for both ride quality and flex. 33"/35" mud tires of choice, the MTR Kevlars seem the consensus go-to tire these days. Rocker, corner, drip-rail and skid protection are a must unless you either don't wheel in the woods or don't care that it'll look like ass in short order. The creature comforts of having a full-cab with climate control, tunes, etc. are what an XJ is all about IMO, I wouldn't chop one up for the life of me.

I will build one again one day, probably not until I get both kids through college (son starts this Fall) but I greatly miss my old XJ. A great platform for a relatively inexpensive build that maintains better comfort on the trail and driveability on the street than anything else IMO.

Haha that's wut happens when you're bored with your buddies and drinking a few brews and just happen to have a sawzal layin around...

Honestly....IF I was going to build an XJ it would not change a whole lot from my current one.
DSCF9733.jpg

It would have a 4.3 on propane and rear steer but other than that it does everything I've ever needed it to do and hauls 4 comfortably. There are certain things that I would definately do the same; ton RG, insets with 40s puts me just about 80" wide, linked and propane. I would however spend some wad on quality coilovers for sure....it's in the plans along with RS but it might be a while LOL

Honestly....IF I was going to build an XJ it would not change a whole lot from my current one.
DSCF9733.jpg

It would have a 4.3 on propane and rear steer but other than that it does everything I've ever needed it to do and hauls 4 comfortably. There are certain things that I would definately do the same; ton RG, insets with 40s puts me just about 80" wide, linked and propane. I would however spend some wad on quality coilovers for sure....it's in the plans along with RS but it might be a while LOL

Definitely one of my favorite cherokees. Kinda why I started building mine the way it is

DSCF9733.jpg

Props. That is a sick rig.

When I started looking at what was the best bang for the buck vehicle for an offroading platform the cherokee is clearly my choice because of the 4.0/AW4 combo. Keep it low and trim everything.
For me:
Hybrid > exo> internal
long arms > short
HO> Renix

In October I am shutting it down for upgrades. I already purchased 42" PBR a Ford 60 front and 10.25 rear. I am going to call the project "Helen Keller with nunchuks" It will be three link front with ORI's. I am not going any taller. I am currently at about 6". I will make a build thread on NAXJA when I start.
184920_10150144495349772_613724771_7923697_7756766_n-1.jpg

Back