• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ on a frame?

choppedXJ.jpg

I put my 2 dr XJ on a frame about 4 years ago , I wish I had of done a little more fab work prior to the build . I only have about 4ft of XJ frame left and that was because of the curvature of the 1/2 ton K5 frame . I removed everything from fire wall out and from under the back seat reward. I used 1/4" plate and welded and bolted the body to the frame I also added a 6 point cage that is tied to the frame. I'm running the stock 350 with 44/ff14 axles locked front and rear. earlier this year i chopped the top due to a roll and moved the radiator to the rear . I have wheeled the wizzz out of this rig and had no failures in the body to frame fabrication. I due wish I would have removed the rest of the XJ frame and sat the body directly on the K5 frame , I would have had to clearance the XJ floor in the rear. the pic above was taken this spring during the roof chop and radiator move. as you can see in the pic I added two more down bars to the cage to keep the radiator safe.

How do you guys think 2x3,6", 0.12,5" wall, welded square tubing. Would work as a custom frame ? Im thinking of ditching the old flimsy "frame-rails" totally, and weld on the new frame to the floor. This is not for a XJ though, but its *somewhat* the same concept..

Last edited:
Is this some sort of metric thing that we don't understand??? :dunno: what are the dimensions (inches or millimeters) of this "2x3,6" .120 wall tubing?

ECU88XJ said:
Is this some sort of metric thing that we don't understand??? :dunno: what are the dimensions (inches or millimeters) of this "2x3,6" .120 wall tubing?

Everything is translated into inches - it cant be that hard :wierd:

haha, yeah i'm still confused....my only explanation now would be you're going to use a combination of 2x3 AND 2x6, which would indeed make sense. Hopefully I got the riddle. :)

OH, and still..what does that last 5" signify?

OH again...2nd edit...I see you're from norway...so I guess you're pardoned :laugh3:

3.5" ?

maybe he isnt used to the english fraction using measurements....

Some foreign countries (maybe his) use a "," in place of a "."

Perhaps he means 2 x 3.6 tubing. Of course this would be very hard to find.

just something I noticed in the humvee rims pic. Those have the magnesium run flats, and magnesium burns. The Army stopped using them b/c they'd catch fire and you can't put it out unless you have a metal x extinguisher. But then again, that only happens when you run with a flat tire on the street for a while. Just something I thought I'd put out there.

C-ROK said:
Thanks for all your insight here :eyeroll:

Yes Cherokees did not come with frames. Nor did they come with Dana 60s, 39" tires, full cages, 300HP engines, locked axles and whatever other host of items and modifications we might make to our vehicles.
Ya know...... like the kinds of things you might discuss on a message board dedicated to "Advanced Fabrication" for Cherokees.

Yes, essentially everything we will be discussing here is going to involve things that factory did not intend for the Cherokee to have.

But thanks for the advice, despite 4 years of wheelin' it hard across the US, I now know that my vehicle doesn't work.

LMAO...well said. I've only got about a decade of wheelin' in my XJ and have always wondered what the "hype" was abouta frame...lol

Back